In a world of part shortages, I'm grateful for this score 🙏

I don't know how many of you have had issues getting parts here and there but it has happened to me a few times with the Crown Vic.

Recently I stumbled upon a video on YouTube describing a brittle hose that's part of the emission system if I remember right. Anyways, the guy was discussing how it can affect your fuel economy etc and I thought well it's a $22 part so why not?

Then of course I tried to get one about 6 months ago both companies I tried sent responses back that it's on national back order. Then I called my local dealer about a week ago and of course they said no and I asked him if he could look it up for me in other dealers inventories. There was literally two of these hoses in the entire country, and no aftermarket equivalents that I could find. He told me I probably shouldn't bother because they won't let it go. However I did not let that deter me and I called a small dealership in Arkansas and he sold it to me!

Paid the $22 plus more than I would like for shipping but I consider it a win. Just sharing and a good reminder to look at other avenues and ask around if you can't find what you're looking for 🍻
IMG_20230425_075508949.jpg
IMG_20230425_075513530.jpg

Last edited:
I was going to pick up one of the last few OEM Ford PI intake manifolds for my 2001 MGM (or another panther). Unfortunately now they're gone.
I also need an EGR tube for my 2001 but I can't find any , aftermarket or OEM. May end up trying to weld up something or using furnace cement.

Reactions: D60
@ Panther Mike, Great Score! I have been waiting on some parts for my Dodge Dart for the past 3 weeks. Nothing has been on back order, just taking extra long to get.

A lot of those hoses will split or the connectors will break - I keep a kit handy that I can repair them. I save all the extra plastic lines, connectors etc from motor changes we do. Sometimes we even run a regular rubber hose if the part isn't available anymore. Glad you were able to get the correct part!

I needed a camshaft for my Odyssey... it was on backorder.

I ended up finding a good one at the junkyard - on the fifth engine I looked at - the first four had some degree of spalling, generally on the non-VCM intake cam.

I don't know how many of you have had issues getting parts here and there but it has happened to me a few times with the Crown Vic.

Recently I stumbled upon a video on YouTube describing a brittle hose that's part of the emission system if I remember right. Anyways, the guy was discussing how it can affect your fuel economy etc and I thought well it's a $22 part so why not?

Then of course I tried to get one about 6 months ago both companies I tried sent responses back that it's on national back order. Then I called my local dealer about a week ago and of course they said no and I asked him if he could look it up for me in other dealers inventories. There was literally two of these hoses in the entire country, and no aftermarket equivalents that I could find. He told me I probably shouldn't bother because they won't let it go. However I did not let that deter me and I called a small dealership in Arkansas and he sold it to me!

Paid the $22 plus more than I would like for shipping but I consider it a win. Just sharing and a good reminder to look at other avenues and ask around if you can't find what you're looking for 🍻
That is awesome!! happy that you were able to find that part! :giggle:(y)

I've done that in the past, feels better than winning the lottery (ok I wouldn't know, but close!!).. Makes you think of 3D printing a couple of spares!! Ive had dealers who wouldn't part with the last they had, but others had no problem selling it.. Those dealers were probably happy to get it off their shelf!

... Ive had dealers who wouldn't part with the last they had, but others had no problem selling it.. Those dealers were probably happy to get it off their shelf!
It comes down to business model and the parts manager I'd think. There is inventory holding cost of anywhere from .1 to .75 % per month (some distributors I've worked with go up to 2.5% monthly) on any particular part. If the parts manager (PM) wants to "optimize" return on his profitability reports, he holds a "cheap" part as it drops to zero but only "costs" 22.00 (based on your part for example).

Then, when a service call needs the part, the PM doubles or triples the price (44.00 or 66.00) on the internal "sale" to the service department as the "retail" price and his profitability numbers go up (albeit only 22 or 44 dollars, but on paper looks better). Easier to do on a low price item as most customers wouldn't be "surprised" by the price, and probably wouldn't even notice.

I've seen this model used by distributors across multiple different lines of products. Just depends, like you said.

I would’ve cut the hard line off of the connectors and attached a fuel line to them with some hose clamps, or at least keep is as spare now that you have a new one.
Yes great idea was thinking the same. I'm going to go ahead as the connectors are solid. Interestingly but not surprisingly the new hose is completely hard plastic which makes more sense.

Last edited:
Swapped it today easy as pie of course with those quick connectors. I'm seeing how much of a need there was for this part it is very brittle and cracked as I touched it.

Also thankfully they switched to a very hard plastic instead of the rubber material I don't think it will really need replacing in the future. however my plan is to remove the connectors from the old one and put some new hose on there as a backup just in case!

IMG_20230426_090206990.jpg
IMG_20230426_090138221.jpg
IMG_20230426_090101377.jpg

Years ago I wrote an estimate on a Pontiac Aztec, rear bumper damage, just some scratches but since it’s a textured bumper it had to be replaced. Shop was able to source the last OEM bumper in the US, which was local fortunately. Either they restarted production or everyone is using aftermarket replacements now.

I am finding Ford to "obsolete" parts much quicker than other manufacturers. Maybe Ford uses more model specific/ year specific parts. All I know that parts for older Fords, even their full-size trucks, should be something one is proactive to identify and stash for future use.

Back