I think I found it this time. 2014 Caprice PPV 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, at one point in time from the very, very long ago - moving the MT shifter from the floor to the steering column was considered to be an upgrade as it was closer to where most drivers kept their hands.

I know why they have not sold this version... but that will have to wait. First...

Why do you want this vehicle? I will tell you that the outfitting will make it annoying (squeeks and rattles galore). Plus the console delete

I have a few police vehicles in my fleet. I can't give away my old Impala PPV. We have literally worn through floorboards. I think I have had to invest $19K in repairs and it is a 2010 with 65K miles. Biggest pieces of junk. Ford is the only way to go IMO.

Now, why it has not sold to a local agency: this is not the "real" version (aka the pursuit model). They make two types (and I am not talking about the V6 version) and I am willing to bet this is not the pursuit version or a local agency would have snagged it already. The pursuits have the tweaked throttle, transmissions and sometimes suspensions. The non-pursuit vehicles have the same "numbers" on the spec sheet mechanicals but are not outfitted for the chase. Looking at the brakes (those pursuit vehicles have monster kits on them), I am nearly 100% certain this is more of a "admins" or "college campus" vehicle that does the low-speed work. The good thing is that it would be more reliable but the pursuit vehicles will outrun it. Also, do not expect most of the reputable shops that do work on these vehicles to upgrade the components (like the brakes) to the pursuit kit. You normally have to have the fleet account for that. Then again, aftermarket big-brake kits are better for about the same price.

Also, I do not know if third-parties messed with the electrical but after some installs they can have issues.

Last edited:
Well as far as I can tell based off the VIN and Chevy's specs you get one set of brakes for all them. Plus the 6.0 in these is the 6.0 they all run the same tune as evidenced by every LS board where people have been modifying them.

2014 Caprice PPV

Too dumpy, would spend a few extra thousand for a equalivant 2014 charger r/t

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
They will remove the center wall. I have kids...I kind of like it.

but, but, but, what about the little ones?

and you still missing 2 REAL things:
-police wheels
-police light on driver's side

You do know what they are for , don't you? (insert BIG GRIN) can you say NO MO' Sleepy 3rd line?

Well as far as I can tell based off the VIN and Chevy's specs you get one set of brakes for all them. Plus the 6.0 in these is the 6.0 they all run the same tune as evidenced by every LS board where people have been modifying them.

2014 Caprice PPV

I would take a pic of the pursuit Impala but you can't see it under the steelies (actually, I would show you both the non-pursuit and the pursuit models). The front calipers are noticeably larger than the pic from the dealership. Chevy could have downsized them from my 2010... but I would lean towards them not doing that. I will even use the link you provided with V6/V8 specs. The V6 and V8 list the same brake package... that tells me it is not likely the pursuit variant. Edit: Just noticed that Chevy list solid rear brakes... nope.

As I said, there are little tweeks between the pursuit and non-pursuit models. All models have the same "mechanical" stats for the most part (or list them), it is just the way they tune/tweak it. I would be weary with folks claiming that they are "the same" because I have to fight that fight with every vehicle refresh I go through. I even use the "same specs" with some folks because sometimes I have to take the non-pursuit option now or wait with a broken vehicle. I wont trade a pursuit vehicle for a non, but if I am replacing a non-pursuit vehicle, then I am not going to wait for the pursuit to become available if it is 90-100% unusable. So, I have both versions in my fleet and the engine etc is the same but you know which version it is when you drive. That is the reason why it has not sold as even non-pursuit folks (serving officers, college folks), avoid the lesser option. You have a lot more aggressive throttle response and transmission. You have additional tweaks to the brakes to avoid fade (could be pad choice, rotor thickness, not as much experience with the newer chevy since we went with ford for our last four (Explorer/PIU PPV, Taurus/Interceptor, and Expedition SSV).

Last edited:
Caprice PPV

I like it, a lot. Hit all my criteria. 6.0 V8 RWD. Plus some other neat stuff. They can't sell it right now...recall.

