If you won the Lottery how much would satisfy you

That 1.5 billion scared me . My grandchildren would be kidnap targets and could never live a normal life . There's a lot of things to consider besides how to spend the money .
If I could clear a couple of million I think I could stay under the radar and be comfortable .

There was a reporter who claimed to have tracked down a big lottery winner who had moved somewhere else and claimed that nobody in town knew that she had won a big lottery jackpot. I don't know about going that far. There was one guy who won the largest jackpot in history and didn't remain anonymous and bought property in his own name. He hasn't done any direct publicity, but he had some spokesman who stated that he had hired 3 bodyguards.

That 1.5 billion scared me . My grandchildren would be kidnap targets and could never live a normal life . There's a lot of things to consider besides how to spend the money .
If I could clear a couple of million I think I could stay under the radar and be comfortable .

There was one winner who was actually in Iraq and bought his ticket (from the Oregon Lottery) through a service that was an intermediary. He requested anonymity on the basis that he and his family would be a target for ransom. But he actually traveled to Oregon to cash it in.

I think I would be satisfied with 50M, but if I have 1B I would probably work very hard to make sure it is generating the appropriate return instead of just relax for the rest of my life.

50M bucket list would likely include a mistress and a few nice houses in a few countries I like, paid for education for my kids and grand kids in the future, and some serious traveling.

There was one winner who was actually in Iraq and bought his ticket (from the Oregon Lottery) through a service that was an intermediary. He requested anonymity on the basis that he and his family would be a target for ransom. But he actually traveled to Oregon to cash it in.

My guess would be a money laundering scheme. He could have spend $10M to win that 6M and I have seen that in the past how some gangster would buy the winning tickets for above face value in cash.

With 6M he could immigrate to the US with investment program.

After I took care of my kids, grand kids, great grand kids, 5 million after taxes. They would all be taken care of a LOT, so if you blow it........don't come crying to me.
I’d really want to live in peace so your amount is good.

Who really wants to have bodyguards etc?

These days a billion isn’t unfathomable as we can be in the same room as a billionaire and exchange pleasantries. But it does attract interest and attention.

10 mil before taxes is so innocent and nobody would be envious…

My guess would be a money laundering scheme. He could have spend $10M to win that 6M and I have seen that in the past how some gangster would buy the winning tickets for above face value in cash.

With 6M he could immigrate to the US with investment program.

Unlikely. The ticket was purchased through a British company that held his ticket physically in the United States. I don't believe it was any sort of syndicate purchase. Also - he took it in 25 installments. There's a mandatory tax amount for foreign gambling winnings unless one is from specific countries that have some sort of negotiation with the United States. He actually had a reported low six figure installment payment which went into a US bank account.

That sort of money would be enough to live comfortably in Iraq.

I already won the lotto the day I quit drinking. The rest is gravy.
With money, it is not so much the amount, it is what you do with it.

I suggest you work to minimize your long time recurring costs; then you are in the driver's seat.
You don't need no stinkin' lotto...

The more the merrier when it comes to dreaming about winning and what I'd do with it so I'd like to win as much as possible.

If I won BIG BIG I'd definitely invest most of it and start a few businesses. One of them would be a private security/elite protection firm. Big money in that and I could make sure I'm protected because if you win billions you probably become a target.

I'd buy my mother a property somewhere around here. Something very modest, but here, realistically, a place with land is like a million. Then I'd buy myself a property elsewhere, and build a house and datacenter in it, surrounded by huge walls and more security systems and security guards. Maybe I'm paranoid. But renting out server space is profitable and I'd enjoy redundant power and internet and high end security for my house at the same time.

Of course a few cars. Nothing too crazy. Maybe an F-150 Lightning and an Explorer ST. I'm not at all interested in Ferraris, Lambos, those don't interest me at all and are a waste of money IMO.

Really even winning a little and ending up with 100K would be sweet. Pay off my debt, and a reasonable down payment for a house (somewhere else, not in California) sounds good to me.

The more the merrier when it comes to dreaming about winning and what I'd do with it so I'd like to win as much as possible.

If I won BIG BIG I'd definitely invest most of it and start a few businesses. One of them would be a private security/elite protection firm. Big money in that and I could make sure I'm protected because if you win billions you probably become a target.

