GM brake pads with shims

Normal. Go ahead and run them. I usually put a little brake grease on both side of them. I am not sure it is necessary. My last two brake jobs had the shims attached. (Malibu and Lacrosse) The one you listed looks like the clip on type. I could get either kind for both of my last brake jobs.

Shims is kind of a stupid term because you aren't shimming anything. It's just the little bracket that the pad ears sit inside. You'll have some now also but they're probably covered in grime.

To answer your question... Maybe allow for some movement? I know part of the purpose is help them stay quiet and absorb vibration, at least that is what I was taught.

Looking to renew the front pads on my 12 BuickRegal Turbo. I like to use
GM parts,the pad Im looking at comes with "shims"https://www.gmpartscorp.com/p/Chevr...sc-Brake-Pad-Set-Front/78858061/84233325.html
I never had to use shims before. Is this rather normal and what do those shims do? Im confused.
Thanks
Shims, in brake pad speak...refer to the "shim" mounted to the steel backing plate that isolates the caliper casting or the piston from contacting the steel backing plate. There have been many types over the years....the cheaper pads use a painted piece of steel shimstock which does nothing, then there are multi-layer, different coatings, etc. Some marketing idiot got access to the catalog in this case it looks like. All decent pads include shims at this point in the game (if they're staked on)...shims that are tab retained sometimes are still supplied separate (but only at the OEM level).

Back