Ok my car people...what say you?

Is it Holden built? If so, I say it's a steal and you should be all over it.

Wait too long and I might be ....
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

2014 Caprice PPV

I would take a pic of the pursuit Impala but you can't see it under the steelies (actually, I would show you both the non-pursuit and the pursuit models). The front calipers are noticeably larger than the pic from the dealership. Chevy could have downsized them from my 2010... but I would lean towards them not doing that. I will even use the link you provided with V6/V8 specs. The V6 and V8 list the same brake package... that tells me it is not likely the pursuit variant. Edit: Just noticed that Chevy list solid rear brakes... nope.

As I said, there are little tweeks between the pursuit and non-pursuit models. All models have the same "mechanical" stats for the most part (or list them), it is just the way they tune/tweak it. I would be weary with folks claiming that they are "the same" because I have to fight that fight with every vehicle refresh I go through. I even use the "same specs" with some folks because sometimes I have to take the non-pursuit option now or wait with a broken vehicle. I wont trade a pursuit vehicle for a non, but if I am replacing a non-pursuit vehicle, then I am not going to wait for the pursuit to become available if it is 90-100% unusable. So, I have both versions in my fleet and the engine etc is the same but you know which version it is when you drive. That is the reason why it has not sold as even non-pursuit folks (serving officers, college folks), avoid the lesser option. You have a lot more aggressive throttle response and transmission. You have additional tweaks to the brakes to avoid fade (could be pad choice, rotor thickness, not as much experience with the newer chevy since we went with ford for our last four (Explorer/PIU PPV, Taurus/Interceptor, and Expedition SSV).
It might be possible that only the Caprice had standard brakes, the Impala is a different car.

Future Doc, That is all great if I were buying an IMPALA.

This Caprice is a HOLDEN and shares nothing with the last or current Impala police car.

It is a G8 with 4 inches of extra wheel base. Big Brakes than the G8 and a Camaro SS ECM with a different tune.

Maybe it was supposed to be a detective's car. But that would still be overkill to have a 6.0 that won't be involved in pursuit. A little weird it hasn't sold but it's kind of a unicorn in some respects. See if they take a low price, give a small deposit to hold it because of the recall and see what happens. I think the G8s go for around $18k and are older. So kind of a deal compared to them and the SS.

We have a fleet of these at work (police department).

I have driven several of them.

Some comments for you.

You do not want to daily drive a car with a prisoner cage in the back. You can not recline the seat back far enough without hitting the cage, and visibility is poor.

This car looks like it seen some duty, some of the center console stuff is not how they come from the factory. I suspect it had radios and there are drill holes all over it.

Wheels are not factory, it should have steel wheels with center hub caps.

We had a nasty time putting computers and radios in these things they are very SMALL. Also there is a transmission tunnel hump which means mounting equipment right in front of the car's radio.

Cars run fine no real problems with them. I would not spend 20 grand on a used police vehicle but that is just me.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

I have driven several of them.

Some comments for you.

You do not want to daily drive a car with a prisoner cage in the back. You can not recline the seat back far enough without hitting the cage, and visibility is poor.

This car looks like it seen some duty, some of the center console stuff is not how they come from the factory. I suspect it had radios and there are drill holes all over it.

Wheels are not factory, it should have steel wheels with center hub caps.

We had a nasty time putting computers and radios in these things they are very SMALL. Also there is a transmission tunnel hump which means mounting equipment right in front of the car's radio.

Cars run fine no real problems with them. I would not spend 20 grand on a used police vehicle but that is just me.

Thanks Justin! Good info.
I went and drove it again tonight. No holes anywhere.
It seems to me and I don't know there are tons of options for the center console.
The dealer put the rims on but they have the originals.
The got the car with 5200 miles on it from GM. It was used a Demo car. The rest of the miles, well I will have to assume based off the paper work were put on at the dealership. Someone was always using it.
In Washington, they tell me...they have pull the center divider out but I can have it. I see them sell on Ebay for 300 to 400 bucks.
Hump won't bother me. I don't plan on putting in any equipment.

