What would you take off if you were going into the water to save a drowning person?

Parents should get their kids swimming lessons at least for basic swimming. Don't depend on the blow up swim aids you can get for young children. Either have them learn to swim or wear a life preserver if the water is over their heads.

My parents took me for swimming lessons when young and then YMCA camp where there were swimming lessons every day I think. In high school I got Senior Lifesaving certified and after college NAUI and PADI certified for scuba.
This. Get them in the water early so that they learn to feel comfortable with it, since panic is the main cause of drowning. They should learn in a fresh water pool since after that salt water is really easy.
In open water, be aware of currents since they can carry you quickly. Wife and I were recently snorkeling in St Lucia and Tobago to name two places with currents that would wisk you away from your boat in the spots we were in with only a brief heads-down time and we'd then had to work to get back.
An added thought is that if you're going in to try to rescue somebody, a moment spent pulling on fins and mask with snorkel would probably be time well spent, since fins greatly improve your ability to move along and clear vision in the water is always useful and the snorkel might come in handy as well.

Depends on the situation. I took, and passed, the Red Cross Lifesaving class when I was in high school. One training exercise they made us do was jump in the deep end of the pool fully clothed. The weight of jeans and sneakers is beyond what you can imagine. If at all possible, I'm taking off as much as possible and trying to bring a stick or something for the person to grab onto. Last option is to approach a panicking person in the water.
That said, when my son was about 8-9, I brought him to a classmates pool party. My son was ok in the water as we had a small pool but really couldn't swim. He brought a small foam type kick board with him and wore his suit to the party. All the other kids were already in so he went in too. We've now been there about 30 seconds and I know virtually no one. My son started moving to the deep end and even though I said no he kept on towards his buddies. Then, he lost his grip on the board and went under and in I go after him. Phone, wallet, keys, clothes, everything. Saved my son and made quite the impression on the rest of the party goers. Still like to remind my son that he owes me.....BIG TIME!

Back