Is higher weight oil in this heat a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the 5.4 loves 10W30 year round. I've owned several and not once did I have the phaser issues or other problems folks had but I didn't run the watered down 5W20 in any of them either...
smile.gif

My car idles a LOT. Take two kids to two different schools, sit in the drop off line idling for quite a long time. Pick them up, lots and lots more idle time. Like 3 hours of idle time every single day. Times five days a week. (Yeah police cars and taxi's idle a lot more, but THIS is my car that I maintain and care about)

I also read reports of stretched timing chains using 0W20 and slightly longer drain intervals.

I also understand CAFE is caused due to gov mandates. And that if the actual engine engineer was in charge of setting the oil recommendation, he is likely to recommend 5W30 or 0W40.

Now do I run the factory 0W20, or bump it up to 0W30/5W30? Idle time adds fuel dilution.

In the grand scheme of things, 0W20 is OK most of the time. But it also has less margin for error. If the engine overheats, you will be glad to have a 30 weight in it. If you are towing heavy loads, you will be happy to have a 30 weight in it.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Brigadier
Then why are the new Chevy trucks spec'd for 5W-30 instead of the previous 20W?

This makes me wonder if thicker oils are making a comeback. Have car companies figured out that thicker oils do in fact protect better? Someone here mentioned Shell Australia's lube match specs 5W40 for the Honda Accord,and it does,they recommend Shell Helix 5W40. All this keeps making me wonder if I should switch my Accord to 5W30. I found this old article that was interesting:
http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=3965

Not me. Most totally new models and even turbo's are being spec'd for 0W-20 and 5W-20. I'm sure they'd run fine for many thousands of miles on either.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
..Motul 8100 X-Cess 5W-40 if a full SAPS oil meeting A3/B4, LongLife-01, MB Sheet 229.5 and VW 502.00/505.00 in addition to Porsche A40. It has a HTHS of 3.7 cP and a flash point of 446 ºF with a NOACK is 9.9%.Viscosity at 100 ºC (212 ºF) is 14.2 cSt..

Thank you for your detailed reasoning. That's an excellent old school oil.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS

Given the temperatures my engines see, I would not want 5W-20 (even as a full synthetic) in my sump. YMMV.

Me either, even with a cooling system in perfect operating condition, like I'm certain yours is.

That is why I bought 4 pails of 15W40 today. See Walmart clearance thread.

Thin oils are for Liberals (Democrats), thick oils, "old stock Canadians" (Conservatives) and Republicans.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly

Thin oils are for Liberals (Democrats), thick oils, "old stock Canadians" (Conservatives) and Republicans.

Hogwash.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

Hogwash.

I prefer balderdash

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Originally Posted By: PimTac

Hogwash.

I prefer balderdash

Another good word.

Thanks for clearing that up for us. I believe I've seen the light now.
Trolling.gif

I prefer balderpinch. If that won't work, then balderbite.
laugh.gif

Keep your vehicle from being fed too heavily. Then it might become sluggish and stuff pours out the exit pipe.
lol.gif

Bovine scatology...

I run 10w-30 in a truck that is spec'ed for 5w-30 and have no problems

I also run 10w-30 in a Toyota Venza 2.7 that calls for 5w-20 and it does just fine.

Texas heat is brutal.

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
Then why are the new Chevy trucks spec'd for 5W-30 instead of the previous 20W?

This makes me wonder if thicker oils are making a comeback. Have car companies figured out that thicker oils do in fact protect better? Someone here mentioned Shell Australia's lube match specs 5W40 for the Honda Accord,and it does,they recommend Shell Helix 5W40. All this keeps making me wonder if I should switch my Accord to 5W30. I found this old article that was interesting:

Maybe they were doing the 5w20 thing for economy and realize sticking to a 30 weight would play it safe especially for people that use a truck for truck purposes and actually tow and haul with it.

Not a fishing rod Wemay, a glue trap for all the Xw20 lefties coming out of the woodwork.

I consider myself neither Liberal or Conservative, strictly Thin or Thick. I refuse to be pigeon-holed. Each side has some good points but some silly extremists as well.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: edhackett
I found this old article that was interesting:

I see that article was written by a know nothing know it all, perpetuating myths while claiming to dispel them.

Ed

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back