Is this hood worth more than core value?

Ignore the dirt as the car has been under a tree for years. It has dents in the front part of it so I got a better one from the junkyard. Is it worth more than the $10 core charge I paid? I've sold pretty mangled up doors for over $100 but not a hood. Fits 2006 to 2016 Impala.

IMG_20220928_134905219.jpg

It's worth more to somebody, but will that somebody run across it?

Ugh, I've held onto things like that for years and no one ever found them.

Ignore the dirt as the car has been under a tree for years. It has dents in the front part of it so I got a better one from the junkyard. Is it worth more than the $10 core charge I paid? I've sold pretty mangled up doors for over $100 but not a hood. Fits 2006 to 2016 Impala.

View attachment 118852
Those are good to pull behind a truck on a long rope on a snowy road.

Depending on the length of the return trip, it may not be worth the cost per mile to take it back to the junkyard.

But if you have to go back to that junk yard, just take it back. Your time is worth something and that's probably more than $10.

Other than that, just leave it for a junk man, scrapper to pick up and think he got a treasure.

This junkyard "core charge" thing has me confused-is somebody going to try to rebuild it? I'm looking for a set of decent junkyard alloys for a Corolla, which doesn't have alloys on it now-seems like an excuse to jack up the price to me!

They figure you don't have a core or won't bother to return one. Scrap steel is about 10 cents a pound and it weighs around 30 pounds so that $3 of scrap they are charging $10 for.

What is this junk man, scrapper you speak of that I should leave it for?
It's those guys you see driving around town in old beat up trucks, and the bed will be filled with junk and scrap metal. They drive around town picking up stuff people set out at the curb for the trash truck to pick up.

It's those guys you see driving around town in old beat up trucks, and the bed will be filled with junk and scrap metal. They drive around town picking up stuff people set out at the curb for the trash truck to pick up.
But then he'd be out the $10 (or potentially more) which is what I think this thread is all about.

No such guys in my neighborhood. There are junk removal services here, but you pay THEM a lot to remove your junk. https://www.1800gotjunk.com/us_en

No such guys in my neighborhood. There are junk removal services here, but you pay THEM a lot to remove your junk. https://www.1800gotjunk.com/us_en

Just leave it out front the night before trash day. Mark it scrap.
If there are scrappers who roam your streets, they will find it and take it.

That is, assuming that's the most economical choice to you.

There are folks who do this to make a buck or two. They don't advertise, they just roam areas around trash day looking for metal items.

Check out the Scrap and Pallet Man on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ScrapPalletMan

He's a hoot to watch, and should be family friendly.

And to those who suggested he would be out his $10, remember, time has value and the cost of driving back to the junk yard.
So unless he needed to return for other parts, etc, the most economical choice may be to just leave it for a scrapper.

Winter is coming.
Give it to a kid in need.
That hood would make a nice sled.

One of those sob's stole the ramps to my tow dolly in Canada when I left it overnight in an industrial area where I was picking up a car the next day. Not fun trying to unload the car without ramps.

Back