It's the most moronic idiotic thing I've ever seen

Status
Not open for further replies.
A UPS feeder driver(semi truck driver) told me he's seeing more older men and women in their 50's and 60's mucking with a smartphone while driving.

dont-believe-everything-you-see-on-the-internet.jpg

I'm with you on this one.

I leave my cellphone at home mainly and use it as a ground line.

If I am going somewhere and it makes it easier that you don't loose eachother in a mall if shopping together etc. I use it.

If it is a work day, it is at home.

I absolutely hate texting, I am super fast typing etc but it feels like a conversation "never ends".

I hate the feeling of always being reachable, I need to unplug from technology.

But, I have a character that I need to be able to "unplug" from people too and do my own thing.

I never feel alone when I have one with me. If I am with too many people all the time, and they can always reach me no matter where I am or what I am doing, I feel like I miss myself and want to spend time with myself.

I like my own thoughts, I argue less lol.

Plugging myself into the douchey Matrix lifestyle of texting is too Borg for me.

I like to be left the eff alone sometimes.

It is a digital leash. I love to "forget it in the glovebox" conveniently if it irks me.

I really, really hate it. I like to be an individual too much I guess.

But whatever I guess. I don't Facebook either. And don't ask me if I do. I'm here in your face now, ask away. I'll pay the coffee.

Last edited:
These threads about idiots and smartphones, always end up with many apologists and excuse makers defending the use of them. Accusations of not being "up" on technology and so forth. And the inevitable comparisons toward other inventions and the impact they had on society and that anybody that doesn't accept them and how they are used is somehow an old, antiquated relic of the past.

Hogwash. The things have uses that can be valuable...but they are costing us all much more than they are worth. Trying to explain what I mean is a waste of time....so I won't bother.

An epidemic for sure. I hate the over use of the stupid phones. I have one, but I don't use it when I am out with others. I also don't use it while driving because that's just dumb.

Better thought here Dishdude... those kids better stay off my car. There's a concept.

I don't mind phones or ones that are "smart". I am using a smartphone right this moment. But there is a proper time and place for everything... driving and texting using a smartphone... not a good time or place to use it. Out with dinner with family or significant other.. not a proper time or place.... at your own home with guests over... not a proper time or place.. hey let's look at pj pants.... at home chilling around... fine. Proper place. At the local grocery store say like Freshmarket.. wrong time and place for pj pants... women wearing tight shorts that barely cover their hindparts at home... fine time and place for that. Wearing shorts that are that short out and about in a public setting... no. Wrong place and time to wear that. Now look, I like good looking women. But wearing what I call hooker shorts or skirts is a bit much out in public. Women who can dress professionally and look really good doing that= impressive and can be doggone hot too.

It's all about proper place and time for everything. We are losing this concept in this country. And it's not for the better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Better thought here Dishdude... those kids better stay off my car. There's a concept.

I don't mind phones or ones that are "smart". I am using a smartphone right this moment. But there is a proper time and place for everything... driving and texting using a smartphone... not a good time or place to use it. Out with dinner with family or significant other.. not a proper time or place.... at your own home with guests over... not a proper time or place.. hey let's look at pj pants.... at home chilling around... fine. Proper place. At the local grocery store say like Freshmarket.. wrong time and place for pj pants... women wearing tight shorts that barely cover their hindparts at home... fine time and place for that. Wearing shorts that are that short out and about in a public setting... no. Wrong place and time to wear that. Now look, I like good looking women. But wearing what I call hooker shorts or skirts is a bit much out in public. Women who can dress professionally and look really good doing that= impressive and can be doggone hot too.

It's all about proper place and time for everything. We are losing this concept in this country. And it's not for the better.

We all agree no one should be driving and using their smartphone. As for the other stuff? None of my business, I don't care what people do. If someone wants to go to a restaurant and use their phone the entire time, let them. Skimpy clothes in public? You don't have to look.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
We all agree no one should be driving and using their smartphone. As for the other stuff? None of my business, I don't care what people do. If someone wants to go to a restaurant and use their phone the entire time, let them. Skimpy clothes in public? You don't have to look.

Not so funny event happened with a friend and her husband, out celebrating her birthday and their first wedding anniversary (they were defacto for a long, long time, so the wedding was quite late in the relationship).

Over what should have been a romantic evening, her phone went flat while texting her friend, and she wanted to take a photo of her food and send it to her friend...borrowed HIS phone to do same, and found the sexting that he was sharing with one of her employees...having an affair.

All went to whoop at that point, and she admitted some years later that the texting at the table while on their anniversary indicated how disengaged she'd become also.

Actually worked out well for both of them.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
261759_10201526065860542_1313897507_n1.jpg

1. My smartphone is why I know that's a bull____ quote that Einstein never made.

2. Einstein helped create a technology that finally gave man the power to destroy the planet Earth and every form of life on it, leaving billions in fear of being vaporized for better than 40 years.

Sitting at a red light the other day - major city in SE Asia - wide road inersection downtown.
Guy walks full speed into the side of our van. 3 guesses what his eyes were on.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
If anyone walks into me while looking at their phone, I can guarantee it'll go to the floor. Maybe that'll get the message home.

That's a good way to get your [censored] beat. Do you feel like paying for a $900 phone?

I concur that kind of use is inappropriate. I won't use mine at restaurants but family gatherings yes I tend to go off to side after 1hr. I end up getting paid a nice hourly rate to answer questions and keep work moving by answering questions.

I work a remote job and smartphone working life so much easier to flex.

Well it's not a matter of looking.... it's the matter of whether or not it's appropriate. Which wearing certain articles of clothing in public is not the best idea... neither is having ten year girls wearing the EXACT same thing as their mothers. Which I seen. It's plain and simply stupid.

And as far at a restaurant goes... I agree with you that it doesn't bother me at all. But again, is it the best way to go?? No it's not. Be present. Be where you are. In the moment. Be with who you are with.. good bad or indifferent I've seen my co workers in the hospital with their smartphones too... want to guess how many times I have ever even used my phone whole at the hospital with patients under my care?? Two times. When I had taken a call from my mom when her mother, my grandmother was close to passing on and was being taken to the hospital. The other time was when my own sister was downstairs in my own hospital in the ER. That was it. Be present. NOT preoccupied.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
If anyone walks into me while looking at their phone, I can guarantee it'll go to the floor. Maybe that'll get the message home.

That's a good way to get your [censored] beat. Do you feel like paying for a $900 phone?

no, and if that happens they'll be paying for my time off work. Hitting me with a cellphone or not IS assault and battery here. jail time is also possible

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
People constantly staring at these stupid smartphones. Young couples in nice restaurants looking at their phones and not talking to each other. Old people too. Zombies. I'd rather look at the hottie sitting across from me, not a phone. But that's just me.

Some snot nosed imp totalled my car because of this.

How bad is it going to get before it goes out of vogue?

Your car was "totaled" not "totalled". A lack of spelling skills is one of those "moronic, idiotic" things that many of us see on a regular basis.

This isn't limited to smart phones folks. I can't remember if it was Grampi or Pop Rivit that said it, but they refer to the TV as the stupid box.. I tend to agree. Personally, I find very few things entertaining on TV and when i do find something I like, I have to watch more commercials than the show.

I have my online hobby stuff too so I really can't say my entertainment is better than the other and folks are free to spend their time as they wish.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

no, and if that happens they'll be paying for my time off work. Hitting me with a cellphone or not IS assault and battery here. jail time is also possible

Hope the dude doesn't have a couple grams of crank roaring through his bloodstream...you might end up too dead to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back