How to prevent EZ Pass transponder from being read?

Like if I have the transponder with me but I'm a passenger in somebody elses car so I don't want it to be read when going through a toll both. Keep it in my pocket? Down low by the floor?

I never stick mine to the windshield. I usually hold it up or put it on the dashboard against the windshield.

If it falls on the floor, or I leave it in the console, it won’t be read. The air gap and being in the center of the car seems to be enough. EZpass mails them in an anti static bag which I guess is good enough.

Why are you carrying the EZ Pass with you while you're not driving, in a car you don't own? Does the car you're riding in have its own tag? :unsure:

I've found that it doesn't usually read when I just put it in the cup holder. I imagine it in a luggage or under the seat, out of line of sight would be generally safe. Or aluminum foil.

I leave my pass in the little cubbyhole down by the gear lever, and never take it out when going through a toll, Sometimes it's read, other times not. No big deal as my plate is read and my account is debited regardless of the situation. So, from my experience, putting the transponder down low, or in the glove box, may or may not prevent it from being read. YMMV

Like if I have the transponder with me but I'm a passenger in somebody elses car so I don't want it to be read when going through a toll both. Keep it in my pocket? Down low by the floor?

They ship them in an anti-static bag, presumably to keep them from being read when it's in a mail truck.

Every morning when I'm loading my pants pockets on my way to work at 4:30 AM....
cell phone, check. Wallet, check. Pocket knife, check. Keys, check. E-Z Pass transponder, check. Wait, what?

Pocket knife. Wait, what? You plan on stabbing someone?
How else are you going to open those stubborn mini muffin packages from Aldi?

But yeah… made the mistake of forgetting to put it in the window once, it won’t read if it’s in the center console.

Back