Clogged condensation drain on hybrid water heater.

Our Richmond (Rheem) wh’s condensation drain keeps alarming out and I am at a lose. Been every other week or so. The line itself isn’t plugged at all. It’s collecting inside the unit and hitting the sensor. The unit has been installed since August 2022 and it started clogging late last year/ early 2024.

I removed the male 3/4” connector for inspection and it does seem to be part of the issue. You can see water trickling out with the connector removed. The unit was not running at this time.

Any ideas on a thinner walled connector or something else worth trying? *Pardon my bass pajama pants. 🤡
IMG_8814.jpeg
IMG_8815.jpeg
IMG_8816.jpeg

Checking the condensation/drain hose on my furnace is part of my yearly PM.
I know this is your water heater, but same principal.

► Check your 'owner's manual' to see if installer did his job correctly and anything the homeowner should do.
► Is there a place for the water to drain to ?

My furnace has a condensate trap inside the furnace.
If it gets plugged-up, that would shut things down.
Other than that, water runs downhill.

Maybe call the Installer back and have him look at it ?
At NO charge to you.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Here are a few things to consider and check in regards to the water sensor problem:

- Is the water sensor height adjustable? I would expect the sensor contacts to be positioned above the midpoint of the drain line orifice so that the port would have to be significantly clogged to result in an alarm.

- Are there any airflow restrictions/negative pressure that could be backdrafting water droplets upwards into the sensor due to a clogged filter? Condensate drain lines on gas furnaces are required to have a P-trap for this express purpose.

- Consider installing a copper 3/4" NPT condensate drain fitting and drain line. The copper fitting's threaded section pipe wall might be a hair thinner than the PVC fitting.

- Is the water heater sitting level or tilted so the condensation doesn't back up?

You might also install a trap on the line going down, I remember having some issues with mine since it was going into my A/C condensate line and a buddy who is a master plumber told me to install the trap, I've had zero issues since.

I should also add the line is just draining into a bucket at the moment. T on the top. 3’ or so of pipe running down to the bucket. Crude and simple. Been too lazy to run a line to the floor drain.

Needs drained every other day in the summer. Weekly in the winter. I’m down there daily to feed the cat so running a line hasn’t been a huge priority.

Back