How to Clean Car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of the odor gets into the headliner so that has to dealt with. With cars a lot of the stink also gets into the trunk, so that area has to be treated as well. Esp with smoke smell.

When I worked at a car dealer, Which is about the best cleaning you can get for a used car to be resold. People that had nasty dogs in the car, they were never able to really clean that vehicle SMELL totally.

Remove the seats and carpet-- that's your best answer.

If you don't do that, go to dollar tree and get their quart jug of "amazing orange" multi purpose cleaner and a bucket. Mix up a couple gallons of water/orange and dump that on your floorpans. Rub it over and over with a nylon brush, get it up on the sides of the pan. Let it sit for an hour then vacuum it dry. It won't be dry, so wait a day and vacuum it again. Then let it bake in the sun.

Dog funk is water soluble, so it takes water to get it out.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

I would have brought it to a detail shop so they could have done it all.

And charged a fortune for their effort.

Nope. They are pretty cheap. Even if they were not exactly cheap, the truck is free.

I will take your word for what it costs down in TX but my neighbor has a detail shop and he chuckled at your post. According to him, detailers are like every other business owner and are not in the habit of doing extra work for free.

I guess it depends on the region and the type of shop.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
When I worked at a car dealer, Which is about the best cleaning you can get for a used car to be resold. People that had nasty dogs in the car, they were never able to really clean that vehicle SMELL totally.

The best thing to get rid of dog smell is to smoke cigars in the vehicle. Within a few days the dog smell won't be noticeable.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Remove the seats and clean with fabric cleaner, remove the carpet and wash them while out of the vehicle. The carpet, soak it with water and some purple power degreaser, take a bristle brush to it then rinse well. U won't believe how much nasty comes out of the carpet. Then do it again w your favorite cleaner, like simple green, mr clean, carpet cleaner detergent or even laundry detergent. Rinse and let it dry in the sun as the UV rays help eliminate germs, smells, etc. I have 3 dogs and I have used the above method and it works perfect. While its drying, remove the center console. take a brush / sponge / rag with ur favorite cleaner ang go at it on the dash, console, all interior including the ceiling and floor of the cab. Wipe clean and apply a protectant (aerospace 303 is good). I use regular glass cleaner on the insides of the windows and windshield. Reinstall everything and the interior should good to go

This works ^^^^

+1 on the UV.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
As for the smell, I have no personal experience with, but have heard great things about ozone generators.

I haven't either, not directly at least. But a friend took his car in after a family of mice died in the headliner and they used an ozone generator on that car. It took care of the problem at a cost that was a lot less than a new $900 headliner.

Laundry detergent in warm water with a soft bristle brush really works well on plastics, vinyl, fabric seats and carpet.

Got my wife a trade in special for a good price last year, on a clearance yard because it just reeked of dog stink. We gutted the interior, shampooed, vacuumed, repeat, and repeat...carpets, seats, hood lining. Also found it was dog hair that stinks, so employed the granddaughter and a pair of tweezers to get the most obvious ones out. All good now, you'd never know it was a dog kennel in a previous life.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
My free Dodge Ram was previously owned by a contractor with a dog. And, I don't have working AC nor heater nor even a way to turn on the blower motor because the control panel isn't attached. So, how do I clean it? .

Get a quote upfront.

This is a free truck. Beggars can't be choosers, and so one can live with it as part of the deal, waste a ton of elbow grease with marginal effect, or spend a little money and get it done right.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
My free Dodge Ram was previously owned by a contractor with a dog. And, I don't have working AC nor heater nor even a way to turn on the blower motor because the control panel isn't attached. So, how do I clean it? .

Get a quote upfront.

This is a free truck. Beggars can't be choosers, and so one can live with it as part of the deal, waste a ton of elbow grease with marginal effect, or spend a little money and get it done right.

What? That's funny.

When I want something done right then I do it myself.
It sounds like your detailing skills are not that good so in your case it would make sense to spend the money and have a shop do it.
I don't know the OP but using some of the advice offered here it's completely possible for him to clean up his own truck.

It's interesting that BITOG is a place where everyone changes their own oil and gripes about grease monkeys always screwing up oil changes YET several posters suggest the opposite when it comes to detailing.

I will take your word for what it costs down in TX but my neighbor has a detail shop and he chuckled at your post. According to him, detailers are like every other business owner and are not in the habit of doing extra work for free.

You are probably right. Its probably regional. A normal detailing here is $100-$150. Excessive dirt may cost $200. Considering the amount of time spent and cost of cleaning materials, its an easy choice, at least here.

You are probably right. Its probably regional. A normal detailing here is $100-$150. Excessive dirt may cost $200. Considering the amount of time spent and cost of cleaning materials, its an easy choice, at least here.

Well I think I see the problem.

I am just a cheap SOB who cringes at spending that kind of money.
grin.gif

Forget the steamer, you need the carpets extracted w/ a hot water carpet extractor and then run an ozone machine through the vehicle. But then again, that costs money. Trying to do this on the cheap is possible with LOTS of sweat equity and removing seats, carpet etc. Odor removal can be a royal pain and anyone tries to tell you there is some magic product you can spray on the odor and it will magically smell like roses is ill informed.

...I spent a lot of time yesterday vacuuming it with a Harbor Freight shop vac and wiping down the dash and doors and stuff with Tuff-Stuff and shop rags.

It looks quite a bit better but it still smells like dog and dirt. Fabreze and some random air freshener aren't really helping, and all the surfaces (while much cleaner looking now) still are not as clean as they could, and I haven't done anything to the cloth seats but vacuum them.

What else do I do? Should I get the Tuff-Stuff with a brush to clean the hard surfaces more thoroughly? What do I do about the seats?

Any advice appreciated.
If you're not pleased with your cleaning effort using TuffStuff, I'd redo with a bucket of hot water with some laundry detergent mixed in. Be sure it's slippery. Scrub with a small brush with medium bristles.

Wash the floor mats in the clothes washer w/ detergent and a bit of bleach or soak them in a bathtub filled with enough water to cover first, then wash in the washer.

Your still going to need to have both the cloth seats & carpet cleaned with steam by a pro. You may try the laundry detergent solution & a brush to work it in, then suck it off with a shop vac. Rinse & repeat as needed.

If the headliner is cloth, spray it lightly with something like lysol as you can't really scrub it.

Another idea is to pay someone to ozone the interior as a final step.

Good find on a FREE truck!

Originally Posted By: John_VT
Odoban I use it when cleaning carpets comes in different sents

odoban is heaven sent. I use it all the time in my vehicles and my house. It can clean, disinfect and deodorize with ease. I would pour 5 ounces in a 3 gallon bucket of hot water. Soak some towels or a good scrub brush and scrub everything from the carpet, seats, doors etc. Everything but the glass. Give it a dry off for non carpet and vacuum the carpet/seats. Open the windows and let it air dry. If that doesn't do it then I would go the professional route (or see where you can rent an ozone cleaner) but bar none the best cleaner I have used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back