Well, I think it's a sweet and unique ride. I'd remove the divider, do something about those wheels (will some Camaro rims bolt on? Even the factory steelies would be better, IMO) and see if I could get a normal center console.

Otherwise I can't think of anything like this other than a SS or Charger SRT, and either one this new with only 12k miles on it would be twice the cost. (guessing off the top of my head)

Those are real nice, I would go for it. Over the years (they were sold to the public in the Mid East since 2000), these have certainly come a long way. The water pumps were a real issue on them, but I believe that's something that's already been addressed.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: JustinH
We had a nasty time putting computers and radios in these things they are very SMALL. Also there is a transmission tunnel hump which means mounting equipment right in front of the car's radio

Jeez, what are you trying to fit in there, Deep Blue or something?
smile.gif
Holden Commodore is pretty much the default police car in Australia, they have no problem fitting all the necessary gear in 'em...and that's with a floor mounted shifter and full centre console.

Future Doc, That is all great if I were buying an IMPALA.

This Caprice is a HOLDEN and shares nothing with the last or current Impala police car.

It is a G8 with 4 inches of extra wheel base. Big Brakes than the G8 and a Camaro SS ECM with a different tune.

It is not a G8 (cousin yes, but not a G8). I know that the G8 had vented rear brakes and this Caprice has solid rotors (read the description). Solids are fine for most road use.... just not when you are on a track/pursuit with heavy repeating braking needs.

So it shares nothing? No. It shares the same V6 option. Yes, it is a Zeta car... but it is the same GM parts bin. GM is not known for going out of its way to make new parts for different vehicles. So if you tear into the vehicle, I bet you would find a lot of overlap. This is GM and they are know for that. That is why the Pontiac Solstice shares parts with the Hummer H3. Heck the 6-speed was used with the Tahoe and Hummers too.

I have been on the LE vehicle side of the ordering process and know there are two "flavors" (not just the V8 vs V6) with these vehicles. As long as you are aware that you may not getting the exact same package as the "pursuit" variant, then enjoy the ride. Personally, I would not touch a "new" or specially an old police vehicle. The vehicles are not really designed for long-term public use and are built to a local/state pricepoint. Despite having no vehicles over 70K, vehicles get retired. HWP could get more 100-150K but it would have the same number of hours but they averaged higher speeds. The Crown Vics were the exception that proved the rule.

Last edited:
So your police force is running Zeta Platform Impalas?

I bet they are running W-body Impalas. Which is not a Caprice.

We are with D3 & D4 platform with some legacy W laying around and mostly broken. Looking to add a T1. I already told you what we have. I can point to both a pursuit rated D4 outside and a non-pursuit D4. On paper, the "spec' sheets are nearly identical (3.5T with 6F) unless you are looking for very specific items.

Just do not believe that you are getting a G8 or a pursuit vehicle. This is likely a "supervisors" vehicle without the pursuit tweaks/package. Has it donned on you why that vehicles has been unsold when other agencies already picked up the 8(?) others. Most LE avoid the non-pursuit option at nearly any cost, especially if they are paying out of their own funds compared to getting it through GA/Fleet.

I am all for you buying the car you want... as long as you know what you are getting. Just be aware that there are different types of LE vehicles and it is not just a V6 vs V8 or engine option differences. You may not be getting the full-fat version here. They are tweaked for LE use but may be tweaked in different ways.

Finally, don't feel bad when my 3.8 V6 walks away from from your 6.0 at the line and keep pulling away for the entire 1/4 mile.
wink.gif
They tend to run the 0-60 around 6 and a mid 14 1/4mile. The G8 would do low-mid 5s 0-60 and be under 14 for the 1/4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back