Prepping car when taking it to the shop

I rarely go to a shop unless it is for a state inspection or something I don't have the time to do due a business obligation. If I do go to a shop anything of value gets taken out, I make a note of the miles on the vehicle and make sure they only have the keys to the vehicle. The house key comes off the key ring.
I keep my keys on a carabiner so it's easy to take off the car key.

Usually for inspections I just take a half day off from work and wait. Actually for most repairs I will do that. Easier than planning rides to/from the shop. Occasionally I'll drop off the night before, pick up the following night, but still, it's planning rides.

I keep my keys on a carabiner so it's easy to take off the car key.

Usually for inspections I just take a half day off from work and wait. Actually for most repairs I will do that. Easier than planning rides to/from the shop. Occasionally I'll drop off the night before, pick up the following night, but still, it's planning rides.
From 2006-2020 I got a free loaner (with my 2007 car). Today no. All those years I only used the dealer for a state inspection, $38. I guess one of those years they stole the tool kit so joke’s on me

I should clarify after 4 years, only state inspection, as first 4 yrs maintenance was included

From 2006-2020 I got a free loaner (with my 2007 car). Today no. All those years I only used the dealer for a state inspection, $38. I guess one of those years they stole the tool kit so joke’s on me

I should clarify after 4 years, only state inspection, as first 4 yrs maintenance was included
That's weird that a dealership would steal something, I certainly haven't had that issue.

I did use the dealer for a bit for inspections, too much of a pain. Once I got a laptop and could do some work from home, vastly easier to deal with a local shop. So our new (well 2 year old Camry) has not been back to the dealer once in 50k. I just do the service at home instead.

That's weird that a dealership would steal something, I certainly haven't had that issue.

I did use the dealer for a bit for inspections, too much of a pain. Once I got a laptop and could do some work from home, vastly easier to deal with a local shop. So our new (well 2 year old Camry) has not been back to the dealer once in 50k. I just do the service at home instead.
Maybe a tech borrowed it for another car, and didn’t put it back. It’s a long period of time so impossible to have any clue which dealer, it’s been to at least 6 from 2006-2020.

I work on my own cars. I don't care if you leave money or other stuff in your car, but please clean the gum out of your carpet and the crap out of your trunk and leave plenty gas to drive it around the block a few times, unless I'm doing a fuel pump. The only time people drop off their cars without the fuel light on is when I'm doing a fuel pump

-Clean the inside if it's dirty. I'm a smoker but I don't want anybody else to suffer with the smell.

-Take key off key chain.
yeah I usually wash the car the day before and vacuum it out and grab the old can of Copenhagen or two or three or four that are around the car. I always get compliments from the same senior technician that works in my car about how well I take care of it. it's a pride thing. he has places inside my engine bay which he marks with chalk so that he knows when he is done certain services. I feel embarrassed having somebody jump in my car and it not least look presentable

Shouldn’t it be the opposite…dealer cleans car when it’s in for service as a courtesy ….interesting
Honda in Kansas City washes all vehicles after service unless you tell him not to. I go to club car Wash and I have the premier service and usually put spray wax on so they know that it's as clean as it's going to be.

Radio OFF or on a non-offensive station(in the Bay Area, 96.5 KOIT/740 KCBS works) and no valuables. There’s an AirTag on my car keys anyway.

Seen everything from cash to drugs to guns to female appliances. The level of different cleans of cars is pretty amazing.

Some of the classics are like 40 empty cig packs mountained with 30 empty Mountain Dew or monster energy drink cans. All while there is a child seat stuffed by it. Poor kid

Seen everything from cash to drugs to guns to female appliances. The level of different cleans of cars is pretty amazing.

Some of the classics are like 40 empty cig packs mountained with 30 empty Mountain Dew or monster energy drink cans. All while there is a child seat stuffed by it. Poor kid
I've found guns, but nothing else too racey.. maybe some girly undies..

Lots of various forms of nastiness though. The worst are chick cars, followed by soccer mom cars/vans. There was one guy who wasn't all there - his car was filled with fast food/wrappers, newspapers and other assorted trash. Just enough room to sit. The worst I've seen was a gal with a Chevy Venture that stunk of rot and death. Full of these little flies and had this creepy, gross crust on the carpet 🤮

My customers trust me and it shows - they leave valuables all the time and even TEXT me pics of their credit cards for payment! And no, I don't ask them to. That info gets deleted once ran. I even had a girl who couldn't get there before I left tell me to get in her purse and make a check out for the repair.... Ummm no thanks, you're more than welcome to leave it in the key drop or mail it to me.

I never expected my customers to go overboard cleaning up before service. There were lots of cigarette smokers in those days so standards were pretty low. These days I'll clean out any loose trash if I have to take it in. It never occurred to me to make a note of the mileage or remove my registration. Nope, won't be doing that.

appliances??? Anyhow, I always tried to vacuum those cars ashtrays out and if we had time kinda clean it up. Sometimes getting a car started invites the owner to keep it going.

For me, it's usually a wash & vacuum, make sure the fuel is adequate for the work planned
Wheel lock key in the cupholder
If it's NYS inspection, walk around the car for 5 minutes checking for obvious failures
If it's going for an alignment, set fuel level and or trunk clutter to appropriate levels

I'm taking in a friend's Jetta for a recall, that I know requires console/dash/wheel removal, so I prepped the interior accordingly
All teen girl nonsense and clutter is in a box in the trunk, wash and vacuum to remove cat hair, basically sterilize the interior of obstructions for the poor flat rate SOB that's gotta do the job

Back