If you won the Lottery how much would satisfy you

Poor people will always be poor because,,, they are poor.

Yep, it ain't because they bought $20 in lottery tickets in a year or bought a boat or travel trailer.

Their lifestyle is nothing but bad decisions.

I used to work with a guy, this was a decent engineering office. He was the trailer trash of the office. It wasn't like he made much less than most in the office, his lifestyle was what kept him living like he worked part-time at Dollar General. He didn't know anything different.

Always broke as church mouse, always itching for payday Friday. Always drove some duct-taped, zip-tied POS vehicle. Everyone else in the office lived a decent middle-class life.

If what you're suggesting is to pay off debts and eliminate bills, I'd certainly agree. I don't bring in much money these days, but I have no debts and little to no need to buy things such as household items, clothing, and so on. I have pretty much everything that I need and a good portion of what I want. No, I don't have an Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato or a Ferrari Type 166 MM, but the ol' Camry gets me where I want to go reliably and inexpensively, and there's something very comforting about owning a paid-for vehicle.

As for what I'd like in the way of lottery winnings, a net of 5M would make me very happy, but so would $25,000, or even $10,000 or $5,000.
Shel, sounds like you bet on yourself and won. Well done.

Shel, sounds like you bet on yourself and won. Well done.
Well, I have a secret: My sweetie! She helped me get straightened out in many ways, offered great advice and suggestions, and I am the better for it.

The best thing that ever happened to me
View attachment 172841

Attachments

• Vera May 1984.jpg
    Vera May 1984.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 6
Enough to be paid $200-$500k/year after taxes which will allow original amount millions to grow but not put any real dent in the amount.

At this point in life I would pay $60k to own home. Likely pick a new career and flight lesson’s definitely.

I first would change my name to AM Zee09

If asked what the AM stands for, I would say I'm a morning person.

How much you ask? Seems like even with my millions and OK retirement income, that $200K Merc Sprinter and traveling wherever on the globe we want doesn't seem financially possible. So I suppose, another 3 million would suffice. But If I win in the B range, then coastal home with property here we come.

I would still manage the money myself and be low key.

Last edited:
I would still manage the money myself and be low key.
A few mil would probably be low key around here. Really, it depends on how you flash it around (although apparently a $100k pickup truck is just "average" now). One could keep much of it under wraps and just travel. Although if you retire before 60 I suspect it's assumed that you're loaded.

Me personally, I could get by nicely with a couple of million. But if I had more than that there's a couple of places where I would like to have a few houses. And maybe a few big toys like a sailboat and a pontoon boat.

But if I hit it really big I have hundreds of relatives so I would do things to drastically improve each of their lives.

And there is a business that I would like to start.

Years ago there was someone who hit pretty big locally and he hired one of his friends to be his full-time charity determination distributor. In other words he realized the need to be charitable but did not allow it to interfere with his life.

A few mil would probably be low key around here. Really, it depends on how you flash it around (although apparently a $100k pickup truck is just "average" now). One could keep much of it under wraps and just travel. Although if you retire before 60 I suspect it's assumed that you're loaded.
My wife used to (no longer) would see a nice car and assume the people are very rich. She's not an ignorant person. She just assumed people who bought nice cars could actually afford them. Kind of an old timey concept!

The states that allow you to remain anonymous.

1. Arizona
  2. Delaware
  3. Florida
  4. Georgia
  5. Kansas
  6. Maryland
  7. Minnesota
  8. Mississippi
  9. Missouri
  10. Montana
  11. New Jersey
  12. North Dakota
  13. Ohio
  14. South Carolina
  15. Texas
  16. Virginia
  17. West Virginia
A few other states allow you to remain private through a trust.

I always laugh with disgust when people start buying tickets when the Lottery goes over $300M; because "How am I supposed to improve my situation with a lousy $30 - $60M!" :( :)

$500k after taxes would help me get out of my old Log cabin hunting lodge in the woods and into a post and beam or stick built home - if there are any left around here!

It's a nice little government scam for sure. And then they even tax the winnings. NPCs love it :ROFLMAO:

California doesn’t tax California Lottery winnings for California residents. The Feds immediately take a 25% cut, but the tax liability is bound to be more than that.

Back