Independents not always cheaper - unusual case - Mercedes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: Olas
What's to stop you buying the mounts, putting tools in the car and driving to a Walmart car park to do the work?
If not Walmart then pep boys, auto zone, aap, etc...

If you can R&R engine and trans mounts on an E-Class Benz in a Walmart parking lot I'll buy one case of every beer in that same Walmart.

I forget the exact instructions, but in order to do the motor mounts, you have to take off the alternator, and then either disconnect some steering parts/subframe and then disconnect the dual exhaust. It's not exactly an easy job. Other cars you don't have to take as much apart to get to the motor mounts. It's really the labor to do it all, I think the mounts were in the $100-$150 range each for OEM, aftermarket might have been around $75 if they were available. The transmission mount is easier, nothing is really in the way. Oh and you might need a special short wrench to get at the bolt for the motor mount too.

You’ll actually get in trouble if you change wiper blades or an air filter at your complex? I’d just laugh at them.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Indies can be cheaper for a lot of things, but I find they also will give you that "I don't want to do this" price for certain jobs.

That's definitely a possibility as well. It could be because they're just really, really busy or that the vehicle is one they're not too familiar with. No different than my brother that does contracting work (home remodels, renovations, new construction, etc) and someone wants him to do a complete roof tear-off and re-shingle. He hates doing roofs now but won't "turn down" the work, instead, he'll just quote a price high enough that he figures most will get a cheaper quote elsewhere but if they take his price, it's a price that he'll happily do the work for !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back