Guy goes a million miles on group lll synthetics doing 15,000 mile intervals.

But I thought engines running x20 were only designed for a 150k mile lifespan. But I thought x20 was no good for the heat. But I thought it was only for CAFE and detrimental to the customer. But I thought x20 hasn’t been around long enough to know.

But what I’m definitely sure of is it it WAS running x30 it would have made it to 3 million miles
Totally false narrative. No one says these things. Straw man induced statement, like claiming people say "20 wt. will make you car blow up".

Never happens.

If you read the actual post, he says the car burns a quart every 4-5k miles. That means in a 15,000 mile interval, he’s replacing 3-4 qts of oil, a significant portion of the total change amount of 4.6 qt.

That’s not a true 15,000 mile interval. That really works out closer to a sub-10,000 interval. With good synthetic oil and lots of highway driving to achieve his 120k mi/yr and there’s really no surprises here.

Also, looking at the thread more closely, it looks like the engine really bit the dust about 80k shy of 1 million miles. Loss of compression in cyl 1.

This is still an impressive achievement, but anyone thinking this is evidence that you can take any synthetic oil in any engine to extremely high miles on 15k intervals is sorely mistaken.

Back