I forgot a simple step when changing rotors.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can always pull a pad in a month or so and see if its glazed..if so then just sand it lightly.

Nobody realizes when they drive in the rain how much oily water gets sprayed all over brake parts. Also at those hand wash car wash places wheels and tires get sprayed with silicone and gets on the rotors as well.

Give yourself a high five man..you are good to go.

The last set of premium rotors I got from AAP for my RX-8 came sealed and greased up pretty well to prevent rust. I hosed them down with brake cleaner and wiped off with a white paper towel (was Black afterward, not sure what that's from, considering the grease was yellow-ish and rotors looked clean. Must be fine metallic dust or something)

Even with careful installation, I still went over both sides of the rotor with more brake cleaner on a paper towel just before mounting the wheels, to insure a spotless mating surface for the pads to break in properly and EVENLY.

Expensive brake job ( rotors, performance pads, brake fluid + MY TIME ) = done with Ferrari style sanitary precision.
13.gif

What kind of solvent (I am assuming) would you use to clean rotors.

Again, I assume there'd be some kind of hearty coating for storage and incidental handling smears on 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back