Improperly attributed quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 97prizm
As a journalist this really ticks me off. All quotes should be properly attributed. Not doing this could have caused professors to possibly fail us on the paper. Who said what really matters.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: madRiver
FaceBook is a distortion of reality people eventually believe as news, fact and lives.

At least in the old days, they had the decency to sell it in a supermarket checkout line with "World News" or something similar on the cover.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Why Facebook is used for pushing agendas to "friends", instead of showing food, vacation and baby pictures is beyond me.

It was used for those reasons, but then people who don't have lives and only know how to complain started getting vocal that people were 'bragging' about how they live.

Social media is a terrible idea that never should have taken off.

Facebook is entertainment, not news.

Having an expectation of accuracy is to mis-understand why people are there in the first place.

The furor about "news" on Facebook is really all about people who don't read the newspaper, don't watch the news on TV, and aren't reached by normal media in the first place. That they are now getting their "news" in the form of entertainment with no real obligation to accuracy bothers those who do read newspapers, watch TV and listen to radio news programs, and live in academic worlds where these kinds of things are the basis of their "work".

Let's not forget that this is also a fight between traditional Media and Social Networking Media. As expected, the more serious news outlets are playing the story big, because their "bread-and-butter" requires that they be taken more seriously than made up drivel. Where people get their media is important to them, because it is "them" that will lose if they fail to at least make the issue in the forefront. There are battles at other quarters they are also fighting, where serious journalism can be dismissed with an offhand remark. They are in a fighting mood, basically.

But realize that these poorly-informed citizens have always existed. They voted at the turn of the 20th century just as often as they vote at the turn of the 21st, and with about the same accuracy in information. It just annoys some that with literacy that still exists.

Certainly there is no need to increase the amount of poor history and news reporting but personally I think the panic is overblown. Facebook is just what it is.

I also think that people's ability to self-censor what they see and read on Social Media is under-estimated. Just because something is posted on FB doesn't necessarily mean that everyone who reads it believes it.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Social media is a terrible idea that never should have taken off.

As Homer Simpson once said, "See Lisa, instead of one big-shot controlling all the media, now there's a thousand freaks xeroxing their worthless opinions." Xeroxing, of course, was a bit of a dated reference, but it works.
wink.gif

People believe what that are told to believe and what they want to believe. If facts get in the way they are easy to rationalize away, or just make up new ones.

So many people never learned how to think. They live in Fufuland - a state where facts, logic, and scientific methodology are irrelevant. They can believe what they wish and say what they wish, since in the absence of facts they enjoy the safety of not being proven wrong. With billions of people still believing there are spirits living in the sky that watch and judge us, I wouldn't expect anything to change soon. Gullible little creatures we are, and Fufu-Masters exploit it daily.

People used to sit around and tell lies. At the general store, or at the dinner table. Sometimes outright lies, sometimes half-truths, and sometimes just whatever they heard from someone else. Social media just enlarges that circle and speeds up the process. But I suspect it's innate human behavior. Maybe this behavior is missing in more stoic/uptight societies?

In my home they are known as"
FarceBook
Instacrap
Twit-utter

Who needs facts and data (which consume time and effort from one's day) when mythology and rhetoric are cheap and plentiful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back