Is BITOG an endangered species?

Let me say up front, I know very, very little about Electric Vehicles (EV) from a mechanical standpoint.

Does a Tesla need any type of lubrication? Maybe some 90wt in a differential.... possibly?

I have read no less than 4 articles in financial periodicals, predicting $200 a barrel oil, which will lead to $8-$10 a gallon Regular Gas.

Most of us have seen the EV line-ups of new vehicles to be released in the next 2-5 years from Ford, Chevy, Dodge, VW, Mercedes, BMW, etc.... If you look closely at advertising line-ups, they aren't even touting a single combustion engine vehicle.

What are your predictions and thoughts regarding your personal vehicle situation in the coming years? I know there is a contingent here that takes the stance they will die in there gas guzzling combustion engine rig..... But will you be able to afford $10 a gallon gas, even if you stick to your guns?

What you think....???? Is BITOG quickly on its way to being a dead forum, because everyone will be in an EV in 5 years?

Oh... and don't forget, you will probably be 'influenced' into an electric lawn mower, electric trimmer, electric chain saw, electric motorcycle, etc.....

Personally, I think it is an intentional strategy to force everyone into EV's, but let's be careful here and stay away from ..... ie. totally avoid a political debate.

No. Even when/if EV's are a majority I think boards like this will be popular because the people that frequent them seem to be enthusiasts and/or frugal. I see both of those types as having raggedy old gas engines for a long time. 😁

If I find the right car at a price that I can afford, I'll take an EV car at easily. I driven the a Golf electric car and it was fun so making the switch for me would be easy plus a few benefits charge at home.

It will be at least 20 years if not more, if not ever during our lifetimes that the current form of EVs replace gasoline.
There will always be lubrication oils, though I feel, as much as I like this forum, that the motor oil discussion for standard gas vehicles is almost silly. This isnt the 1960s, 70's, 80s or even the 90s anymore. All motor oils recommended in the new car owners manual are fine, no matter what brand, no brand is better than the other.

WIth that said this is still forum about all things mechanical (including lubrication) and always be a need for it. At least during our lifetime, but motor oil is no longer a critical component, all API oils are the same, no matter the brand, no matter who says what.

The day will come, again, not during our lifetime, though we may see a switch away from gasoline during the time, that cars will be like TVs, once done throw it away, or simply lift out the electric motor and put a new one in. Keep in mind an electric car is the same as a remote controlled electric car, nothing really earth shattering here.
Im not sold that batteries are the future, though they maybe, certainly not in its primitive current form. Hydrogen I think makes more sense. Current form of batteries are immensely inconvenient at best and can only fill a role of local driving and commuting at a CRAZY expensive cost.
We will see.

Last edited:
I think EV will capture a share of the market, but those who cannot wait and are always going will remain ICE.

I bought a 60v cordless weed-wacker DeWalt that takes my existing attachments, but would never give up my Stihl, 316 or 1025R.

I just don't see people willingly buying a 50, 60, 70, 80k EV with the pre-concieved notion that there may be a big battery replacement cost down the line.

Then again, I expect that price point vehicle in ICE to easily go 200-250k with only maintenance and minor repairs. Maybe others are OK with 50-80k vehicles knowing they ditch them around 150k?

I really like my junk, the 300k Tahoe is excellent.

Business teaches us that every product has a lifecycle. I don't know the exact number, but EVs share of the new car market is less than 5%.
There is room for multiple driveline types. More importantly, there are many use cases and no one car fits all.
BITOG ain't going nowhere for a loooong time. Will it morph and evolve? Of course.

What I do expect is more technology into cars, beyond a different drivetrain. Software is the road to tech. Programmers will win.

Bob needs a career change to bob is the electrician.
Yes, we will be discussing what is a better electric motor. Samsung? LG? Whirlpool? and a dozen other brands, all will be claiming the one they like is best. People will be taking out old ones and putting in new ones. *LOL*

• Haha
Reactions: Pew
BITOG already is an endangered species.

