I think I found it this time. 2014 Caprice PPV 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
It is not a G8 (cousin yes, but not a G8). I know that the G8 had vented rear brakes

I drove my G8 today and can say with absolute certainty that it has solid rotors on both ends. The GT may have had vented - don't recall; I almost bought a GXP when they pulled the plug, but don't recall anything different about the brakes on those cars - been about seven years since I looked at one.

Mike: I don't think you will find the brakes to be a weak point on these cars.

.... This is GM and they are know for that. That is why the Pontiac Solstice shares parts with the Hummer H3. Heck the 6-speed was used with the Tahoe and Hummers too.

It also shared parts with the CTS. So what? The Solstice uses a 5L40E, btw. Obviously, it's a 5 speed. A colleague of mine had the little Hummer. Best as I recall, it used the 5L40E. I didn't care for much for the 6 speed tranny in the G8 ( or the active fuel management ), personally. The 5L40E is a much better unit, but obviously can't take the power of a V8.

Your knowledge of Holdens and Solstices seems dubious to me. What kind of Doc are you anyway?

edit: maybe a 4L60E in the little Hummer. They were still in use at that time - my GTO had one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Win
It is not a G8 (cousin yes, but not a G8). I know that the G8 had vented rear brakes

I drove my G8 today and can say with absolute certainty that it has solid rotors on both ends. The GT may have had vented - don't recall; I almost bought a GXP when they pulled the plug, but don't recall anything different about the brakes on those cars - been about seven years since I looked at one.

Mike: I don't think you will find the brakes to be a weak point on these cars.

.... This is GM and they are know for that. That is why the Pontiac Solstice shares parts with the Hummer H3. Heck the 6-speed was used with the Tahoe and Hummers too.

It also shared parts with the CTS. So what? The Solstice uses a 5L40E, btw. Obviously, it's a 5 speed. A colleague of mine had the little Hummer. Best as I recall, it used the 5L40E. I didn't care for much for the 6 speed tranny in the G8 ( or the active fuel management ), personally. The 5L40E is a much better unit, but obviously can't take the power of a V8.

Your knowledge of Holdens and Solstices seems dubious to me. What kind of Doc are you anyway?

Yes, the V6 had the solid rotors (I think), I was specifying the GT/6.0 variant. Should have been more clear on that option. My point is that one should not assume that a Impala PPV and a Caprice PPV is a completely 100% different car. There are difference, yes (obviously-darn it). The will share some components especially in this type of use as GM definitely does pick from a common parts bin (for good and bad). Looking at those front brakes, they look different from my "pursuit" Impala (kinda of a oxymoron joke btw).

here is a link to edmunds longterm walk around on the suspension... pics too.
http://www.edmunds.com/pontiac/g8/2008/l...walkaround.html

I am not trying to rain-out someone's day but most of the public never sees these vehicles for purchase and often confuses what "police vehicles" are which and definitely does not know there are pursuit-oriented option packages (and "regular packages"). I have had to oversee and place orders for these vehicles. If a dealer showed up at my office with one of these vehicle, in the back of my mind I would be thinking that this particular model is the non-pursuit variant. There are perks to going with the non-pursuit version (ie it will likely be more reliable for everyday driving).

It is a cousin to the G8.... not a G8 in the end.

Last edited:
What kind of Doc are you anyway?

PhD in Transportation (Urban Planning/Public Policy) and specialized in fuel economy. I burned out and the academic world... prefer the "real world" where I can get greasy.

Last edited:
Just got back from the dealer. Rear disc are vented. Shows it on the build sheet to. I will post a pic later. Took one. Already has a Borla the dealer installed it.

Quote:

Yes, the V6 had the solid rotors (I think), I was specifying the GT/6.0 variant.

I can assure you the V6 has solid rotors. Best as I recall, no difference in the brakes between the G8 and G8 GT. The GXP might have gotten slots - again, it was seven years ago when I was looking at buying one and I am not going to claim perfect recall.

Again, Mike: I do not think you will find the brakes to be a weak point on thse cars.

Quote:

here is a link to edmunds longterm walk around on the suspension... pics too.
http://www.edmunds.com/pontiac/g8/2008/l...walkaround.html

I've owned mine since it was brand new. Probably longer than Edmunds has. Others may need pics, but I don't. It's parked in front of my office today ( and to think, I nearly drove the Jag ). The V8 weighs more than the V6 so there are some different part numbers to accomodate that, but that's it.

All this bickering about brakes - if there was something that was going to bug me under that front end - it would be the electric power steering .....

Here you go from the build sheet.
Model 1EW19-2014 Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle

9C1 Police Package
1SB Police car trim
KW7 High output generator (170 AMP)
K5S Battery, Auxiliary
GW8 Rear Axle, 2.92 Ratio
JL9 Anti-Lock Brake System, 4-Wheel Heavy Duty vented Disk front and rear
SG8 Full Size Spare
Bunch of other stuff.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Just got back from the dealer. Rear disc are vented. Shows it on the build sheet to. I will post a pic later. Took one. Already has a Borla the dealer installed it.

Now it is sounding better. Pun intended. If it has the vented rear discs then you might have a pursuit vehicle.

All this bickering about brakes - if there was something that was going to bug me under that front end - it would be the electric power steering .....

Steering was actually really nice. The Borla sounded very nice.

Yes, mine are VENTED on both ends, but not slotted on either end. That's what I meant by solid. Is there a car made in this century that does not use vented rotors?

My apologies for causing that confusion.

Last edited:
I think so. I have the loan check in hand. 4500 bucks for the Grand Prix.

My only hold up and this is trivial is no USB port or Aux port...at least that I can see. The radios give you the aux option. Car is TIGHT. Not one squeak or rattle. Sounds really nice when you hit the go pedal. Comes with original rims and tires. It has all the stuff installed to put lights and accessories on it but none have been installed.

Is there a car made in this century that does not use vented rotors?

My apologies for causing that confusion.

A lot. My 2015 Gen Coupe has solid rear rotors. The upgrade to "fake" Brembo converted it to vented but I saved the cash for a full upgrade after the warranty is over. Unless you are tracking or doing some serious braking, the vents only help with preventing fade/warping after repeated use... you don't stop better on the initial hard braking attempts... only the repeated hard braking attempts. That is why most pursuit/track fork demand it.

My MR2's rears are not only vented but larger in diameter than the front (I added the vented and slotted rotors and better pad compound later).

Last edited:
I know my 2004 VW used solid rear rotors (so '99.5 through 2005 or so).

[Not that it mattered to me, not since I got nearly 200k out of brakes on that thing.]

I think so. I have the loan check in hand. 4500 bucks for the Grand Prix.

My only hold up and this is trivial is no USB port or Aux port...at least that I can see. The radios give you the aux option. Car is TIGHT. Not one squeak or rattle. Sounds really nice when you hit the go pedal. Comes with original rims and tires. It has all the stuff installed to put lights and accessories on it but none have been installed.

[SALIVATES]
PICTUREEEEEES!
[lift jaw from the floor, still SALIVATES]

My 2015 Gen Coupe has solid rear rotors. The upgrade to "fake" Brembo converted it to vented but I saved the cash for a full upgrade after the warranty is over.

How's the baby seat working out?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
My 2015 Gen Coupe has solid rear rotors. The upgrade to "fake" Brembo converted it to vented but I saved the cash for a full upgrade after the warranty is over.

How's the baby seat working out?

Fantastic
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back