How many here keep maintenance logs and how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the Fuelly app. It keeps track of most stuff. I also keep a small notebook in each vehicle of what I do it it and when with cost.

I have a file cabinet that I keep all important documents in (house documents, insurance documents, medical documents, etc). I keep vehicle records in there too. Each vehicle gets its own folder. In the folder is all receipts for parts bought. In the folder is also a sheet of paper that has all maintenance and repairs I do to the vehicle. I write down the date, mileage, what I did, and part numbers for the parts I installed. When the sheet gets filled up, I start a new sheet. I also have a separate sheet just for recording oil changes.

I also do this for all my lawn equipment.

I have a Manila folder for each car and usually write down on the back of it when I do something. I haven't put the last couple tire rotations or the last oil change for the Sonata on there yet. Luckily it's pretty new and hasn't needed any work.

The Jeep I'm really slacking on. I never keep records for all the work I've done to it. All in my head

I keep a small notebook in the truck and log maintenance as I do it. When a page fills up I transfer the data to my spreadsheet.

Noted are date, miles, service and next due date/miles for that service.

I tried the electronic route, but found myself not using it because it involves relaying information into the computer after the fact.

In my car, I have a spiral book that I keep everything written down into, fuel, oil checks, services etc and it gets maintained because it's being recorded immediately. I do have a spreadsheet that calculates running fuel economy and that gets updated every couple of weeks. Been recording for two years now with a two year average fuel economy of 33.4mpg.

Use Google sheets spreadsheet.

Separate tabs for each vehicle, mowers and snow blower.

Also store after parts numbers and info like VIN, wiper sizes, tire sizes, etc.

Stored in Google's cloud.

Accessible on my phone or laptop.

I keep a service log on mysubaru.com, I know it's not the smartest way to do it but it is very convenient.
It was really handy when I used to go to a dealer for service because their work would appear on the log automatically, but this is not as much of an advantage now that I only go to dealers (reluctantly) for major intervals like 60kmiles.
They already lost my data once but somehow managed to recover it...I know that they could just drop the app and/or lose my data for good, but that hasn't been enough to motivate me to try some other kind of log.

Fuel used by the fleet is tracked in Fuelly.

Hyundai and Chevrolet have an online portal that tracks maintenance so the Sonata and Cobalt are done that way.

The Ranger and Dakota are basically tracked via the oil change reminder stickers from Advanced/Autozone/etc. They're so far out of warranty that even if I tracked things in detail, it wouldn't matter.

I print out a maintenance/log Excel spreadsheet and write down date, mileage and what I did. If changing oil then brand, type (HM or not) brand and oil filter. I also note when the next change is 5,000 miles later.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I use the notes section in the back of my owners manual.

I use the specific Maintenance book that Honda gives for my vehicles. Write down the mileage, the date, and the service/fix performed.

You would think I would. I work in pharmaceuticals and audit labs and manufacturing to assure they are logging all maintenance in logbooks and "write them up" if the logbooks are deficient. I keep track of oil and coolant changes on a small piece of paper clipped to my fridge. Other things are changed on an as-needed basis so I don't keep track of them. Spark plugs are every 100k miles so that's easy to track.

Fillups get tracked via Fuelly app on our phones (both log into the same account). Each vehicle gets its own Google Sheet spreadsheet with one tab for maintenance, another tab (now unused) for tracking fill-ups, shared among all drivers.

CarFax app for the iPhone. Really cool app and easy to track any maintenance done

Originally Posted By: MCompact

I use a small spiral notebook for each car, I log all the same data as well- I also keep a receipt file for each car.

Yup, my method is very similar.

In the note section of the owners manual. It seems to impress the buyers of my old vehicles.

MySubaru.com ... has a section for maintenance and service entries. Anytime dealer does work there's an entry, and I can login and make entries for DIY maintenance right in the same list where dealer work shows.

Used "export to Excel" at top of webpage, keep a copy on my phone:

Carfax app for maintenance. It's free and easy to use. If your vin is put in at pepboys or the dealer it automatically shows what they did and when. You can edit the logs at any time and it tells you the value of your car. Fuelly gas tracker app for gas because of convenience as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back