True "all-in" EV costs equivalent to $17+/gal

Status
Not open for further replies.
New study from Texas, that accounts for ALL costs in operating EVs, including "the real costs born by taxpayers for subsidies, utility ratepayers for energy investments, and non-electric vehicle owners for mandate-and-environmental-credit-driven higher vehicle costs." In other words, all the extra costs your neighbors are expected to pick up so that you can drive an EV. This waterfall chart should be familiar to some that IIRC @OVERKILL has posted.

Texas Public Policy Foundation said:
With Ford losing an estimated $70,000 per EV and subsidies reaching $50,000 per EV, Isaac says the real cost of a vehicle such as a Ford Lightning is over $150,000, and those costs are carried by everyone, including non-EV owners and even Americans without cars.
🤯 🤯 🤯

1698701486096.jpg

Another gem of great importance:

"The average fuel economy of an average EV with a 300 mile range in 2021 was estimated to be 113 miles per gallon equivalent, making automakers strongly incentivized to build these often money-losing cars to meet CAFE goals. To increase the adoption of cars that don’t use diesel or gasoline, the federal government created a 667% multiplier in MPGe for vehicles that use alternative power. With a fleetwide CAFE standard of 37 MPG for 2021 and a 2021 EV rated at 113 MPGE, an EV is worth 507 MPG worth of credits, or more than what Ford loses directly on its EVs."

I would like to read a similar study but from independent source or a University article vs something paid for by special interests (ie. Exxon, Chevron et. al) and tied to Senator Ted Cruz. If you find an article like that please share.

I would like to read a similar study but from independent source or a University article vs something paid for by special interests (ie. Exxon, Chevron et. al) and tied to Senator Ted Cruz. If you find an article like that please share.
Feel free to post it, if you can find it by someone not paid for by DOE or other government (our) funds.

"Funded by thousands of individuals, foundations, and corporations, the Foundation does not accept government funds or contributions to influence the outcomes of its research."

That's a lot to unpack. Call me crazy, but it reads as though they denounce government influence via funding while accidentally forgetting to mention the effect of the funds they accept from other sources.

Would it be skeptical of me to suggest some of these corporate donors might have a vested interest in the oil and gas industry? The research foundation is based in Texas, so nahhh... probably far fetched.

Studies commissioned by lobbyist groups that are majority funded by corporations (oil/gas/fossil fuel interests in the case of the Texas Public Policy Foundation) to influence public policy are classified in the "Science and Technology" section of the forum?

Mods, please move to the "Humor" section. Seems this one got misplaced.

This study would be more meaningful if it used similar data and calculations to do a side by side comparison of gas cars to the EV cars.

And to also report the cost in $/miles driven, which is a much more useful metric. The data quoted by @SubieRubyRoo says that an EV MPG equivalent is 113 mpg. Using the $17.33/gal. fuel cost, this figures to $0.153/mile. Just figuring gas alone, and using current gas prices, my E350 costs $0.167/mile.

But I suspect a lot of this data is lopsided against the EV. I will say, I think it is time for all the tax credits/incentives to come to an end. Let the EV stand on their own, without subsidy. Will they float? Or will they sink? Let's find out.

The figures don’t make sense in this. Are we trying to say the subsidies are so much that it costs more per mile to drive then it did to buy the car in the first place? This is a post I made on the VW forum on this exact story with initial cost and cost per mile and what made my decision to purchase.

You can't tell me the person that bought a $48k EV wasn't going to buy a $48k vehicle anyway. It's astronomically cheaper to operate.

My Tesla has done 6,000 miles. The range is rated at 272. Lets get realistic and say I'd likely get closer to 220 miles out of that. I pay $0.13 per kW. The battery is 60 kWh. That's $8 from dead. Lets add in some losses and taxes ignoring that I'm not completely draining and charging the car every time. At $10 per charge getting 220 miles per that charge my cost to go 6,000 miles is $273.

My GTI does 35 MPG pretty regularly. I do run premium which of course is a higher cost. I just paid $4.29 a gallon when I filled up today. To go 6,000 miles and assuming I'm maintaining 35 MPG I'll pay $736. None of this assumes the scheduled maintenance of either car which is astronomically more expensive on the GTI.

The GTI Autobahn new is more than the base Tesla that I own. They're similar sized cars with similar performance numbers. The tech is even close. I would say the interior is a bit nicer on the GTI, but that's personal preference. This story has an axe to grind.

You’re quoting these guys as the basis for your assessment?

And you don’t see the intrinsically political precepts in their mission statement?

But i'm yet to meet someone who owns an EV that thinks like this. Granted, i only know five such owners. I'll keep looking.
I'm saving money with my Prius Prime, though I currently just fuel it with gas because it's cheaper per mile than electricity in my situation.

But I'll probably spend that money on something like a vacation, putting the planet back to square one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back