Installing Brake Pads

Every autozone/Advanced auto/Oreilly pad I have had to. Never with any other pad.

I've had this happen multiple times and it's not a rust problem. I'm guessing it's because when the brake pad manufacturer designs the pads, they don't account for the thickness of the paint when they dimension the ears. That extra bit of thickness is enough for the ears to not fit in the caliper.

get caliper outa da way.
Put on rotor then brackets, put in inner pad, then outer, drop caliper on.
So no, I dont (my meat'n tates is breaks'n exhausts)
AND
yes, once in a great while the metal backing the actual brake material is adhered to is a lill
off shape. Never a problem as I hit it w/the same die grinder on the tool cart I clean up the areas I snap in the lill "squeal clips" into, the pads sit in. One in 50? 30? 70? Tryin to remember, one early this wk, is it one vehicle make? My bet? the cheep stuff at the bottom of a house brand cost list (any vehicle). I usually shoot for mid level or above but customers bring in stuff or ask for the cheep stuff & I comply. All ways get the best ur able.

Factory oem pads always fit. If they don't its caused by rust jacking in the caliper channels where the pads ride. That the area that needs attention.

Paco

I’m surprised at the number of people here saying they file the ears down. Often I struggle to get them in but you just have to keep trying and eventually they go in. Usually I have to kind of angle them in at first then they go right in and I just push them the right way.

Yes I agree that you can almost always get pads in without grinding the ears when they are very snug, but I do not think you should be. They are fine when new, but in a year or year and a half the calipers rust some more, pads get tighter and bind a bit, and you end up replacing rotors and pads all over again. If you just grind them first time so they move nicely those same pads and rotors will likely be fine four years from now and it doesn't take that long to do. Would be nice if they just fit right out of the box, but I just do not see it often. Wish I did and I do use what I think most would consider very good aftermarket pads

Back