Is Discount Tire certificate worth it for my situation?

Pew

Hello folks,

It's time to start shopping for new tires for the CX5 (AWD). DT has the certificates that will cover irreparable damage but for a set of $220x4 tires, the certs will cost around $175. I drive ~30k miles a year so if I get a nail in the sidewall of one tire at 9/32, I will have to buy an entire new set of tires - essentially wasting the certificates on the other 3 tires within months. The savings end up ~$60 for a service I may never use. Is my thinking proper, when considering the value of DT's tire certificate?

You have to think, how many times have I had a unrepairable flat tire. If your answer is anything like mine, 2 in over 50 years, I'd pass on the certificate. Let me know what you get, I'll be looking soon for my CX-5.

You have to think, how many times have I had a unrepairable flat tire. If your answer is anything like mine, 2 in over 50 years, I'd pass on the certificate. Let me know what you get, I'll be looking soon for my CX-5.

2 so far in my driving history of ~15 years. One was on a focus, covered by Tire Rack. The second one is the reason I have to buy a new set now :(.

Check Costco. Warranty is included. Good luck.

I thought about that, do I need a Costco membership for their auto center?

I was recently offered a tire warranty on a new set of Pirellis for my Mercedes. $49.95 per tire! Now. granted, the tires cost $332.88 each (run flat/ MOE Extended) but guess what. Like others have said, my last tire puncture was about 40 years ago!
I turned that offer down.

How are the roads that you drive on? The last few times I went through the TX - LA border, I-10 on the TX side was absolutely awful with cracks, misaligned expansion joints, heaved sections, you name it.

I still pretty much only do business at Discount Tire because of their excellent customer service, but skip the certs. Most of my issues have been nails or punctures that were within their free repair criteria.

When it's all said and done the certificates are nothing more than insurance. I normally don't like insurance but I always get the Discount Tire certificates. I've used one and it saved me alot of dollars. Thank you. Irishman

2 so far in my driving history of ~15 years. One was on a focus, covered by Tire Rack. The second one is the reason I have to buy a new set now :(.

Yes, but at $60., it is substantially cheaper than the $175. Dover from DT.
Plus, you can get additional benefit for it for 364 other days.

I'm sure you do. Get one, or perhaps have a friend with a membership buy you a gift card and reimburse him. I just put a set of Michelin Sport AS tires on our TSX; couldn't be happier.

I'm sure you do. Get one, or perhaps have a friend with a membership buy you a gift card and reimburse him. I just put a set of Michelin Sport AS tires on our TSX; couldn't be happier.

The only problem with the GC approach is that he would be unable to access the road hazard warranty because he does not have a membership card. To make this work, everything would have to go through the friend with the membership, including any claims or even the free rotation.

Reactions: Pew
say no they will offer it for 10$ a tire if you say no enough.

or no it costs too much.
I don't think so anymore. They did that to me a few years back, and I folded like a cheap suit and bought them - complete waste. Last time I just said no once - no deal offered.

The only downside with Costco is trying to get an appointment the same week you have a tire issue. You will be rolling around with your space saver or like most cars these days stuck on the side of the road because you only have a inflator kit.

I don't think so anymore. They did that to me a few years back, and I folded like a cheap suit and bought them - complete waste. Last time I just said no once - no deal offered.
around here if you ask a little wishy washy " uh thats kinda high.. no thanks maybe next time.."

but maybe not since tirerack bought them.. no problem. It helped me out 1time.
saved $200 on tire replacement.
but I had to buy the replacement cert for the new tire at full price so it was about 55$ all in. on that one tire.
or 85$ for the 4 certs and replacement. The other 10 sets I would never have used it.

You can go to any Discount Tire (lots around) anytime for free flat repair. Not so with Costco and the don't have as many locations. At least in Fl.

Back