Motorcraft FL820S vs Wix 51372 CUT OPEN

I can get both of these filters locally for about the same price, so i thought it would be fun to run them both then cut them open and compare.
Both run on my 2001 4.0L Ford Ranger for 6,000-ish Km with 5w30 FS

IMG_9461.jpeg

Wix

IMG_9462.jpeg

Dome-end bypass
IMG_9464.jpeg

IMG_9467.jpeg

6:00
IMG_9468.jpeg

12:00

IMG_9470.jpeg

Thanks for the C&P, I’ve ran a dozen or more of each of those filters, I don’t know your climate but I’ve had more than one of the WIX leak on me during really cold starts, like -25C. No issue with the 820.

IIRC the filtration efficiency on the WIX isn’t the best. I’ve moved on to Champ XL myself to try.

That's probably an Affinia made Wix going by the laser straight pleats, ADBV style and the U.S.A. on the label.

Those were the good days back then. 🙁

When the valve opens briefly during a cold start or if filter becomes loaded up, the oil which is bypassed doesn't flow across the dirty side filter media and back into the engine as it would with a bypass valve located at the dome end..

Sounds logical and better. I wonder why they all aren't made that way then.

The Wix looks great. While it's got the classic type design (excluding bypass), without a date code I can't say it's from when Affinia owned Wix. Could be some time after M&H took over. What's interesting about the 5/1372 application, Wix/(Napa Gold) always used dome bypass. That, even while vast majority other Wix/NG application were using thread/base end bypass. Always wondered why, and if it something to do with Ford/MC rights using base end.

As for base vs dome end bypass, Ford with Motorcraft has been pickier about it. That said, "I" never thought it a big deal either way, Seems Ford now may be thinking similar as some Motorcraft applications for Ford appear to be moving to dome bypass now.

Not keen of the angled pleats area and pleat spacing on the FL820S, but not uncommon in that application. As long as it didn't tear, got the job done. At a longer interval, might not have been the case.

Thanks for c&p.

Of the last 4 FL 820's I changed and cut, 2 had the pleats mis-spaced in the epoxy so there was side pressure on them and one tore the end loose causing a bypass. In the 3rd one the epoxy in the top end had completely came unglued from the steel end cap causing a bypass. Don't believe I'll be buying any more Motorjunk.

I would like to use the Motorcraft FL2121 the Ecore designed one. If Amazon ever gets them. Champ labs may not even be producing them anymore for M&H.

The 820 has been one of Motorcrafts problem children for a while. This one is okay, but sure doesn’t inspire me to use one.
Did you try out a MicroGard Select on your 'Stang? ... or have one to try?

Back