Installing new water heater

My new hybrid water heater should be delivered in a few days. It will go in the garage. While I would like to put a pan under it before I install it, I have not figured out how to lift a 300 lb unit and put in a pan. Trying to slide it on would flatten it.

Next question is the flex lines to connect the unit to the supply lines, can I reuse them? Can I connect two to together. They are a non tapered thread.

They weigh 300lb without water in them?
Man that thing is going to be fun to move when it's full of water when it dies in 10 years and the water won't drain out of it.

They weigh 300lb without water in them?
Man that thing is going to be fun to move when it's full of water when it dies in 10 years and the water won't drain out of it.
I will use my MityVac through the threaded opening for the T&P valve.

80 gal x 8 lb/gallon is 640 lb. + 300 lb. So roughly 1000 lb filled.

I have an 80 gal hybrid that I installed myself. To get the drain pan under, I tilted the heater, slid the plastic pan under, then tilted it the other way and "walked" it on fully. Took 2 minutes, pan is fine.
I had a plastic pan under the water heater at my last house, and it had a pipe leading to a drain. It was in a closet on the second floor. The house was 15 years old when the water heater let go. Seems that years of heat from the gas burner had baked the plastic so it was extra crispy, and the weight had cracked it in several places, so the pan was completely useless and the water leaked through the ceiling into the downstairs bathroom.

On the plus side, the puddle of water on the floor of the downstairs bathroom floor clued me in pretty quickly that there was something wrong before the ceiling was destroyed.

I used an aluminum pan instead when I replaced the water heater.

tip them 20bucks to unbox it and set it in the pan?
I had same problem my 50gal is about 200lb.
I gave it the hercules bearhug up onto 2 layers of concrete pavers so the wiring would reach.. pan would have been impossible without another guy(team) lifting and maybe someone to throw the pan under.

There are square pans with detachable fronts, but be sitting down when you check out the cost.

1711585471996.jpeg

There are square pans with detachable fronts, but be sitting down when you check out the cost.

View attachment 210688
Well the hybrid heater is about $3K. So $80 for a pan is not that bad.

tip them 20bucks to unbox it and set it in the pan?
I had same problem my 50gal is about 200lb.
I gave it the hercules bearhug up onto 2 layers of concrete pavers so the wiring would reach.. pan would have been impossible without another guy(team) lifting and maybe someone to throw the pan under.
The current 50 gal propane is working. I will need to get it delivered, get everything ready and rip out the old and push in the new.

Plan B.
Throw water heater installation party. invite strong guys? Have beer and Grill food?

Had the same problem installing a 50 gal electric in a raised alcove in daughter's garage. Got the heater there up 2x4 ramps, tipped the heater and put a piece of 2x4 under an edge then tipped back and put the pan in place, put another piece of 2x4 in the pan and tipped onto it, maneuvered heater around to center up then tipped and pulled out 2x4. It was easier that it sounds but it didn't weigh 300 lbs.

It will go in the garage
why put in pan? Do you plan to install a drain to daylight? If not, there is no point to put a pan
how to lift a 300 lb unit and put in a pan
put pan on ground, get 3 small cinder blocks (which are higher than the rim of the pan)........"walk" heater to the first block in the pan......"teeter totter" the tank until resting on the other two. Doing this will actually increase the water holding capacity of the pan
can I reuse them
, no, get new ones
Can I connect two to together
yes, 3\4 brass or stainless nipples will act as a coupling. I do recommend using a grease on these connectors where the rubber gasket meets the threaded but.

I've seen it recommended by many to get rid of the stock drain valve if it is a small low flow plastic thing and get a good brass quick open ball valve for better flow. Also, to drain older ones get a y splitter with two valves and put an air connection on one outlet. Turn off power/gas and use the hot water up (take a shower etc.) Hook up a garden hose to the other. Use your air compressor (low pressure of course) to break up the crud in the tank (open a hot faucet to relieve the pressure), close the air valve and drain to the garden hose. Best to remove faucet strainers for a day or two after doing this.

Someone sells this thing that you hook your drill up to that slings a piece of wire or something up inside to break up the crud. Now that-I don't recommend!
One time I removed the burned out electric element and used a dowel and my water pik thru the opening to bust the crud up. The 60' well we had at the time filled the tank up in 2 years!

Go to a plumbing supply house and get a plastic pan that will not crack. They sell pliable ones that you can't break no matter what you do with the water heater.

Back