I had to laugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw on TV the long lines of people waiting to buy the new iPhones. Some people had waited in line for days! I had to laugh. People waiting in lines for a cellphone!

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I saw on TV the long lines of people waiting to buy the new iPhones. Some people had waited in line for days! I had to laugh. People waiting in lines for a cellphone!

Wish that's all I had to do!

John

For something that is pretty much the same as what they have in their pocket already.

I'm going to buy some Apple stock. It amazes me that people have to have the brand new amazing whatchamacallit right away, whether it's a game system, computer, phone, car, or whatever. They could wait until their contract is up and get it at half the price.

Last edited:
I'm still using this;

3760-main-large-pantech-pg-c300.jpg

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I'm going to buy some Apple stock. It amazes me that people have to have the brand new amazing whatchamacallit right away, whether it's a game system, computer, phone, car, or whatever. They could wait until their contract is up and get it at half the price.

I bought some Apple stock when it was around $190 per share. Wish I had sold it when it topped at $704. Did sell a little over $500.

Originally Posted By: CurtisB
I'm surprised these folks can afford a new smart phone every year. With all that free time to wait in line, who's working to pay for it.

Well if it's anything like I've noticed, they have money for a new phone and cigarettes, but get their electricity disconnected and their new car repo'd...

Some of these people may someday wise up and get a life and realize there is something more important in life than having the latest and greatest cellphone from Apple (and that cellphone will be obsolete in about a year). But I suppose there will be others that you will always see waiting in the lines for the latest 'new thing.'

Apple is lucky their cellphones are still so much in demand. The last I heard their sales of iPads, Macs, and iPods have dropped big time. And their stock went from 700 to something like 300 until some billionaires propped their stock up for some reason. Apple stock used to be gold and now I doubt I would touch it.

Kind of strange the sales of iPads being down. Maybe the fad is dying out or else the groupees are looking for the next 'new thing.' Kind of hard to keep inventing new things.

Last edited:
I heard something about either the Windows tablet or the Windows phone selling big time in a couple of countries. I think one of those countries was Brazil.

Anyway, Microsoft needs to get their heads on straight also. They could have had an OS that would work on anything from a touch screen tablet to a desktop computer.

I do know one thing: There is no way I would spend something like $550.00 on a cellphone, which is essentially what an iPhone is. Sure it may have mapping and all kinds of other abilities. But for less money you can get that with other things.

And after one year these stand in line people are ready to dump their old iPhone and get another one. They have to have the next 'new thing.' They even have commercials on TV encouraging that kind of sick behavior. I would not be their lemming.

Last edited:
Quote:

I do know one thing: There is no way I would spend something like $550.00 on a cellphone, which is essentially what an iPhone is. Sure it may have mapping and all kinds of other abilities. But for less money you can get that with other things.

People do, so what does it matter?

I can't see myself spending 20K on a car. Is there something wrong with people who do? or with companies who target the above 20K market?

All in all it is about choices.

Last edited:
The only thing I am saying is that I can't see waiting in line (even days) to buy what is essentially a cell phone and I also can't see spending a lot of money on a cell phone. I realize this cell phone has mapping and a camera and all of that. But the only cell phone I had was free for the cell phone and the cost per month was reasonable. I use a quality digital camera for taking photos and I can get good maps on my desktop computer. And no matter how good iOS7 may or may not be it is not Mac OS X (or Windows 8 for that matter).

In the long run a corporation stays in business by offering quality products and services. I used Apple Computers for a long time and I have nothing against Apple, although as a corporation they have changed a lot over the years. I own an iMac now. I would like to see Apple update their software for Mac OS X, such as iWork, Aperture, and iLife. Without software an operating system, no matter how good, is essentially nothing.

Now I can run Lightroom 5 on my Mac but I can run Lightroom 5 on my Windows computer also. Without good software for Mac OS X there is little reason to own a desktop Apple Computer. I personally have no use for an expensive cell phone or tablet computers. If Apple wants to drop their desktop computers that is fine. But they will lose millions of customers. And competition in the mobile computing field is fierce so they better hope that they can compete there. Their sales of iPads, iPods, and Mac desktop computers have been dropping. Maybe Apple wants to be a cell phone company. That is fine, but they need to let us know so we can sell our Macs.

A company stays in business by offering quality products and services. Apple needs to decide what they are going to be. They can be a cell phone company if they want. But if they want to be a computer company they need to offer quality products and services there also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back