How much fuel economy difference 5-20 vs 5-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the results of standardised testing in a lab. Will have to do the comparative review, as it's all against a standard reference oil.

Here's my "meticulous" nearly always at the same fuel pump (had a fuel card) for the start of life of my old Nissan Turbodiesel (2003 Navara ZD30 engine).

I gave up...tank to tank variation made the Oil change to Oil change variation impossible to compare.

I saw a paper referenced here by Nissan engineers that they expected a .5% benefit. Expected.

I've run heavier oils in vehicles before, and didn't notice a change in mpg on the highway. Where I DID notice a slight hit was in all-city driving. YMMV

Alot depends on the vehicle as well. If you've got a short geared manual transmission and run near 3k rpm on the highway all the time, oil weight will certainly make a difference in engine losses.
If you've got a new automatic or CVT and are running 1700rpm often on the highway then differences in oil weight don't matter as much.
Also short trips vs long trips where the oil is run alot below 160F would make oil weight a bigger factor.

Quote:

Here's the results of standardised testing in a lab. Will have to do the comparative review, as it's all against a standard reference oil.

full-688-23315-feviscosity_1.jpg

You might want to be careful with a comparitive review of statistical data. While somewhat useful from a pedestrian perspective, I doubt we would want to place any money on the conclusion.

Here's an interesting reason why comparitive reviews should be approached with a skeptical eye.

Last edited:
For a car that has over 100k miles, I should not be an issue. In fact I would switch to HM before changing viscosity. On newer cars, I would stick to spec'd rating for the sake of Bearing viscous, cold start flow rate.

I agree with CaspianM, I doubt the fuel efficiency loss would be measurable. If your manual specifies to use 5w20, use that. If you're worried about the engine aging, switch to a 5w20 high mileage oil.

I used to think the rav 4 was a rattle trap, then I tried some PUP 5w30, and that thing was butter smooth. Turns out it isn't a rattle trap, it is just that 5w20 left my internals knocking around. Don't believe me, try it, lol. Enjoy that .0000000000000001 mpg you get from 5w20.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky

Like many things on here, you'll have blanket answers as gospel and people parroting the blanket answers. The reality for me is that it can depend on the application...and especially if it's a 4 cylinder....

My take is that you can potentially be getting 1-2 more MPG in the right circumstance but it probably wouldn't be acknowledged here.

No, some here are of the "Well that's what 'I' think, so it must be right" persuasion. You can't compare an under-powered Saturn to Hemi powered Ram. You aren't going to get the same results.

The way the price of regular unleaded fluctuates around here, I sure wouldn't worry about the difference in mileage between the oils!

When I had my 2008 CR-V, I kept a spreadsheet of fuel consumption and mileage for a year with 5W-20, and another year with 5W-30. Results were inconclusive. There was too much variation from other variables to make any determination that there was any significant effect from the weight. I recall the year average was a tiny bit higher for 5W-30, and my best-ever 1-tank economy of 32 MPG was achieved with 5W-30. Go figure, but not too shabby for a car with a window sticker that said 27 highway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Imp4
Quote:

full-688-23315-feviscosity_1.jpg

You might want to be careful with a comparitive review of statistical data. While somewhat useful from a pedestrian perspective, I doubt we would want to place any money on the conclusion.

the chart was from the SAE, looking at the economy testing standards...in a standardised test.

I was making no statement of effect, nor implying anything other than statistically there will be an economy change.

Then posted my real world results that you can't measure anything on the road due to noise.

Quote:
I was making no statement of effect, nor implying anything other than statistically there will be an economy change.

Are you sure? Because you also said
Quote:

It is the comparative review comment that raised my interest.
Are you saying that you would compare the 5w30 listed versus the test standard (15w40) and then also compare a 5w20 versus the test standard (15w40, obviously getting that data from a different source or reference because it's not shown here), and then draw a conclusion about 5w30 vs 5w20?
Can you please clarify if this is the case?

If you were to do so, you may be correct, but you may also not be accounting for a non-transitive probabilistic comparison effect and therefore drawing an incorrect conclusion.

With respect to your statement that real world results couldn't be measured on the road due to overwhelming noise due to uncontrolled variable factors, we are in complete agreement.

Looking forward to your response.

My point, (and it appears that I didn't make it) properly is that all the standardised testing that goes into CAFE, oil selection and the like produces measurable results in the standardised test.

CAFE claim something like 0.5-1.0% for 20 grades versus (ILSAC) 30s...they measure it, it's there.

But in real world, with my trick, 10-15% real world noise made it all moot.

The last OCI(Nov'17-Apr'18) of 5W20 in my car was kind'a noisy. Since I changed back to 5W30, it has quieted down considerably. Both are synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Mar57
Owners manual calls for 5W-20 which I have been using. Car now has 106,xxx miles and I'm thinking of switching to 5W-30.
It's a 4 cyl. engine which delivers very good gas mileage. What do you think the mileage difference will be if I go with the 5W-30? 5W-20 is syn. and the 5W-30 would also be syn.

The difference will be immeasurable to you. You will not be able to measure the difference.

Even in the chart posted in this thread, shows only .5 (5/10s of a mile difference)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back