I want a muscle car or big truck from the 70s/80s

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about a late model A body Dodge Dart with a 340 or 360? One of those shouldn't be too hard to find or cost a lot, and there's huge aftermarket tuning potential out there.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Big block Torinos,Cyclones, Cuda, Roadrunners, as well as lots of others from almost every division were all awesome muscle cars.

Engines like the..
426 Hemi
429 Fords mighty twisted Hemi
428 and 429 CJ and SCJ
427 Ford
427 chevy
389 6 pack
401 Buick w/2 4bbl
And dozens more make my heart beat faster every time i hear or drive one them. When the Americans built a car without government CAFE regulation and the EPA they were best normal assembly line cars in world bar none at an affordable price.
Shame what we have come to accept in modern times.

And you completely overlooked a real sleeper, the 73-74 Super Duty Firebirds. Same power as the 60's on unleaded fuel! But they are a bit pricey.

No i didnt overlook it, ther just isnt enough room to post a list of every great muscle cars.

Lots of Pontiac, Puicks and Olds models were good muscle cars.
Engines like the Kenne Bell Buick tweaked 430 and 455 engines,
the 409 bowtie chevrolet that could tear the trailing arm perches out with the slightest provocation and lots of others are long forgoten for the most part.

Rambler Scrambler.
AMX
Old 443
Buick GS Stage 1
Ford Fairlane 427 thunderbolt
Mercury Comet 390
Pontiac GTO 389
On and on the list is almost endless, there were what American car building was all about and are still sought after and prized around the world.

Edit: Spelling.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

th_96238fc0.jpg

This gets my vote.

I'm in the same boat of wanting a rumpity-rump v8 classic american car.

I'm after a Mopar or AMC.
Most likely AMC.
Marlin, Javelin, Rogue, Rebel, Machine, even a Hornet if it's the right deal.

Call me crazy, but I like the early 80's Dodge Mirada/Chrysler Cordoba quite a bit. My uncle had a Cordoba with a 400 in it. It was pretty sweet!

Real old school big-block muscle cars died out in the early 'seventies.
A decent restored example will run $$$$, while a good original will run $$$$+.
How about a mainstream V-8 American from the 'sixties through the early 'seventies?
None of the affordable (small block) American cars of that period are anything like fast, but they can be built to be fast, if that's what you want.
An old, large drop-top is very classy, something like a GM B- or C-body. The B-body covertible was offered through 1975.
You can probably buy a pretty nice one for ~10K, and you can build that SBC to whatever level you want, using the decades of expertise developed by others.

1969-1971 Chrysler 300 2-Door with the 440 TNT and 2.94 Gears.
Nothing like a 150 mph Full-Size American Luxury Coupe.
This is American Cars the way they were meant to be.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
1969-1971 Chrysler 300 2-Door with the 440 TNT and 2.94 Gears.
Nothing like a 150 mph Full-Size American Luxury Coupe.
This is American Cars the way they were meant to be.

thumbsup2.gif
cheers3.gif

Thing is, if you get something from the late 70s with 4 doors, it's not "cool" and you can score a solid one one for $2k. People thumb their noses because stock, a 300 ci V8 only got 130 hp off the showroom floor.

All the smog stuff can be ripped out. Lean burn carbs and distributors can be replaced with non feedback holleys and vacuum advance units. Cams swap out. Heads shave. Catalytic convertors don't strangle much but a dual exhaust with requisite glasspacks might fit and can be pretty cheap.

I would honestly get someone else's project. My BIL bought a crown vic, did a whole new front end, had the transmission rebuilt, fixed the airbag light, used cop grade stuff, then got tired of it and sold it for $1000. Couldn't find any other buyers bc of gas prices.

Some people who love the look of a 70s car, but hate the engines from back then will swap their engine out for one that had EFI from the factory. Those engines also typically had reliable electronically timed spark, which replaced all kinds of vacuum gadgetry between the intake manifold and distributor vacuum advance. Other times, they buy a self-learning TBI that goes where the 2 or 4 barrel carb used to be.

One problem with smog engines doesn't stem from the gadgetry attached to them, but the cylinder heads and cams that had to be compromised to build them. More modern cylinder heads and hydraulic roller cams got around that problem.

to:Gene K. chrysler did NOT build a real lettered 300 after 1965. and one should be careful saying a certain car is the fastest. it will ALLWAYS happen that someone will try to prove that there car is fastest/ quickest. just remember the one that sets the guidlines , his car will be at the top of the list. i could draw the guidlines so that a vespa scooter is the fastest.

Well if someone wanted a late 70's Mopar 4 door hardtop, I got a new yorker Brougham with a 440 and three speed auto for 2k. Has 78k original miles on it, paint is still in good shape(no rust holes, dents, or bubbling). Just some nicks, and wear and tear. Copper with white vinyl top and red leather interior.

shoot me a PM for pics.

But back to the topic. I have seen a 72 Nova 350 SS go for as little as 8k in wonderful shape at the Goodguys event in Des Moines. I know that you can pick up something like a 67 Impala SS big block for about half as much as a Chevelle from my watching of Ebay as of late.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
For the truck catergory a 4x4 late 70's to early 80's Chevy or GMC are cool and easy to work on.

The Fall Guy truck
i005980.jpg

that is if you can find one that has at least one of its body panels left lol! they rusted badly even here in east tn!
I'd say get a foxbody as the aftermarket is huge for these cars and they are light to start with as some one already mentioned. hard to beat the sound of a built fox with a huge cam thumpin

Only problem with the Fox body is that to me they are just too ugly to be called a Mustang. I do recall hearing that Ford was going to name the Probe the new Mustang, but worried since it was essentially a Japanese car that people would not bite.

They always reminded me of some really bad 70's and 80's boxy econo cars in their looks.

But if you want cheap speed that easy to upgrade, they do work. I just like the 94 and up style much more.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Only problem with the Fox body is that to me they are just too ugly to be called a Mustang. I do recall hearing that Ford was going to name the Probe the new Mustang, but worried since it was essentially a Japanese car that people would not bite.

They always reminded me of some really bad 70's and 80's boxy econo cars in their looks.

But if you want cheap speed that easy to upgrade, they do work. I just like the 94 and up style much more.

Really?

23838410001_large.jpg

mmfp_0809_02_z+1989_ford_mustang_gt+with_destiny_m%20%20onique_front_view.jpg

31.jpg

AutoX.jpg

Marcs1989TTNotchSideshotinfrontofdadsgarage.JPG

90-red-mustang-gt-1.jpg

mmfp_0807_01_z+1990_mustang_lx+front_view.jpg

new_stang.jpg

1990_ford_mustang_gt_burnout.jpg

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Yep...ugly as sin to me. My family had a couple, never liked em.
shocked.gif

i can't believe it! actually i know a couple ppl who don't like them...but i love them they are soooo cool! if you like the sn95 94+ models, what about a cobra from those years? they are pretty affordable nowadays and the 32v sounds awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back