Info on Engines in Today's New Cars

Is this a trend for Nissan, do you think ? Away from Jatco CVTs ?
I hope so. This is the first time in 17 years we haven't had a Nissan parked in our garage. We've been extremely happy with our Nissan purchases over the years but the only vehicle in their product line we even considered this time around was the new Pathfinder with the new 9 speed. Had the Edge deal not happened, a Pathfinder might have been the one in our garage.

I hope so. This is the first time in 17 years we haven't had a Nissan parked in our garage. We've been extremely happy with our Nissan purchases over the years but the only vehicle in their product line we even considered this time around was the new Pathfinder with the new 9 speed. Had the Edge deal not happened, a Pathfinder might have been the one in our garage.
Thanks for your response. I do too.

I like a lot of their vehicles but that CVT keeps me away. I keep my cars a long long time. Perhaps it's foolish to others, but then, if CVT failure is happening to someone else it's never such a big deal on the internet. Lots of big spenders/ no worries people on the internet.

Just thought I'd update this thread. The wife and I talked last weekend and decided that we would make an attempt to purchase the Ford Edge we test drove before Christmas since it was still available. It was the vehicle my wife like the most out of all the vehicles we test drove. On Monday we visited the dealership again, test drove the vehicle one last time, and sat down with the salesman to see if we could make it happen. We couldn't make the deal that day. Throughout the next few days we were able to negotiate a deal that was acceptable to us. We picked it up late Thursday afternoon. I like it and the wife is ecstatic. This dealer worked from MSRP with no ADM. It was a better deal than I had anticipated which is why we purchased it. This process was the most relaxed, non-combative new car purchase, from negotiating through finance, that I have ever experienced.

The car we bought is loaded with tech. We were overwhelmed. The salesman did his best to explain the tech to us but we left there a little befuddled. Fortunately this dealership has an employee who's main function is to explain technology to new buyers. He was off Thursday so we have an appointment on Monday to meet with him and try to get a grasp of all the features this car has to offer. I mention this because this purchase is the first in my lifetime where I purchased an extended service plan just to cover all the tech this car has along with the additional complexity of the turbo.

I appreciate all who offered suggestions and advice. I never thought we would buy a new car during this time of tight inventories and pricing shenanigans that we experienced last week when test driving multiple brands of vehicles.

We have an 2016 edge with the 2.0L ecoboost. Have 60K trouble free miles.

theres always a learning curve with new tech + parts + it can take years of real world driving to get things sorted, so do you feel lucky!! as far as turbos they are generally good BUT more complicated + $$$$ if things go wrong + the DI allows lots more power + torque because it controls knock lots better along with premium fuel or not! still dont trust CVTs although they can be decent or not replacement out of warranty costs as much as an engine. my port injected turbod 1.8T VW went 200 thou without issue BUT the enhanced torque with mods stripped my 5th gear teeth-manual of course- while boosting to 25LB!!! a great fun car that averaged 30 mpg almost always!! Kia Hyundai 100 thou warranty is a great thing + girlfriends 2018 optima 2.4 non turbo DI is running flawlessly using NO oil unlike her oil drinking 13 2.5 NA malibu she traded!!!

The ZF 9 speed has quirks in all applications, here's part of the explanation why. likely this is part of the reason VW went with the Aisin 8 speed instead of the ZF for their FWD products.

Back