Interesting conversation at O’Reilly

X2. Most of the people working in the parts houses, and the service writers at the stealerships, know absolutely zero about autos, auto parts, etc and have to rely entirely on their computers to look up even the most common parts. I am amazed that any legitimate business woud hire most of of these people. They must lose a lot of business because of them. We just dealt with a complete moron service writer at the local Hyundai dealer and we won't be going back there for anything despite the fact that we've bought three cars there. (FWIW We did complain the Service Manager, the head of the sales department and others but I don't think anyone gave a S##T and nothing was done about the situation so we definitely will never go there again.)
Of late, those working with absolutely no product knowledge or experience are all that’s available that will work…

I had a gift card to burn up and some used oil to take in yesterday so I went to Oreilly.

The young man working the counter asked what the oil was for just to strike conversation, I told him. He then went onto say that if it was for a Chevy 5.3, he’d recommend Castrol as opposed to my Mobil 1 because of what it did to his truck, which he was likely the 4th or 5th owner of. He also expressed his feeling towards foreign brands even while suggesting a foreign branded oil, Castrol. He and his co worker got to talking and then said M1 had no detergent in it and that it’ll destroy my engine.

Basically calling me stupid without calling me stupid IMO. I still kept my mouth shut. Told him to have a nice day and left. Where do they find these people?
As a sign in our shop says: "Hire a teenager now while they still know everything". Pretty much sums it up.

Guy at O’Reilly wouldn’t let me dump transmission fluid in the oil recycling container once. I tried to explain to him why it was ok but he wasn’t having it. I even pointed out the sign out front that said they take both used oil and trans fluids. He couldn’t explain how that was possible with only one oily waste tank, but held his ground nonetheless. He thought he was doing that right thing, so I didn’t make a big stink about it. I just ended up coming back another time to do it.

Around here AAP has the best system for ordering online and picking up in store.
I place my order using their app.
Wait for email telling me it's ready.
Drive there, grab my stuff, and leave without talking to anybody.

This thread perfectly sums up why I only use RockAuto unless it's an emergency.
Your Rockauto must be a different chain than the ones that we have around here. I've been in RA many times but always ended up walking out without buying anything. I actually went to Advanced Auto a few days ago and found an intelligent worker so I'll be using them; until he quits or they send him to a different store.

Your Rockauto must be a different chain than the ones that we have around here. I've been in RA many times but always ended up walking out without buying anything. I actually went to Advanced Auto a few days ago and found an intelligent worker so I'll be using them; until he quits or they send him to a different store.
I actually didn't even know that RA had physical stores. I order everything from them online and have it shipped.

Around here AAP has the best system for ordering online and picking up in store.
I place my order using their app.
Wait for email telling me it's ready.
Drive there, grab my stuff, and leave without talking to anybody.
I tried that about 5 years ago. Ordered online and went to the store a couple hours later to pick up my stuff. No stuff for me. They sold it to someone else. I complained. The worker rudely replies to me, well, what do you expect us to do, pull your stuff off the floor and keep it in the back until you show up?? Yes, since I paid for it, that's exactly what I expect you to do. He scoffed at my suggestion. I got my refund and left.

I tried that about 5 years ago. Ordered online and went to the store a couple hours later to pick up my stuff. No stuff for me. They sold it to someone else. I complained. The worker rudely replies to me, well, what do you expect us to do, pull your stuff off the floor and keep it in the back until you show up?? Yes, since I paid for it, that's exactly what I expect you to do. He scoffed at my suggestion. I got my refund and left.
That's insane.

Geesh....what a flake.

My father lost an engine back in the 70's using Quaker State. I was a little kid then but I remember there was a big "recall or lawsuit" because something happened in the manufacture of the oil and a lot of people lost engines. I think it was around the same time the Firestone 500 was a "suicide" tire and had to be recalled.
My Dad was so cheap he used a set of those 500's that we found dumped (brand new, still had stickers on them) and took them home. My poor mother was a nervous wreck driving on those. He also made a Pontiac dealer take the power steering off a new 1971 Lemans he purchased, just to save 60 dollars. My mother had forearms the size of a giant after parallel parking that car for years. :LOL:
God bless my parents souls, they sacrificed everything to put food on the table and clothes on our backs.
My father ordered a 1972 F150 (don't think it was called an F150 at the time). Three on the tree, NO power steering. Both him and my Mom drove it.

Some clueless kids ?? That's NOTHING compared to the IGNORANT O'Reilly's manager who threw me out of his store trying to price match with AutoZone !! Boy did I leave some "Special" reviews for him on google/social media :)

This thread perfectly sums up why I only use RockAuto unless it's an emergency.
Sadly, I’ve had several instances over the last few years of them sending the wrong parts or used parts. I’ve reluctantly gone back to buying local a bit more. I’d prefer to do it all the time but am not willing to pay the huge markups.

Back