Inside Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too would like Amsoil to give up on the MLM.

I buy their transmission fluid and gear oil. But feel I can get synthetic oil as good at Walmart.

I buy their 4-stroke oil for OPE.

Meh, doesn't bother me. If it wasn't jobbers selling the oil it would be sales people employed by the company. What's the difference?

MLM gets a bad rap because of all the pyramid scheme of the 1980's which if Amsoil was a part of this they would have failed a long time ago.

I finally decided to go to what is now an Advance Auto Parts (had been Coast Automotive-a small, competent shop) near me as they had a wall of Amsoil products.
When I got there (a month ago) the Amsoil wall was gone.
I gestured with my thumb (as if to say, "Where'd it go?") and a counterman merely rolled his eyes.

I never knew Amsoil was totally into recruiting new salespeople as the classic MLM model suggests.

They might NOT be a classic MLM. They welcome salespeople, I think. They do not mandate that you become a distributor.

Of course, at their prices it ain't no fun being a customer.

I was a dealer for about 20+ years but simply my way of getting a reduced price, never really resold it. Now a preferred customer but the only products I use now are the PI and the tranny fluid. Too many good synthetics (okay, may not be true synthetics) out there at much less cost. My UOA of Amsoil when I was a user never came up to expectations, most I could go was 12,000 miles or so and the cost was just not worth it. I had a warehouse near me too which reduced the cost but the oil is simply too overpriced compared to the rest of the market and when using whatever is on sale the engine still outlasts the rest of the vehicle. So why pay $7/quart when Mobil 1 Ep can be had for under $4 after rebate.

People have a hard time wrapping their head around the concept that Amsoil is not a publicly traded company but a private one. Hence they have nobody but themselves to answer too on how they run the company. It is their prerogative to grow at the pace they seem fit to handle and keep the quality in place. MLM fits their needs in this regard. If they were to go big box retail, then big box retail then starts driving the price points and sets them up to be beholden to big box retail and then price pressure pushes into quality concessions to meet those lower price point.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Their logo says "1st in Synthetics" - I always thought Mobil 1 was the first synthetic oil.

The history of M1 lubricants goes back into the early 60s. First in aircraft, then diesel engines in the Artic in the later 60s. M1 came out in Europe in 73 and finally in the US in 74. I started using M1 5-20 in 1978. Here is a link of the history of M1. However Amsoil first came to the consumer in 1972 here in the States. AFAIK.

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the-...mobil-1-history

Last edited:
Thought Motul was first to make synthetic? Amsoil is good but having to pay to be a preferred customer is not something I'll ever be a part of. Its like paying your cable bill and then having QVC try to sell you something...hate it.Besides getting PP or PUP 0w20 at 4.99/5.99qt plus rebates at a local Napa up the road is more satisfying to me.

Originally Posted By: jakewells
i would use there products if they where available via a retail store like walmart.

My local NAPA carries Amsoil products. But judging from the bottles on the shelf, it looks like most of the Amsoil stays on their shelf for a long time.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
i would use there products if they where available via a retail store like walmart.

My local NAPA carries Amsoil products. But judging from the bottles on the shelf, it looks like most of the Amsoil stays on their shelf for a long time.

That was my observation when I visited a local parts store on Whidbey Island in WA that carried it. I was in the store a few times when my son was stationed there and I'd visit him and occasionally work on his car.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Thought Motul was first to make synthetic? Amsoil is good but having to pay to be a preferred customer is not something I'll ever be a part of. Its like paying your cable bill and then having QVC try to sell you something...hate it.Besides getting PP or PUP 0w20 at 4.99/5.99qt plus rebates at a local Napa up the road is more satisfying to me.

Have you shopped at Costco?
lol.gif

no such thing as a costco here never seen one or been inside one.

Amazon Prime?
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
no such thing as a costco here never seen one or been inside one.

Amazon Prime?
lol.gif

yuk!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
Their logo says "1st in Synthetics" - I always thought Mobil 1 was the first synthetic oil.

The history of M1 lubricants goes back into the early 60s. First in aircraft, then diesel engines in the Artic in the later 60s. M1 came out in Europe in 73 and finally in the US in 74. I started using M1 5-20 in 1978. Here is a link of the history of M1. However Amsoil first came to the consumer in 1972 here in the States. AFAIK.

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the-...mobil-1-history

I recall that Mobil 1 was instrumental in the construction of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline as conventional oil couldn’t handle the brutal cold up there. Growing up in Tacoma, the pipeline construction was a huge jobs maker both locally and up north.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

Its a bit of a 'play' on words - Amsoil was the first API-certified 100% synthetic oil in 1972. It me the then-new API 'SE' requirements for passenger cars.

Think it was a 10w40 … Mobil 1 started with a 20 …

Amsoil does not produce Spectrasyn or Esterex … so them blending a good final product is a tribute to both companies

Remember that some people don't like Walmart, or ordinary retail in general, and find something like Amsoil a good alternative.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Remember that some people don't like Walmart, or ordinary retail in general, and find something like Amsoil a good alternative.

where i live its either go to walmart or do with out.

Pretty close to that for me … parts houses are too high on oil except for year end …

No sir ~ Where I live you can find synthetic for about $2/quart year end …
I suspect employees and innermost circles get the first deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back