What percentage of the car owning population take their consideration of engine oil to the point where they visit a forum, let alone engage with the forum for thousands of posts over many years?

It is likely a fraction of a percent.

We'll all still find something on an EV to take it's place. We'll be talking about the latest charging standard, where it's better to charge often or discharge the battery more before charging, and if the latest range extending snake oil actually works.

BTW = Here is an excellent presentation of EVs powered by Hydrogen vs batteries by BMW
I think this is the future, hydrogen EVs not battery EVs. In twenty years or less, remember alarm guy said it in BITOG... hopefully I am still alive... but, not too sure.
There is a HUGE oil industry out there with more money than the rest of the world, they arent just going to lay down and go out of business, this is the PERFECT solution for them and the perfect solution for the public.

Bob needs a career change to bob is the electrician.

Very sharp and witty!

Yeah, I also agree that this is a very healthy and robust forum and I think it will morph over time, incorporating sub-forums that focus on EV's.

I have my 99 club car 48v, thats as close as I get to an EV. If I am careful the Internal combustion vehicles I have will outlive me.

The push to electric is hitting hard. Just walk into any Home Depot or Lows and electric trimmers and mowers are literally tossed in your cart! The range and tech has to get better before I swap in the automotive dept, and I’m still a bit old school on trimmers and mowers. I do love my battery operated screwdriver and impact wrenches though!

We added the EV sub forum. BITOG spans a range far beyond automotive engines - lubrication for airplanes, boats, OPE, and yeah, firearms, are also topics. Those aren’t changing anytime soon.

But to say that the internal combustion engine is going away is not the same as saying discussion on the ICE will go away.

If the last ICE was built tomorrow- enthusiasts, the frugal, and others will still be talking about taking care of them for a long time.

And this will still be the best forum for those discussions.

Last edited:
BTW, exactly what oil does the Tesla gear reduction take? Has anyone changed theirs yet? I've heard that some of the filters they use can cause restrictions in the cooling circuit, anyone experience that yet?

Short answer, No. :)

No doubt EV's are the future, but until then there's some issues.

1) America's electrical grid needs to be updated/more efficient to handle them. There's currently 15,000,000 cars (roughly) registered in California with only a very small portion being EV's. If CA does get to their goal of 50% EV's in the next 10 years the current power grid simply cannot handle it.
2) Technology needs to advance to the point of super fast charging with range comparable to gas vehicles
3) More charging stations.

regarding fluids...there will aways be a need for lubrication.

It will be at least 20 years if not more, if not ever during our lifetimes that the current form of EVs replace gasoline.
There will always be lubrication oils, though I feel, as much as I like this forum, that the motor oil discussion for standard gas vehicles is almost silly. This isnt the 1960s, 70's, 80s or even the 90s anymore. All motor oils recommended in the new car owners manual are fine, no matter what brand, no brand is better than the other.

WIth that said this is still forum about all things mechanical (including lubrication) and always be a need for it. At least during our lifetime, but motor oil is no longer a critical component, all API oils are the same, no matter the brand, no matter who says what.

The day will come, again, not during our lifetime, though we may see a switch away from gasoline during the time, that cars will be like TVs, once done throw it away, or simply lift out the electric motor and put a new one in. Keep in mind an electric car is the same as a remote controlled electric car, nothing really earth shattering here.
Im not sold that batteries are the future, though they maybe, certainly not in its primitive current form. Hydrogen I think makes more sense. Current form of batteries are immensely inconvenient at best and can only fill a role of local driving and commuting at a CRAZY expensive cost.
We will see.
Yes...thank you!

Business teaches us that every product has a lifecycle. I don't know the exact number, but EVs share of the new car market is less than 5%.
There is room for multiple driveline types. More importantly, there are many use cases and no one car fits all.
BITOG ain't going nowhere for a loooong time. Will it morph and evolve? Of course.

What I do expect is more technology into cars, beyond a different drivetrain. Software is the road to tech. Programmers will win.
Growing all the time-

Back