True "all-in" EV costs equivalent to $17+/gal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm saving money with my Prius Prime, though I currently just fuel it with gas because it's cheaper per mile than electricity in my situation.

But I'll probably spend that money on something like a vacation, putting the planet back to square one.
My way of thinking, too.

The figures don’t make sense in this. Are we trying to say the subsidies are so much that it costs more per mile to drive then it did to buy the car in the first place? This is a post I made on the VW forum on this exact story with initial cost and cost per mile and what made my decision to purchase.
Your external quote almost exactly described my situation. My BMW was 20 years old and I needed a new car. BMW no longer makes cars that I'd care to own so I was looking at 2 different new and a slightly used Lexus. The downside was that they were expensive to buy, used a lot of fuel and required premium fuel at that. Then I test drove a Tesla. Not only could I get a new car with more Zoom, I paid much less than I would have for any of the Lexus I had been considering.

My Tesla runs cheaper and the maintenance (zero so far) costs far less. It doesn't have the range of a Lexus, the interior isn't quite as nice, and the ride isn't as good. But it beats it in ways that matter to me.

We also have a 2007 Honda Accord EX-L in excellent condition that we hardly drive any more. Why? Because the Tesla is so convenient, it's easier to drive, it runs at lower cost and has a "full tank" every morning at low cost and with minimal effort.

I have had my leaf since 2018 and all I have done put tires on, change headlights, change brake fluid and change transmission oil.
I guess if you were going to keep the car for 30 years and pay the dealer to put 2 brand new batteries, put the 2nd battery in at year 29 and crash the car the cost might be as much as a gasoline car.
Eventually I might put in a newer junkyard battery, my self, with a little jailbreak help.

The figures don’t make sense in this. Are we trying to say the subsidies are so much that it costs more per mile to drive then it did to buy the car in the first place? This is a post I made on the VW forum on this exact story with initial cost and cost per mile and what made my decision to purchase.
I’m in a similar boat electricity-cost wise and possibly the first person to go from a Raptor to a Tesla. I loved the Raptor but also love the Tesla. Super cheap to charge at home and pretty fun to drive. I’m at $0.04/mile of electric cost according to the Tesla App. My truck was about $0.27/mi for gas. I don’t even really care about the cost but do enjoy how cheap it is to drive the Tesla. I’m sure the Tesla has depreciated more than my Raptors but I went into it expecting that.

Long way of saying I don’t buy the article at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back