Cleaning auto carpets ...

I have a Rug Doctor portable shampooer that I use in the cars. Works great. My only complaint is the hose is a little short but I think that's just the way it is. Also the head nozzle is big and hard to get into small places.

If it died I'd replace it with a Bissell Little Green or Bissell SpotClean.

Reactions: GON
I use a small Bissell Spot Clean Pro model for auto upholstery, but it doesn't hold a candle to pre-treating highly stained carpets with Folex and scrubbing with Oxy-Clean dissolved in water. A high performance wet-dry vac will have significantly more suction than any portable extractor (including my Mytee commercial carpet extractor). I recommend any of the RIDGID 6.0 Peak HP models available at Home Depot:

View attachment 161022

Question about diluting oxy-clean. What ratio do you use? I'm thinking about using a Bissell Pro Heat with "something" but not sure what that something is yet. Currently I got Blue Coral's foam spray with a brush but I might need something else for the tougher stain or the carpet that I can remove.

Question about diluting oxy-clean. What ratio do you use? I'm thinking about using a Bissell Pro Heat with "something" but not sure what that something is yet. Currently I got Blue Coral's foam spray with a brush but I might need something else for the tougher stain or the carpet that I can remove.

I mix it according to the instructions on the container for carpets. The Oxi-Clean comes with a small measuring scoop and the ratio is 1/8 of a scoop to 1 pint of water. I am estimating 1/8 of that scoop is approximately 2 tablespoons.

I’ve just been using using Turtle brand Oxy carpet cleaner foam in a can, and a bucket of water with a rag.

From the Detail Geek videos I certainly can see the advantage of adding a copious amount of water to the foam, using the rotary drill pad, and using a vacuum to extract the dirty water.

... maybe a spray bottle of cleaner and water, brush, and super suck vacuum at car wash beats portable carpet cleaning machine?

I have about a half dozen car carpets I need to deeply clean. Earlier this morning I searched Amazon for different portable carpet cleaning machines, and looking at the reviews in depth, all had like complaints about the portable machines. Hose to short, suction not so good, suction head to large for automotive carpet cleaning, etc.

Came to think, why not just buy cleaner in bulk and put in a spray bottle, have distilled water in a spray bottle, various scrub brushes, and do the carpet cleaning at a car wash that offers free vacuum with wash purchase? Some of these places have monster suction vacuums, designed for auto carpet maneuvering. Might be able to remove dirty water better with the car wash vacuums than portable carpet cleaners?
The auto vacuums at car washes aren't for sucking up liquids from my understanding.

Back