I'm putting the Redline 0w30 in today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Here is what it looks like... keep in mind when I usually put Amsoil in it's clear on the dipstick and look like nothing on there at all and you have to hold it at a weird angle to see anything so this is very dark in comparison.

rl1.jpg

When I put it in yesterday and started it up, then shut off to check the level it was even darker.

You can also see how runny the oil is at our current weather of 7C (44F)

It ran above the Full mark as shown and dripped onto the plastic under the hood also as shown. It has the consistency of water.

That's about how mine looked fresh out of the bottle.

I put Amsoil 5-30 HDD in out F-150 at 6K miles. I had beening running it at OCI of 6k. This stuff still really looked clean when draining everytime. I never did analysis as I didn't feel a need to yet. My bro came over with 2 cases for MC 5-30 semi syn. I chaged the oil in his V-10 then thought what the [censored] I'll put some in the F-150. At about 1500 miles this stuff looked like it needed to be changed. MC is a very clean oil upon first pour. I still use the HDD in the F150 but it has also made me really wonder if my money is being spent well.
I just aquired a 99 F150 and wanted to clean it up so I maybe going the AARX route or redline.

This thread has me thinking, seems a few guys have the same observations regarding the Amsoil Oil's color. My dad commented that it stays very clean looking too, where as Mobil 1 and PP always got dirty looking in a lot less time.

Now I buy into the color of the oil doesn't matter etc. to a degree. But if the oil is staying clean then is it doing any cleaning? Maybe the Amsoil does less cleaning because it was designed to be an extended drain oil. If it did a lot of cleaning that would be harmful for a longer OCI since more junk would be in the oil early on, some but not all would be trapped by the filter depending on the size of it. In shorter OCI's it isn't cleaning an engine and might be letting junk build up, so it might do more harm than good in those cases. Just thinking outloud, better get the flame suit on and
27.gif
LOL

No need for a flame suite. I think this is conversation that should be talked about. I stated before I am an amsoil dealer for 7 years now and it raises question to me. Yes color doesn't mean everything but at 4000 miles it should look as if you just installed it, especially in a higher milage engine. I wonder how the XL looks after 3k.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
This thread has me thinking, seems a few guys have the same observations regarding the Amsoil Oil's color. My dad commented that it stays very clean looking too, where as Mobil 1 and PP always got dirty looking in a lot less time.

Now I buy into the color of the oil doesn't matter etc. to a degree. But if the oil is staying clean then is it doing any cleaning? Maybe the Amsoil does less cleaning because it was designed to be an extended drain oil. If it did a lot of cleaning that would be harmful for a longer OCI since more junk would be in the oil early on, some but not all would be trapped by the filter depending on the size of it. In shorter OCI's it isn't cleaning an engine and might be letting junk build up, so it might do more harm than good in those cases. Just thinking outloud, better get the flame suit on and
27.gif
LOL

For what it's worth, my Amsoil ACD started out dark and ended up pretty dark at the end of a 5,000 mile OCI. This is an engine that saw the same high detergent synthetic oil almost from the beginning to 70,000 miles so I doubt there's anything to clean. It looks like a brand new engine that someone poured some clean oil on under the valvecover. Redline got a little darker right away but has stayed fairly light in color at 4,000 miles. It's pretty safe to say Redline is going to end up lighter at the end than the ACD I've always run. I don't put much weight into it.

I could go either way and say Redline doesn't clean as well as the ACD or I could say Redline provides a better ring seal so there's less blowby to turn it dark. I really don't believe either statement.

Originally Posted By: buster
Color doesn't mean anything. M1 always became dark quickly. Redline does the same thing. People get fooled into thinking clear oil means better oil. Not so. They also use dye in motor oil and some of the additives of certain oils react different to heat.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
The color of the oil is not indicative of anything.
I know it doesn't was just asking... Don't think anything is wrong, just curious how my experience compared to other Red Line users.

Originally Posted By: kbuzbee
Excellent thread. I too will be following this one.

Thanks Steve!