I'd buy my mother a property somewhere around here. Something very modest, but here, realistically, a place with land is like a million. Then I'd buy myself a property elsewhere, and build a house and datacenter in it, surrounded by huge walls and more security systems and security guards. Maybe I'm paranoid. But renting out server space is profitable and I'd enjoy redundant power and internet and high end security for my house at the same time.

Of course a few cars. Nothing too crazy. Maybe an F-150 Lightning and an Explorer ST. I'm not at all interested in Ferraris, Lambos, those don't interest me at all and are a waste of money IMO.

Really even winning a little and ending up with 100K would be sweet. Pay off my debt, and a reasonable down payment for a house (somewhere else, not in California) sounds good to me.
I think it's great of you to take care of your Mom. A place in the Napa Valley would be heaven. We have a place in Chicken Town, aka Petaluma. A breath of fresh air as compared to Silicon Valley.

I think it's great of you to take care of your Mom. A place in the Napa Valley would be heaven. We have a place in Chicken Town, aka Petaluma. A breath of fresh air as compared to Silicon Valley.
If I could afford it Petaluma is where I'd buy my mom a property. I've spent quite a bit of time in Petaluma and the vibe is MUCH friendlier than Napa Valley.

At the age of 77 If I won something big I would have to move. I have everything and more than I need. My kids don't need anything.I can move into Elizabethtown Masonic Village at any time. Its hard to beat this one.

If I could afford it Petaluma is where I'd buy my mom a property. I've spent quite a bit of time in Petaluma and the vibe is MUCH friendlier than Napa Valley.
Really, I never knew that. I thought Petaluma was a little more expensive because it's a relatively easy Silicon Valley commute.
I don't know Napa that well, but people seem to love it. I thought there was a lot going on there... Petaluma is pretty sleepy.

The more I won in a mega lottery, the more I could help the poor anonymously. At least 10 of my winnings would go to the poor and I would decide which specific families. Another 10% would go to outer family, like nephews and nieces. Could number 12-13.

Myself & wife at age 71? Two new vehicle leases every two years. A very large one floor country home with 150 acres .... mostly hunting woods. Home to sit back at least 125 yards from the road. Three vehicle garage with another large barn nearby. Nearest neighbor 250+ yards away.

Smother our two daughters and grandkids with nice places - nice vehicles and nice clothes.
We like to travel the USA a-lot. All 50 states - Canada & the Arctic too. Overseas, no thanks. No more plane rides for me. Boats, trains and automobiles only. I'm not interested in buying motor homes either. No campgrounds anymore either.

Last edited:
Let’s see there are three things i would want. Enough to open up my own shop. That’s my dream in life to open my own repair shop and have techs working for me and me being the big man. And also enough for me to pay for travel and tickets to all MLB stadiums. That’s my second dream in life to visit every MLB stadium. Then lastly I want some to give to my parents. They have always been there for me and gave me a place to live and have always said if they won the lottery they would give me some so I’d give them some too. And my parents want to retire really badly but are in no spot to do so so I’d want to help them as much as i could. I know my sister wouldn’t so I would. So let’s see maybe $2-$3 million worth?
Cook and eat meals at home. You will be well on the way to that first $million! ;)

Really, I never knew that. I thought Petaluma was a little more expensive because it's a relatively easy Silicon Valley commute.
I don't know Napa that well, but people seem to love it. I thought there was a lot going on there... Petaluma is pretty sleepy.
Napa sucks, TBH. People here have an attitude they don't have in Petaluma.

Almost nothing.

“I beseech you to treasure up in your hearts these my parting words: Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.” -Horace Mann

That’s the quote that is going to haunt me on my deathbed. Heard it in an old Twilight Zone when I was a teen. I haven’t yet won some victory.
If I could figure out how to do that, I’d be much happier.
In case you’re wondering - that’s the weight put on the shoulders of someone raised as one of the bright ones.

I'd be happy with any windfall for personal spending. But if I had to choose a number, it would be based on what I want to do. I'd probably need at least 250 million and more likely $1B for desired projects. Which include building a unique open rotor small aircraft engine, A more efficient air conditioner, some work with the Mach effect, and other side projects.

Back