Is Wix that good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wix/Napa Gold are quality filters IME and in my observation of dissections here. They also have a very good beta making them 95% @ 20um.

That said, I would not pay the prices O'R asks for Wix filters. Prices are about in FU price range, which would make the Ultra the choice.

However my local Napa Store has a semi annual Napa Gold 40% off sale making them or fall seems most common.

As Wix being acquired by M&H, not being clairvoyant can't predict the future. However at this point haven't seen trending indicating a lowering in quality. As long as that doesn't change, I'll continue to use them.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Orileys is expensive on wix filters. Napa is just as bad anymore but run really good sales on the from time to time.

The Napa Gold is a solid filter and Wix rebrand, its a good buy on sale.

I've used only a few Wix filters as they aren't readily available here. Cut one open about a year ago and it was bent/collapased where the top and bottom end plates were not parallel. I can't say they are the best filter.

Wix/NAPA Gold are pretty good filters, but with the proliferation of cheap eBay Fram Ultra 6 packs combined with 15-20% off codes and no sales tax, it seems hard to justify the price tag when it's possible to buy an Ultra for under $4 ( as I did last night)!

Good filter, usd them a lot, but that base bypass valve takes up too much space in small filters. So if you have a small filter. NO. Right now the M1 is a champ labs premium built unit and I use that. Filtech/ Honda S2000 (racing) filter is better in my app but at 14 bucks a pop - I aint going there again.

Media distortion shown above is due to thick oil and water in the sump and/or revving the motor too high cold.

big problem with E10 fuel gumming up filter media. I seem to get only 4 months 4.5 K until I get noisy starts and engine rap rearing its head. So my oil is due for a change this month on the Nissan.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I've used only a few Wix filters as they aren't readily available here. Cut one open about a year ago and it was bent/collapased where the top and bottom end plates were not parallel. I can't say they are the best filter.
>> see image above /\
If it fits, short and fat is better than long and skinny
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Meh...filtration efficiency is overrated lol..i like the cheapo filters..granted my car is an old econobox so that might impact my decisions. Always thought the proselects were great for the price. Solid build construction..sure efficiency not comparable to a Fram Ultra but it does the job just fine for 3$. If I had a newer car id likely use OEM or Napa Gold or Fram Ultra. I also do short oil change intervals so itd likely be a waste using an ultra on a 3-5k mile interval.

LOL maybe in your car run what you want.

Sales tax on most-all internet purchases is coming and right before the Holidays.

Those Fram Ultras on six-pk buys are 2nds. Minor flaws mostly, but once in a while the flaw is something worse. Some of the flaws are inside the can and cannot be seen without a teardown.
Buy at risk of sending them back, which are always a hassle.

I don't like my own personal chattery, restrictive and low standing idle-vibrating Ultras anyways, so the flaws effect-me-not.
Lesson learned and I'll never buy another one (Walmart buy). They are not user/engine-friendly to some of the GM engines.

Yes, every single used one I've cut open has looked brand new. I've used them on cars, mowers, farm tractors, construction equipment, hydraulics, etc.

The local Napa is on my way home from work, so I just stop there to grab a filter. The difference over a few bucks of other filters would be made up with the fuel to drive to the other stores.

Lately when family/friends' cars needed oil changes I've been hitting the Napa oil sales right also.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Those Fram Ultras on six-pk buys are 2nds. Minor flaws mostly, but once in a while the flaw is something worse. Some of the flaws are inside the can and cannot be seen without a teardown.

So how would those filters be identified as 'flawed' and end up on eBay if nobody could look inside (except Superman with X-ray vision)?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Which Wix is 99%+ efficiency.

The one they haven't produced yet
wink.gif

thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Sales tax on most-all internet purchases is coming and right before the Holidays.

Buy at risk of sending them back, which are always a hassle.

I don't like my own personal chattery, restrictive and low standing idle-vibrating Ultras anyways, so the flaws effect-me-not.
Lesson learned and I'll never buy another one (Walmart buy). They are not user/engine-friendly to some of the GM engines.
Most of the ones I've had have been fine-when they haven't been, the seller has refunded my money with no issues, without having to return the (usually dented) one. Maybe when I get my first troublesome Ultra, I'll keep using them-but they seem unkillable so far.

So after reading this thread thought I'd search for some of those "under $4" FUs that are easily obtained. Searched the net and more specifically ebay for the two applications I use, the popular 7317 and 3614. After searching neither of those applications is available for that price or even close. More like ~$10+. Did manage to find one offer of a 3 pack (1 left) of the XG3614 making them about ~$1.30 less than WM everyday price. About the same on RA with purchase of 6 after 5% discount and lowest $7 shipping charge. More for the 7317 application.

Also checked the equivalent FPS series, same no joy. And seems at least on ebay the FPS series run as a source of inexpensive FU may have come to an end.

As noted, obtaining the Napa Gold same as Wix for <$4 twice yearly makes them a good choice. That and mostly doing annual oil changes now prefer not to stash filters in quantity.

Just checked my records and determined that I've been using Wix/NAPA Gold oil filters since at least 2005, which was when I first bought them in bulk ($67 for ten filters plus shipping). Since then I've been ordering a dozen at a time from www.fleetfilter.com. They're still "Made in Poland" and still work just fine. I've put another 580k miles on that engine so about 58 oil changes. I have no plans to ever use any other oil filter in this Golf TDI.

But I do need to stop at NAPA and ask when they will be having a semi-annual sale -- with the cost of shipping Fleet Filter is not especially cheap.

I cut a new Wix Gold a few months ago and it didn't look like anything special. Of course I like the Toyota OEM oil filters which some members denigrate because of filtration ability.Whatever. In about five months and some days I can name names. But I am going to be a little more discreet so as not to upset a certain someone who took umbrage at my frequent posts, no matter that they weren't overly wordy.

The manufacturer oil filter are not as restrictive. That's a good thing. We don't need filters like Ultras to reach 300-400K anymore.
Vehicle engines are built better today and generally won't sludge anymore. They overheat far-less than in decades past also. The gaskets to allow dilution penetration are better-than-ever nowadays.

Buy basic filtering like the Fram EG and sleep well.

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
I cut a new Wix Gold a few months ago and it didn't look like anything special. Of course I like the Toyota OEM oil filters which some members denigrate because of filtration ability.Whatever. In about five months and some days I can name names. But I am going to be a little more discreet so as not to upset a certain someone who took umbrage at my frequent posts, no matter that they weren't overly wordy.

They don't need to look special. As for that which shall not be named, they've not been anything special lately, either, eliminating silicone ADBVs and so forth.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey

They don't need to look special. As for that which shall not be named, they've not been anything special lately, either, eliminating silicone ADBVs and so forth.
Ah yow, we won't name names sir. Thanks. Never intended naming no name to offend. Just an old(don't want to get censored) yammering on. Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back