Is Sustina still the lightest 0w20 on the market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently running Sustina 0w20 in my 2000 Honda Insight. From what I recall from about a year ago, or so, the three lightest 0w20 oils were (in order):

1. Sustina 0w20
2. Mazda with Moly 0w20
3. Toyota 0w20

Just curious, if Sustina 0w20 is still the lightest 0w20 on the market. Or has something supplanted it yet?

I think so, it has sub-40/8.0 correct? I thought Toyota was "medium-higher" end of the 0w20s at 100cSt.

Havoline (pre-ProDS formula) is/was... you can still find it as I see it in your sig.
Viscosity
cSt at 40°C - 41.0
cSt at 100°C - 8.0
VI:172

However this is the new range for the ProDs
Viscosity
cSt at 40°C - 45.7
cSt at 100°C - 8.5
VI: 168

I think the general Eneos was in 42/8.3/179 range so it might be a bit lighter now.

IIRC Idemitsu (Subaru Genuine 0w20) is pretty light for KV 40C, but Sustina is purportedly the ne plus ultra of resource conserving oils with a very, very, VERY high VI and an oxidation resistant sulfur free Zinc phosphate EP.
Note that virgin VI will not last through the OCI, also, the CCS sim rating will regress a classification margin overtime in service - rod bearings and piston skirts be danged! Succinctly, Oil performs worse as it ages.

I believe the Sustina 0w20 numbers are:

cSt at 40°C - 32.69
cSt at 100°C - 7.94
VI: 229

-Bryan

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
IIRC Idemitsu (Subaru Genuine 0w20) is pretty light for KV 40C, but Sustina is purportedly the ne plus ultra of resource conserving oils with a very, very, VERY high VI and an oxidation resistant sulfur free Zinc phosphate EP.
Note that virgin VI will not last through the OCI, also, the CCS sim rating will regress a classification margin overtime in service - rod bearings and piston skirts be danged! Succinctly, Oil performs worse as it ages.

Is there any way to calculate the rate of VI reduction over an OCI, or can one only pay for a VERY costly UOA to see just what it went down to at the end??

The higher the % of XHVI base stock the less VI regression over time. SO a REAL technical synthetic utilizing a relatively lower VM % should perform better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back