How many here keep maintenance logs and how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Do you log date, mileage, service and also specific brand or where bought?

Yup. In an Excel spreadsheet with separate tabs for each vehicle or piece of equipment.

Same here

Mazda has an On-line Maintenance logs for their customers. You at the task you do and date it with mileage and Mazda dealer adds whatever they do doing any visits. Ed

Excel file. Date, mileage, work done, detailed parts used. I even have a cool, nifty graph for mileage over time.

By far the best tool to track maintenance/gas/receipts that I’ve found is:

https://autosist.com

You do have to pay at a certain point once you reach so many photo’s etc. but it’s only $20/yr. The best feature is the ability to generate reports that look fantastic.

I seriously recommend everyone give it a try. The UI needs some work, especially the iOS version but they have a major upgrade in the pipeline.

Last edited:
Notebook in the house for each car, entry for each repair/oil change/service and receipts/repair orders stuck into the notebook.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
These records help increase resale when selling the vehicle as well.

Exactly; I have a reputation about being OCD regarding maintenance; I have several people who have asked to be called and give them the first shot if I'm selling one of my cars.

Yep = dealer tried to ding me $500 trade for lack of PM records.
Said nothing due and I change the oil and air filters etc ...
Short debate over my picture method ended in my favor.

My father's method was writing the odometer reading in pencil on the top of the engine after each oil change. The "head" method doesn't work so well, unless your memory is infallible.

For me:
1. Paper logbook in car, with odometer reading and date of each fuel purchase, repair, and maintenance item. Shows quantity and price of fuel, name and brand (but not price) of parts and fluids. Did this for every vehicle I've owned, from the beginning of time.

2. Spreadsheet of repairs and maintenance. (Based on #1 above, with a little additional info.)

3. Spreadsheet of fuel purchases, including running average mpg and ratio of actual mpg to that claimed by dash display.

4? I started logging maintenance in ToyotaOwners.com, but have about quit, because it's very time consuming, will not be visible to any future owner, and ---strangely--- is apparently not visible to the dealer service people either, so it seems a pointless waste of time.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Do you use a spreadsheet program, dedicated maintenance program, manufacturer log, note book etc?

Do you log date, mileage, service and also specific brand or where bought?

I made my own log and include the above.

I use a small spiral notebook for each car, I log all the same data as well- I also keep a receipt file for each car.

This is my approach.
I can tell you the fuel economy tank by tank of any car we've owned and it's also nice to be able to track maintenance and repairs over time.
A spreadsheet on the PC seems like more trouble than pen and paper in the car.
I use the back of gas receipts as scratch paper to calculate fuel mileage for each tank, keeping alive the dying art of arithmetic without a calculator or formula cell.

Many years ago it was a notebook, now it's my word processor. I put down everything other than washing but I do include waxing.

I am amazed at all the people that constantly and faithfully log gas and mpg.
I have every single fill up recorded for all of my cars, I just use the Fuelly app. Works perfect, while it's pumping I type in odometer and gas price, then gallons. It does all the math.

You can also put in maintenance stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back