Thinking of cutting cable and streaming....

My one concern is my wife and so watch a lot of TV. probably 8-12 hrs day of HD not 4 k. Wondering if 1.2 T of data is enough
At 30 days a billing cycle you’d be at roughly 720Gb-1,080gb of usage assuming 3gb per hour for 1080p streaming.

Not quite, the Eero supplies the signal from the Coax cable from the pole outside.
Connections are :
coax>cable modem>CAT6>Eero>wireless to cable box dongle
The Eero is a router. It is all over TCP/IP, so it is streaming video. It is all just packetized data.

Cut the cord around 2010 would never go back.
Current setups.
6 TVs and 6 Roku players
Subscription to Netflix and Hulu Basic.
I cant recommend more highly then what I think is the bargain of all things routers for power and distance throughout our home.
We own the router that is plugged into our Spectrum modem. The router is a Motorola MR 2600 (AC2600) 4x4 Smart Gigabit Router. (Motorola routers and modems are a Lenovo company) I cant recommend it enough at a cost of $100.
(If your one who is into custom configurations maybe you wouldnt be happy with the basic UI, its certainly sufficient though.)
I can say nothing at any price will beat the range in our 2 story 3000 sq ft home. No boasters needed, I do have it perfectly positioned in a center closet on the main floor and get full speeds throughout the house and also to 5 exterior wifi cameras as well as around 20 other devices including a Ooma phone that works throughout the house.

My daughter from another state shares her Paramount and HBO with us and we share our Netflix with her. But this is only recent before that when she belonged to prime she would also share that.
We have been fine with Netflix and Hulu plus tons of other streaming stuff through the Roku player. We rent Redbox once in a great while and stream premium Vudu movies once in a great while.

We also get about 30 free over the air TV stations which include all the majors (cbs, nbc, fox, abc ect) along with their sub channels and we also get local smaller stations too, through our attic antenna which distributes to 5 of the 6 TVs in the house.

We have unlimited phone data and use them as our compu

Sep internet service. We usually use our unlimited data on phones to surf the net.
Sounds good you are awt with an ISP. There is no such thing as unlimited cell data as they end up giving you a certain amount at high speed and then it’s too slow to stream video once you hit the cap of 20GB or 25GB or whatever.

We too had Netflix for years but ditched it recently, no or very little good content to watch. We do have fast Internet (150Mbps rated and 175Mbps average) with unlimited usage, basic TV channels, PVR rental and home security, all for C$148/mo after tax from ISP. We did add IPTV box and subscription which is about C$10/mo with over 1000 live channels (I think over 3000 but I watch under 10 and not daily) and tons of TV shows on demand as well as taking advantage of Amazon Prime Video (paid C$79/year last time). That's way more than enough for video content choices for us.

I might switch to T-Mobile home internet as it is unlimited data.

Also thinking YouTube TV as you can have up to 6 accounts and 3 devices streaming at a time. This means I could split the cost with a family member.

We too had Netflix for years but ditched it recently, no or very little good content to watch. We do have fast Internet (150Mbps rated and 175Mbps average) with unlimited usage, basic TV channels, PVR rental and home security, all for C$148/mo after tax from ISP. We did add IPTV box and subscription which is about C$10/mo with over 1000 live channels (I think over 3000 but I watch under 10 and not daily) and tons of TV shows on demand as well as taking advantage of Amazon Prime Video (paid C$79/year last time). That's way more than enough for video content choices for us.
We use Netflix a lot. Sharing it saves money

It's a good thing everyone is sharing Netflix with only people in their household. The days of sharing it with someone out of your household is going to come to an end eventually. If you need to share Netflix to get by financially you are doing something wrong.

It's a good thing everyone is sharing Netflix with only people in their household. The days of sharing it with someone out of your household is going to come to an end eventually. If you need to share Netflix to get by financially you are doing something wrong.
Well as Ben Franklin said, a penny saved is a penny earned.

If you put $15.49 into an S&P 500 index fund 10 years ago and did it every month for 10 years, you'd have about $3500.

People on here post about only being able to afford a 1-2k beater.

Every little bit helps right?

Well as Ben Franklin said, a penny saved is a penny earned.

If you put $15.49 into an S&P 500 index fund 10 years ago and did it every month for 10 years, you'd have about $3500.

People on here post about only being able to afford a 1-2k beater.

People who buy $2,000.00 beaters don't invest in the stock market.

I may or may not know someone who pays for Netflix, their parents pay for Disney+, and they share those accounts between each other… allegedly of course 😏

Though Disney doesn’t outright ban sharing an account.

Here's a good Spectrum story for you. My 79yr/old FIL stopped by our house on his way to the local Spectrum office the other day. They're paying just over $230/mo for TV, internet and home phone, with two premium add-ons. I went through the bill with him and circled what they can do away with to get the bill under $200/mo They don't want to scrap the TV, internet or land line unfortunately. The local office wouldn't help him. They told him he has to call 1-800-spectrum! I used to go in there to re-negotiate without a problem.

It's crazy really. These are people who've been paying Adelphia/Time Warner/Spectrum monthly for ~40 years.

People who buy $2,000.00 beaters don't invest in the stock market.
Yeah, people just don't know how to invest. There's no minimums and no monthly fees and you just have the expense ratio which for a Fidelity S&P 500 index fund (FXAIX) is only 0.015%. Means you pay $1.50 in expenses if you have 10k and for those poor souls that only have 2k, that works out to costing them 30 cents a year.

Reactions: JTK
Was thinking about doing the same thing. My cable bill was $160 a month with Direct TV. Talked to Direct TV about lowering the bill but they would not budge. Called Dish TV and was able to lower my bill to about $98.00 a month and only lost 2 channels. Saved $600 a year and only losing 2 channels I never really watched anyway. Had to agree to a two year commitment. Direct TV calls about 2 times a week now trying to get me to come back. Something you may want to look into.

Back