is it me or what some people (Terry) already know

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a die hard user of M1 and have been pretty biased about M1 for years. Off and on, some folks have kind of dogged M1 and I would shoot something back via reply's or just ignore them and think they are full of baloney. Well, one respected member here, Terry, kind of likened that there is a reason why M1 SS formula has such a high iron reading from UOA's. This idea had been tossed around before but most of us all viewed it as "one of those things" sort of like why is GC green? Because it IS!!!
I just had our 02 Accord V6 in for the dreaded 105K belt and stuff change out. Right after I changed the oil to my standard M1 SS 5W-30. We average about 100 miles a day. Engine seemed a little rough, but I thought that it was "breaking" in the new belt and "forgetta 'bout it." I recently did a OCI but switched to M1 EP 5W-30 formula and viola, engine smoothed out like hot butter. I know there may be some thickness variations of the two oils, but it wouldn't have made that big of a noticeable difference. My confidence in M1 SS is now shaken, at best and now I'm wondering if I've cut the longevity of this engine off by just a tad as iron was a little high when I had a few UOA's on it a couple of years ago. Hate to say it, but I now know what Terry was eluding to. He has dropped hints from time to time regarding what he thinks about certain oils, so I've been reading old post and trying to read between the lines. I hate to say it, but I'm actually starting to lean a little towards the Pennz. Platinum. Terry has said that he likes this stuff.
Anyway, some of ya'll have similar experiences going from SS to the EP stuff or even from the M1 directly to the PP stuff? Terry, I didn't mean to chop you off at the knees a few posts ago, I just had to experience what you've been saying all along. Don't hate
twak.gif
.....LOVE!!!!
cheers.gif

While I do think there is something going on with the new SM Mobil 1, I am not sure the iron is the issue. I have always had low iron with regular M1 10w-30 SL mobil 1. My UOA's where very good with this oil and I was happy until SM versions came on the scene. After one change on both cars with SM oils I have noticed a difference. I, like you have started using the M1 EP due to unimpressive UOA's with the regular M1 in 5w-30 and 10w-30. I am going to M1 0-40 in my Miata and M1 5w-30 EP in my Honda Accord. I will be comparing UOA's with regular M1 5w-30 vs M1 5w-30 EP on the accord. I am not ready to give up on M1 at this point anyway.

Thanks. I forgot all about that. Formula's did change from SL to SM. And then there were some Katrina related issues as well. Gesh, when did this stuff get so complicated. People at Walmart probably think I'm nuts sitting there reading the backs of all the oil bottles. But hey, beer was on sale at Walmart after I bought some at Sam's. They wouldn't honor the price match, so I returned the beer. I know, I know...I have issues. But I SAVED some money.

Complicated for sure...Sometimes I think We spend more time picking motor oil than our drinking water.

I will say that it's important to take the "Marketing" out of the issues and go by what the oil actually is doing. How it works for you. UOA's etc...

In my humble opinion... Mobil's marketing plan is messed up. Their oil selections are getting more complicated. Next thing you know there will be oil for "Japanese" cars vs. "German" cars vs. "extended-super extended plus" oils for those that only want to deal with it once a year...

Who knows what's next. Maybe we'll have an entire aisle delegated to Mobil at Sprawlmart.

Schmoe, I personally do not think you have cut the engine longevity at all. I still think M1 is an excellent oil and stand by the fact that UOA's are limited in showing wear. Redline shows higher wear, yet it's reputation is second to none. Mobil 1 keeps engines very clean, and meets the most specifications across the board.

The bottom line though (IMO), is that all oils show low wear. What we think is high, usually is well below normal or within normal ranges. Sure, some show exceptionally low wear, but what about viscosity, deposit control, sludge control etc.? Those are every bit as important and in fact, deposit/sludge control is more important. So don't sweat it.

quote:

Originally posted by JGmazda:
Next thing you know there will be oil for "Japanese" cars vs. "German" cars vs. "extended-super extended plus" oils for those that only want to deal with it once a year...

Who knows what's next. Maybe we'll have an entire aisle delegated to Mobil at Sprawlmart.

Well, once a year is kinda what the EP line is for...
grin.gif
tongue.gif

But you're right, I was just at the World today and there was more shelf space for all the M1 flavors (all 30 of them) than for the Mighty Pennzoil dino jugs...
dunno.gif

Sorry... Off topic

See what I'm saying??? It's nuts! Yes... I agree with you. Can you imagine a person only changing his oil once a year? Perhaps these are the types that just get in the car and turn the key. They never check the fluids of tire pressures either! Cars to them are just a step up from public transportation.

Then these very same people complain when their cars blow up or get stranded. What if you ran an airline like that!

I think we are all on here because we love cars! But man! Oil is still affordable enough to change it more than once a year! Are we really that frugal?

