Is the HPL EC suitable in cold?

Considering getting some HPL EC and running in in the later 2k of the OCI in the truck.

See there’s SAE30 and SAE40. Is it a multi grade despite its labeling?

How’s this do in the cold? Presently winter with maybe 0F-35F temps. Running 5W-30 RGT right now.

Perhaps nothing to worry about? Or should
I plan this for spring/summer time?

Wanted to see if the EC can clean any of the varnish as indicated on this below pic. This is the 234k Suburban 5.3.

IMG_2599.jpeg

Maybe 0F-30F cold starts? I can’t see it getting that much colder in and near Buffalo but who knows.

This is my initial thought.
I ran it in two different vehicles on Long Island, one with 5W30 in the sump the other 5W40. No problems to report, the 5W40 vehicle has a 6 quart sump. It isn't going to change the viscosity or cold weather properties much. Having said that if I lived where it would frequently drop below say -10F I'd wait until the summer, but that's just me. If I were really concerned I'd ask David over at HPL.

Considering getting some HPL EC and running in in the later 2k of the OCI in the truck.

See there’s SAE30 and SAE40. Is it a multi grade despite its labeling?

How’s this do in the cold? Presently winter with maybe 0F-35F temps. Running 5W-30 RGT right now.

Perhaps nothing to worry about? Or should
I plan this for spring/summer time?

Wanted to see if the EC can clean any of the varnish as indicated on this below pic. This is the 234k Suburban 5.3.

View attachment 202476
You could just buy HPL PCMO 5w30 and keep in moving.

So maybe 1qt of HPL PCMO during the last 1-2k?

For the EC I meant I wanted to substitute one quart.

So maybe 1qt of HPL PCMO during the last 1-2k?

For the EC I meant I wanted to substitute one quart.

Just get 12 quarts of their Passenger Car motor oil and put on a new PCV. Also make sure your PCV lines are clear and the Valve Cover Baffles are clear.

I'm running SAE 40 EC right now in my Kia (6.89qt sump) and the rest filled with M1 5W-30 EP. Similar winter temps to what you mentioned.

I believe the EC is a monograde base grp III w/ a load of various esters.
So it's either a 30 or a 40, depending upon what you order.

As long as it's diluted with 4 or more quarts, the cold temps the OP asks about should be fine.

The best answer would come from HPL. Just a phone call or email away. I hear they are friendly and knowledgeable folks.
You could. However, everything else about the EC has been so thoroughly discussed by HPL in their stickies that if there was any concern it surely would have come up by now.

At the proper ratio, there’s no concern like dnewton3 referenced. Considering in the 70s (prior to such restrictive CAFE requirements today), nearly every engine used 10w40 or heavier year round, this is most likely much ado about nothing.

Reactions: 4WD
Suppose one could put it in 0W30 … I have it in 0W20 but it’s not seen below 14°F so far …

The actual viscosity of the EV is closer to a 15W30 but that’s a guess. It has no VII but the base stocks do well in cold.

Given that, and the dilution/mix with your regular oil, I wouldn’t sweat it at all in the cold.

If your oil was good enough for the cold before the EC, it will be just fine after.

Just get 12 quarts of their Passenger Car motor oil and put on a new PCV. Also make sure your PCV lines are clear and the Valve Cover Baffles are clear.
Not all of these have PCV valves, my 2004 Sierra w/ 5.3 does not. GM started using an orifice in the valve cover however they can clog up, some people drill holes to allow the oil to drain out but GM does have an updated valve cover which I believe is for the drivers side. I haven't experienced anything with mine due to oil consumption but it only has 120k miles. I've also read stories with the updated valve cover was hit or miss, meaning sometimes it helped but others it didn't seem to do anything to help with consumption.

IMO their EC works best from the beginning of the oil change so you can change out the filter quickly and go again, by doing it at the end of the change it's hard to say how much is already in there. Me personally I would wait until you change the oil and then use it but I certainly don't see any harm of doing it now but just be aware of possibly clogging the filter.

Back