I Need a Bigger Vehicle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I have a very strong hate of lugbolts. That''s the driving factor there.
That might be the stupidest reason I have ever heard for someone to not buy a car. Almost as bad as a random CRV owner who just bought the car drove 50 miles and say his seat is uncomfortable and wishes he never bought it. Those CRVs have some nice seats for people who have never say in them.

I was in a Honda Pilot of an unknown year and those seats were amazingly and unexpectedly comfy. It felt like I was sitting on air. Are you saying CRV has the same seats, or is simply as comfy with the seats it has?

Grand Cherokee WJ or WK with 4.0 or 4.7

Honda CR-V

Honda Element with FWD or AWD

Honda Accord or Toyota Camry with a roof rack for kayaks

Only one large dog. Don't want any more!
Unfortunately, Flexes are too "new" for what I'm looking at. Never thought of minivans but will give them a look! . Vitaras / XL7 as long as it doesn't have the sideways 3.6 would be a good contender for sure. And Duratec 5 speed wagons are also an option - I have friends who live out of the rustbelt that I could find. I'm not sure if the 4 speed auto in those would hold up to towing, though.

Honestly, even a Versa would have the Interior volume I need. It's just that the Focus sedans are incredibly cramped inside.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
I’ll buy you your next vehicle if you can prove that you need a bigger vehicle to haul a small kayak and go camping a few times per year.

Camper and a kayak. It is a Ford Focus rated to tow nothing. And I tow the camper through the Adks and down to PA with it rather frequently.

Unfortunately, Flexes are too "new" for what I'm looking at. Never thought of minivans but will give them a look! . Vitaras / XL7 as long as it doesn't have the sideways 3.6 would be a good contender for sure. And Duratec 5 speed wagons are also an option - I have friends who live out of the rustbelt that I could find. I'm not sure if the 4 speed auto in those would hold up to towing, though.

Honestly, even a Versa would have the Interior volume I need. It's just that the Focus sedans are incredibly cramped inside.

I’ll buy you your next vehicle if you can prove that you need a bigger vehicle to haul a small kayak and go camping a few times per year.

Camper and a kayak. It is a Ford Focus rated to tow nothing. And I tow the camper through the Adks and down to PA with it rather frequently.

How frequently?

Why do you need a camper? Tents work just fine.

The only suzuki suv to go to a transverse engine was the XL7 2007 and later. The GV kept the N-S orientation right to the end in 2013. The GV's had the 2.7 or 3.2 V6 available until around 2009 and then went with only 2.4l 4cyl. Even the 4 banger is rated for 3000lbs towing though, but had issues with the heads cracking until 2011 but there's a recall. Some have full time AWD and others had hi-lo AWD with centre diff locking.
I kind of want one but its not as big as the CRV inside and the mileage isn't great, but if your Jeep is down for a weekend off roading, the GV isn't hopeless offroad like most CUV's.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: hemitruck
Older jeep liberty.

.. 2008 still running strong at 125k miles....

That's a pretty low bar, half the guys here think that's just getting broken in...

No need to be critical, that should be a selling point.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Focus wagon? Comfortable 2k towing is probably a bit of a stretch, but I've done 1200lb without a problem. The big trunk and roof racks you can reach are useful too. The CRV is handy as well with the rear window that opens, I put 12'+ boards on the dash and out the back if its only a few and I don't want to mess with bungies while standing on tires and door frames. The CRV will drag around 2k no problem, but the Focus will cost half as much to buy. Between my two, the drivetrains haven't had an issue, just suspension and brakes, and exhaust on the CRV. I like driving the Focus more and your existing snow tires will fit! Also its not too bad at autocross if you slap some decent summer rubber on it.
The 2wd little SUV's would be pretty cheap too, you can even get a manual 2wd Escape which I imagine would be nearly as cheap as a Focus.

A 2006 CR-V like IndyIan mentions is the last year of that 2nd generation and should be free of pretty much all problems (not that there were many) maybe except A/C. The PGM-FI K24 engines are bulletproof, the 5AT was solid by that point, and the vacuum-actuated RealTime AWD is both simple and dead reliable. Even as you get into the 3rd gen. the same powertrain remained in place so even those are a pretty safe bet within your general criteria.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
K24 in a CRV is gutless, not sure what it would do with a camper behind it in the hills.

Seems to have plenty of power for the ones I've ridden in. No complaints from the owners who are car guys.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
K24 in a CRV is gutless, not sure what it would do with a camper behind it in the hills.

Well 3rd gear at 4k rpm is about 60mph, which some people might not like for a minute at a time, but that will pull a trailer up almost any hwy grade at that speed. Any rpm below about 3200 is about the same for NVH so I just drive it and not look at the tach too much as the trans shifts pretty much un-noticeably until you get up near 4k as well.
It will move 2k lbs using some revs pretty well though, atleast in the east here near sea level.
We got ours given to us, and I think they are a bit overpriced, but I guess the simple reliable drivetrain is worth something, and I can't really fault the chassis or suspension tuning.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Ford Country Squire

LOL....Think bigger!

WgQznH7.jpg

Ideally , I'd be looking for a stock xj Cherokee with working ac and no rust. But those are stupid expensive.

I thought I would find one or two on the local CL for sure, but NOPE! XJ shopping is a nightmare. Down here, it turns out more than half of the ones for sale on CL are 2WD, and nearly all are modded and cut up or generally rough.

If you don't care about MPG, it's old Explorer time.
grin.gif
Unfortunately in your area, the supply is probably depleted due to rust.

If you keep the Focus, maybe look at an older Tahoe or Expedition that has been decently cared for? Big and thirsty, but if you keep the Focus that won't matter so much.

I'm surprised that the nice ones go for so much even down there. There's a few clean ones imported from the south in similar condition for about the same price. I have contacts outside of the rust belt in VA and NC so that can help a lot.

I was thinking of a transit connect wagon but the first US generation are pretty expensive still. If it's used it has to be under $5k.

I'm okay with gutless. Not sure I want a fullize, though.

This would be perfect
https://oneonta.craigslist.org/cto/d/2000-suzuki-grand-vitara-5pd/6305406240.html

I'm surprised that the nice ones go for so much even down there. There's a few clean ones imported from the south in similar condition for about the same price. I have contacts outside of the rust belt in VA and NC so that can help a lot.

I was thinking of a transit connect wagon but the first US generation are pretty expensive still. If it's used it has to be under $5k.

I'm okay with gutless. Not sure I want a fullize, though.

This would be perfect
https://oneonta.craigslist.org/cto/d/2000-suzuki-grand-vitara-5pd/6305406240.html

We almost bought one just like that when we got our Tracker. The 2.5 is nice match for that chassis. Check the front sub frame for rust as there was a recall on them, and the early ones like that had trouble with rocker rust. 03 and later were better. Also the vacuum operated 4wd can give problems, ours had a slow leak for the last 7-8 years but that little pump kept cycling for whole winters at a time.

I read that the Chevy Traverse with the 3.6 has the best MPG while towing 5000 lbs+. Find one that has had the timing system replaced and buy that cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back