How many of you recycle your old oil filters, cabin air filters and air filters?

I have a couple years worth of oil filters laying around I need to take to be properly disposed of, I just throw air filters in the trash.

Our county has a program where you can turn in oil filters at AutoZone (select day) and get a $15 voucher for a new oil filter(s). Rotate 12 AZ locations throughout the year. A few AZ are near enough to each other so that you can get a few vouchers per year without driving far...

A company here takes in electronics, old paint, oil filters. Contract with the county.
I put my oil filters in a bucket. Every couple of years I take them the full bucket.

Since I’m out in the country, I burn lost old used oil filters and air filters. Then my scrap friend comes by whenever for the metal pieces.

I was south of Pittsburgh back in April of this year and it seems some people up there burn stuff and it sure smelled bad!

Oil filters go to Advance Auto when I dump my oil. Air and cabin filters get trashed. I do have a K&N cabin filter in one vehicle and going to get another for my other vehicle. I take it out once a year, clean and put back in.

Used oil filters go to the local parts store with the used oil, but into different bins of course. Used engine air and cabin air filters go into my recyclables bin at home. Not sure if it helps, but if I'm questioning if something is recyclable I just throw it in and let them sort it at the facility.

I was south of Pittsburgh back in April of this year and it seems some people up there burn stuff and it sure smelled bad!
In Pennsylvania burning regulation vary by the county you live in. I live in a county that outlaws burning but the county line one mile aways allows outdoor burning. I'm so glad the air pollution from that burning does not cross those county lines!!! :unsure::mad:

We have to drill holes in them. $1000 fine per undrilled filter.
Yup, they go through our trash. Another dealer got fined $150K from the state because they had papers in the trash with customer's names and addresses on them. Everything must be in a secure container until the shred company comes.

If I wanted to be real lazy, I’d take my used filters to work and just crush em’ in our filter crusher.

County has recycle bins for the oil filters at "Convenience Centers". Paper air and cabin filters go in the regular recyle bin. They probably all end up in the land fill, but we feel good for doing our part.

Back