Is this typical? A woman driver story (my wife)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will say that my mother is actually a pretty good driver. Up until their '13 escape, all they had was manual trans vehicles. Never a problem with 80K on numerous vehicles that she drove exclusively with the clutch. And does the speed limit.

However, at home, I always get "Why won't you let me drive your vehicles?". Simple answer: You won't let me teach you how to drive the manual trans Focus. And as for the jeep, you drive 85-90MPH ... that's stupid in a regular car and just dangerous doing in a lifted jeep.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Funnily enough, between myself, my dad, and my mom, my mom is the best driver. By far. When compared to my dad anyway.

My mom took out the garage door with their Expedition. Twice.

She's scary to drive with, LOL!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Nick R
Funnily enough, between myself, my dad, and my mom, my mom is the best driver. By far. When compared to my dad anyway.

My mom took out the garage door with their Expedition. Twice.

She's scary to drive with, LOL!
smile.gif

Eek. Yeah there are 4 people other than myself who's driving I trust. Mom's is first, I am completely comfortable with her driving. My dad, slightly less so because he tends to get really close to people at stoplights. And My grandmother and grandfather who are good drivers, my grandma is slightly more aggressive lol.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Its just a car, nothing important.

I agree if we are talking a one time major car accident that trashed the vehicle and someone could have been seriously injured or worse. In that case you worry about the person and not the mnachine.

However, we are not talking about someone being hurt vs a car's worth. We are talking about a very expensive vehicle being systematically trashed through neglect, apathy, and poor driving skills. I don't agree with saying "it is just a vehicle and not important" in that case.

Maybe you have 10's of thousands of dollars to basically throw away but most people don't. Even if they did most rational people would be upset over the sitation when it doesn't have to happen. This is a situation that can be controlled vs an accident you can't.

Last edited:
My mother is a good driver. My stepfather is...well, OK, but I do not like riding with him...he makes me nervous. I flatly refuse to ride with my sister...I'll hitch-hike first. The last time, I told her flat-out: "Pull over and let me drive, or pull over and let me OUT!" Had she not stopped, opening the door and jumping WAS a viable option. She is hands-down the worst driver I have ever seen. I would honestly ride with someone legally drunk.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Maybe an Expedition isn't a good first car?
27.gif

Something like a volvo 940 wagon or XJ cherokee has fantastic sight lines, is safe, and won't be wider than most other things in its lane.

Or get some curb feelers.

Well, it is true that she didn't hit anything with the 328i. But she also drove it like she was competing for the Winston Cup, which was even scarier.....
shocked.gif

My biggest mistake was teaching my wife to drive and a stick at that. She has "bumped" several things leaves trash in the car and never checks the oil (which it uses) or anything else. I've been very very busy recently house shopping so 3 days ago I asked her to check her tire pressure she said she would. Today I pull in and her tire has 8lbs of air in it. I had to check them of course. She hit a nail but drove on it for god knows how long. It was so deep in the tire, when i went to patch it I had to push the debris in as there was 0 way to get it out. But when i gave her grief for her neglect she just got mad and said its my job......I checked the other tires one had 32 then 34 then somewhere over 50lbs...... she topped them off about 2 months ago she said but as soon as I said well this tire is drastically overfilled she suddenly never didn't air them up....
smile.gif
the women species simply amazes me.

My wife didn't understand that being careful with a new car meant it was worth more when it was time to sell it.... until her newer Toyota was worth HALF because of all the stains, scratches, and dents.

It was sold in favor of an old small suv...which got front and rear steel bumpers as well as rocksliders though it will NEVER be more offroad than our driveway.

So far I have effectively removed bumper scrapes and door dings from the equation. Convincing her it only goes 65 was another good one. Ooo, and convincing her she will roll it if she drives like an idiot because we lifted it was another stroke of genius.

Now...now she just bounces along at the speed limit or below. And me? I have lower insurance rates and sleep a little better.

She usually has a smile on her face while driving her car because "it doesn't even feel like driving, it's so fun!"

Only took 5 years, fear, a small suv, 1400$ worth of lift, and 1700$ worth of rock smashing armor...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ram_man
the women species simply amazes me.

LOL...

True story from last week...

Met my sister to go shopping for our mom's birthday and when we were leaving the Mall there was a Kia SUV a few parking spaces away that had a severely grooved RF brake rotor... I said to sis "look at that" with which she replied "probably belongs to a woman, noises usually mean nothing"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back