How much oil is spilled in Walmart Parking Lots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Lots of lower income folks can't afford the repairs of old beater vehicles.

Right!

According to the AAA, 2/3 of vehicle owners can't afford the/any repairs on their vehicles.

But, they can afford cigarettes, beer/liquor, illegal drugs and IPhone 10 etc.

you forgot Meth, and marijuana

Speaking of oil,,I calleed Walmart here in Chattanooga and their oil change and a filter is 19.99..Its not listed on the wall, but it is available..They dont check anything else,,just oil level..

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
I'm always amazed at the puddles of motor oil in parking lots (just picking on Walmart for fun). Sometimes it looks like someone's oil pan dumped it's contents. I'm amazed that those cars can even make it home. If you added up all the volume it's probably somewhere close to the Valdez spill.

A drop every three feet along the highway, or what's distributed in a carpark has huge access to oxygen and sunlight, and is therefore quite benign...collect it all and tip it on a lake, and it's a VERY different thing.

Seeing as this has piqued your curiosity, next time driving on a highway, look at the dark oily patch after a long time bump in the road (like a concrete joint)...the drops that are on the sump/subframe are knocked off by the impact, and form a dark spot locally to the bump (and naturally, the concentration of drops for some time down the road will be lower.

Also, what happens to your tyres as they wear...and the car next to you...and the one next to that.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Yes....all cars belonging to poor, middle class, and wealthy CAN leak oil. But it's not a stereotype to understand why Walmart lots are often the nastiest in this regard. Just a look inside the store at the patrons can tell you volumes about the habits of such people.

According to Walmart, 140 million of the country's 324 million population shop at Walmart.

So when you say "look inside the store at the patrons", what percentage of them are you referring to?

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Yes....all cars belonging to poor, middle class, and wealthy CAN leak oil. But it's not a stereotype to understand why Walmart lots are often the nastiest in this regard. Just a look inside the store at the patrons can tell you volumes about the habits of such people.

According to Walmart, 140 million of the country's 324 million population shop at Walmart.

So when you say "look inside the store at the patrons", what percentage of them are you referring to?

I'd be very curious as to how Walmart arrived at that number.
Sounds a little flakey to me.
Also, what counts as shopping Walmart?
Sunday, we made a rare stop at a Walmart location in search of either old label Synpower or PP HM, both in the 0W-20 grade fro the clearance price of $11-12 some have found.
Both oils scanned at regular price, so we walked out buying nothing.
I guess we did shop at Walmart, though.
Other than motor oil and other common goods on at least half off clearance, we haven't bought anything at a Walmart in years, and that would also probably be true for most in our income bracket, except the motor oil wouldn't excite most, since few folks at any income level change it themselves.

Walmart has gotten way too expensive on groceries. Was in there today to buy some fruit on the way home from my dental checkup and cleaning. $4 for strawberries,$3 for blackberries. I left and went to HEB. The same exact brand and package strawberries were $1.99. The same blackberries were $1.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

If you haven't been to most Walmart locations and seen the difference between the patrons of other, more upscale stores....then what can I tell you? You seem to feel that Walmart caters to the same economic-social strata as any other retailer. You'd be wrong, but then I can see that you don't agree. I will say that in SOME areas (very few in my experience), certain Walmart stores have a more "normal" set of customers. Still, it's hard to believe that you don't (or aren't willing to) distinguish a typical Walmart shopper vs. other stores. Even many of it's employees seem like they crawled in from a homeless shelter. But I guess that's a good thing.

$0.99 flipflops, what's bad about that...?

These hybrids that I fabricated were $3 in total, complete with glue. In disassembly, I identified that the plug locations were reinforced with a harder plastic. A bit high end, eh ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back