"Can you imagine a person only changing his oil once a year? Perhaps these are the types that just get in the car and turn the key. "

Those people are likely not using Mobil 1 EP.

JGmazda, I agree. Im picked on at home and work about checking and changing oil too early(even with EP senthetics like amsoil). I check my oil every time I buy gas and my tires once a week.

No problems running a full synthetic like Mobil 1 at 1 year intervals or 10,000 miles in a properly running engine. My wear numbers are extrememly low.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner,2.7 liter, 4 cylinder, Mobil1 5w30 ODO 29300
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner,3.0 liter,6 cylinder, Mobil1 5w40 tsuv ODO 106500
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

quote:

Originally posted by Auto-Union:
"Can you imagine a person only changing his oil once a year? Perhaps these are the types that just get in the car and turn the key. "

Those people are likely not using Mobil 1 EP.

You know, I know, and everyone else knows that the average Joe who is buying up jugs of M1 EP wouldn't run a 15k OCI if they were held at gunpoint. I'm amazed that people who are disappointed with the price/performance ratio of M1 simply buy a more expensive version from the same company as a solution. They are not the only company that makes motor oil ya know...

I'll say one thing, before coming here, I sure didn't care that much about oil. I'm sure being here helped me get over 200K on one of my cars.....my truck gets the once a year change with M1 because it really doesn't go anywhere except to Clarksville Tennessee about twice a year and to the lake and back. That's about 5K total miles, but one year is about at my psychological break point. I hadn't thought that I'd really changed the longevity power curve on the 02 Accord, but you just can't help to think about it and wonder. Where did all that iron come from? There's got to be something more to it. Was hoping Terry would chime in last night but he did'nt. He's probably reading all this and saying "nah-nanny boo-boo...told you so!!!"

quote:

Originally posted by johnsmith:
You know, I know, and everyone else knows that the average Joe who is buying up jugs of M1 EP wouldn't run a 15k OCI if they were held at gunpoint.

I'm probably a perfect example of who you're referring to. Before I discovered what a bunch of jerks the quickie oil-change places tend to be, I took my cars to Jiffy Lube and would lay out around $35 for an oil change. When I noticed what a lackluster job they do, I bought some ramps and now do it myself. Since I can easily afford $35 for this piece of maintenance, I buy a 5-quart jug of Mobil 1 EP 10W-30, ($27.xx at Wallyworld) and a Nissan oil filter ($6.xx) and stick with 3000 mile OCIs. I know, I know..a lot of you say that's wasting oil, so if anyone would like to come pick up my old oil and use it, you're welcome to it..otherwise it's hauled to Pep Boys for recycling. For me, this is money well spent on peace of mind that my truck is protected from the Texas heat, stop-and-go traffic, and my driving style. I'm spending the same money I was before, but the job is getting done right and the best products are being used.

Changed one word on edit.

[ May 17, 2006, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: Bio-T ]

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
I hadn't thought that I'd really changed the longevity power curve on the 02 Accord, but you just can't help to think about it and wonder. Where did all that iron come from? There's got to be something more to it.

How much iron are we talking? 12ppm? 40ppm? I've run M1 for 100k (190k total) miles in my car and recently switched to PP due to price after rebates. I have had a magnetic drain plug on for the last few OCIs and there is not a spec of ferrous debris caught on it. I haven't done a UOA with the M1 SS, only M1 SL and it was pretty flawless.

Your engine will still outlast your car, I believe. If no other deals come along in the meantime, I will switch back to M1 when my PenzPlat runs out.

I don't "pick" drinking water. My City delivers it to me at the tap -- regulated and tested.
Even then, You'd be surprized how often the "system" has allowed questionable water to your tap. Yes, we do have the best water systems in this country. However, some water treatment plants are so overtaxed and antiquated that they have unofficially allowed compromised water through to the public.

Why do you think water purification is such a huge business? My good friend is a geologist that studies water tables for companies that bottle water. It shocked me to learn that our water supply is becoming more polluted as we speak.

My point is... We should be giving more thought to those issues. At least on par with our Oil choices!
offtopic.gif

CBDFrontier06 -

I agree totally. Jiffy lube just plain sucks. I've had very few positive experiences there.

Here's a business Idea...? What about forming an Oil change facility with knowledgeable people and use the latest oils and tech. Allow BITOG people to spec whatever they want- from Mixing to "GC"... and do it right!

I think I'd even use a place like that.

My last visit to Jiffy Lube was the day they didn't tighten my oil filter enought and the seeping oil dropped directly on my exaust pipe...the car reeked, and every time I stopped at a light, the smoke billowed out from under the hood. No damage done other than the ugly stain on my exause pipe, but how embarassing to be in a smoking car. I crawled under and put on a new filter, topped off the oil and swore off Jiffy Lube forever. What was the point of paying them to do something that I ended up crawling under the car to fix? I trust myself far more than I trust them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back