How to clean gas stain off car paint?

I noticed gas stain on Camry.

I tried wiping with soap, paint cleaner (Klasse AIO) but was unsuccessful.

Before washing/cleaning the area

After trying to clean with Klasse AIO

I have been searching the web for solutions. Some has suggested claybar/polish, even Goo Gone. Goo Gone user was the only one that reported cleaning the stain, but I am little hesitant to use it on paint.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Clay bar and polish would be my go to. I would start with a medium polish like Maguire's ultimate compound and step up to M105 if that didn't cut it.

Wife came home with entire hood of her pretty white car covered in tree sap. Yeah, she parked under a big shrub in the hot summer time
that was dropping leaves and sap like crazy. I went and bought some expensive "professional detail" paint cleaner. Did nothing. Then I read on a web site - WD40 to remove it. Sure enough. Soon as I sprayed it on, the tree sap stains were just rolling off almost before I could even get a towel on it. Works like magic and did nothing to the paint finish. I did wash and wax after.

Last edited:
33 years of pumping my own gas and I never got a drop of gas on my car. You’re doing something wrong.

Like dissolves like, so I'd wipe it down with gasoline, lacquer thinner, or carb cleaner. Wet the cloth but not to the point the rag is soaked, and wipe it down. If the paint gets sticky, stop. Modern OE paint and even refinish paint is pretty durable.

Back