Ken
Glad I could Contribute
grin2.gif
I will be posting the UOA's of my Amsoil run prior to this and then I will run Redline for 3 consecutive runs and test on the end of the third to compare.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1

27.gif
LOL
My amsoil is clear when it goes in and then turns to a similar colour as the Redline photo I posted above after about 2K KM's (1200 miles) and stays that colour until I change it out.

Better ring seal is an interesting idea.

All the oils I've ever used became very dark after 3k miles. When tested, all had plenty of life left. In my experience, and testing, oil color has meant nothing.

I would like to know more about the effect.

My engine uses no measurable amount of oil between changes at all. I go double the recommended OCI and my engine has over 230K KM (144K Miles) on it. (To me just broken in)

Maybe I have a very tight seal and this is why???

The break-in process is interesting. I personally have had better luck by breaking in the engine hard, then babying it. The cars I was too gentile with during the break-in phase, all used some amount of oil.

The break-in process is interesting. I personally have had better luck by breaking in the engine hard, then babying it. The cars I was too gentile with during the break-in phase, all used some amount of oil.

I was talking about the mileage as the engine just being broken in... I was kidding.

I did rolling WOT's the first week I got it to seal the rings properly and changed the oil frequently with good dino oil. I do this with all my engines and they seem to last forever and don't burn oil even when they get up there in age.
wink.gif

Stevie, just wondering what made you try Redline? Were you just looking for a 0 weight or something else?

I'll be putting a 0w30 in my hybrid before winter and was thinking of Petro Can 0w30, but your Redline thread has me thinking about using it instead...

Just wanted to try an oil that claims to be superior because of it's POE makeup is all. I have tried just about everything else and Amsoil seems to be the best so far from what I have tried.

I have run 0w30 Amsoil SSO before and run it regularly, I just wanted to compare this to Redline 0w30 for an Apples/Apples comparison.

I have noticed Mobil 1 does turn pretty dark in toyotas whereas the Redline stays a lighter brown color for the majority of the OCI. I know it doesnt have any merit to how well the oil is lubricating, just an interesting observation.

I think you will really like the RL up there in canada. As you know it really depends on what make and model vehicle you have. I have found that the majority of Toyota motors love RL 5w-30.

You'd think the darker and dirtier an oil appears the more cleaning it is doing. I think that is a pretty safe assumption. But as others have stated color doesn't mean much. As with some of the cleaning products we talk about all the time if the engine was clean to begin with then there would be little or nothing to clean. Each case is different.

Better ring seal is an interesting idea.

All the oils I've ever used became very dark after 3k miles. When tested, all had plenty of life left. In my experience, and testing, oil color has meant nothing.

I would like to know more about the effect.

I saw if firsthand in the GN. With normal rings the oil was nearly black at 1,500 miles and it was expected due to the typically rich transition to boost and the sheer amount of boost (29+psi). That was the first 3 rebuilds. Then I switched over to Total Seal gapless rings which had much less blowby (nothing coming out of the breathers vs the others) and the worst the oil got was slightly darker than when I put it in. Huge difference with the same oil under the same conditions with better ring seal. Oil temps also went down considerably, around 50 degrees.

I was talking about the mileage as the engine just being broken in... I was kidding.

I did rolling WOT's the first week I got it to seal the rings properly and changed the oil frequently with good dino oil. I do this with all my engines and they seem to last forever and don't burn oil even when they get up there in age.
wink.gif

Cool. Yeah I should have done that. I'm convinced it works.

The reasons I like Redline are:

1. Great customer service. Roy and Dave are very straightforward. Nothing to hide about the product.

2. One of the only companies to be using POE base oils.

3. Small American company.

Just wanted to try an oil that claims to be superior because of it's POE makeup is all. I have tried just about everything else and Amsoil seems to be the best so far from what I have tried.

I have run 0w30 Amsoil SSO before and run it regularly, I just wanted to compare this to Redline 0w30 for an Apples/Apples comparison.

Keep in mind not all oils are superior at everything. Redline builds their oils to sustain ridiculously high temperatures and load. That is where their oils excel the most.

Over long drain intervals, SSO will hold up better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back