How long will the olm let it go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Originally Posted By: csandste
It's pretty intelligent and I'd trust it. Miss the OLM in switching from a Buick Encore to a Kia Soul. I usually changed at 15-20%. Other than electronics, the Soul is better, however.

Been trying to trust it too, but the OCI can get lengthy in an old lady's short tripper-- that thing can easily go 1.5-2years. In one year, it dropped to 60% and I just had to change it.

The manual in my Cobalt says to go by the OLM but not go longer than a year if the OLM doesn't call for a change sooner than that, so you done good.

Did they have the Dexos spec in 2004? ~7.5k seems very reasonable for a synthetic blend. