HULU Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a free trial of it for a month and wasn't impressed at all. most programs were only available on the PC, not on my TV. I'd go the Netflix route if I were you.

When I had it, did not care for it at all. Ad's and limited shows, cant watch whole seasons only few episodes back. Try it out for a month and see how you like it..

We dropped our digital cable about 15 months ago and couldn't be happier to save a lot of dough. We have both Hulu and Netflix. I think Netflix is great, lots of variety and no ads. I'm growing tired of Hulu though, as pointed out above; lots of ads, limited shows or episodes.

I agree, try it out. You can cancel anytime. My wife likes it because of some of the new shows on there. I prefer Netflix personally.

We like it. In order to get a wide offering of new and old TV shows and movies, we have Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime. A bit of overkill perhaps, but each has offerings that the others do not. Netflix does not have new episodes as they are released and Amazon Prime does not have some of the shows that Hulu Plus does. For the computer only shows on Hulu Plus we hook up the laptop to the TV using an HDMI cable and it works pretty well. The ads on Hulu Plus are annoying as all get out, but commercial breaks are slightly shorter than on TV and everything is on demand.

Love Amazon Prime.
thumbsup2.gif

We got ride of our dish. We have a Roku player, a Xbox 360 and Apple TV. We were paying about $ 140 a month for dish. Now we are paying $ 16 bucks for Netflix and Hulu Plus, We also have Amazon Prime.

Originally Posted By: handyman
We got ride of our dish. We have a Roku player, a Xbox 360 and Apple TV. We were paying about $ 140 a month for dish. Now we are paying $ 16 bucks for Netflix and Hulu Plus, We also have Amazon Prime.

So Amazon Prime is free?

The streaming video is included when you pay $80 a year for 2-day shipping on most everything else. I consider video a bonus, especially since I had Prime before they bundled streaming video with it.

I wouldn't drop my Amazon Prime account if they split streaming video off into its own paid service, but I don't know whether I'd pay extra for the video on top of Prime. Netflix seems to suffice for us in most cases.

Originally Posted By: DragRace
Who has it and how do you like it? We're lookin to drop Direct TV ASAP,thanks!

Apple TV. Start there. We LOVE this...

Have you checked to see which networks you can get with an antenna? OTA signals look fantastic on modern Tvs, and there is no monthly fee.

Originally Posted By: yesthatsteve
The streaming video is included when you pay $80 a year for 2-day shipping on most everything else. I consider video a bonus, especially since I had Prime before they bundled streaming video with it.

I wouldn't drop my Amazon Prime account if they split streaming video off into its own paid service, but I don't know whether I'd pay extra for the video on top of Prime. Netflix seems to suffice for us in most cases.

That's how I view it too. I've had Amazon Prime for 4 or 5 years and just consider the IW as icing on the cake. If Amazon sold IW as a separate service, I doubt I'd subscribe. There's just too much overlap with Netflix. As it is, I mostly use it for renting/purchasing content that I'm too impatient to wait for.

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
Have you checked to see which networks you can get with an antenna? OTA signals look fantastic on modern Tvs, and there is no monthly fee.

My Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD pulls in over 40 channels OTA; I currently stream Netflix through an older Samsung BD-P1600, but I plan to replace it with an OPPO BDP-103D in a few months.
I don't see the need for any other service at this point

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy

My Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD pulls in over 40 channels OTA; I currently stream Netflix through an older Samsung BD-P1600, but I plan to replace it with an OPPO BDP-103D in a few months.
I don't see the need for any other service at this point

40 channels? Wow! Let me guess, you're in central KY and can pull in stations from Louisville, Lexington, and Cincinnati?

I have an antenna on my roof and can get reliably get about 5 or 6 stations.

Originally Posted By: kb01

40 channels? Wow! Let me guess, you're in central KY and can pull in stations from Louisville, Lexington, and Cincinnati?

I have an antenna on my roof and can get reliably get about 5 or 6 stations.

Pretty much; I'm using a roof-mounted antenna as well as a PCT drop amp/splitter.

We've downgraded Direct TV as far as we can now go.The cancellation fee was too high to pay right now,so we're gonna use HuluPlus along with it until the contract is up.

I have clearstream ota antenna with 30 channels running through every cable port in the house. my magnavox dvd recorder records the ota tv shows like bones, supernatural, mentalist, and nashville so we can catch up later. I have netflix too, my 1 yr old daughter watches alot of cartoons. wife tried hulu plus but it's limited selection, commercials, and they don't let you watch only five episodes back turned her off. we use our great library for free dvds and redbox free text codes monthly to get new movies. other than that, It's costing me 8 dollars and some change a month. there's way too much free entertainment out there to be stuck with a monthly fee for life.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
I agree, try it out. You can cancel anytime. My wife likes it because of some of the new shows on there. I prefer Netflix personally.

Exacty same situation here. We have all three, actually. Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime. Someone asked about Amazon Prime cost earlier; there is a cost for each of these three services. Netflix and Hulu Plus are both $7.99/month if I recall correctly, and Amazon Prime is billed annually at something like $70/year. You get some of the video content and free shipping on many Amazon purchases.

In our house, we watch Netflix the most by far. Lots of kids programming, lots of adult educational programming (shows like Top Gear, Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs, etc), and enough movies to keep us entertained. My wife likes Hulu because some of the shows she watches like Bones or NCIS or something are only on Hulu. Amazon Prime offers some free content, and some paid content. Amazon frustrates me; it seems that more stuff is for a fee than for free, even though I'm already a "subscriber".

I definitely recommend starting with Netflix. Hulu Plus certainly does have some unique and exclusive content, but you have to want to watch those shows for that one to be worth it in my opinion.

Even with all three services plus broadband via cable modem, we're all in at about $70/month inclusive of all taxes and fees, compared with closer to $200/month with cable/broadband/phone and taxes and fees.

Originally Posted By: Bryankkkk
When I had it, did not care for it at all. Ad's and limited shows, cant watch whole seasons only few episodes back. Try it out for a month and see how you like it..

This. More than anything, I HATED the interface. Cumbersome, and a pain in the [censored] to navigate. Rarely did they have full seasons. And the selection isn't much different from Netflix. Go Netflix for sure.

I REALLY wish Amazon would open up and get some rival content. Their free streaming content (with a Primse subscription) is negligible at best. Most of it is pay-per-view content, or per day, or whatever. They're trying to follow the Apple format, but with PC users (and PC users budgets). I'm curious what their actual usage rates are as compared to Netflix or even Hulu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back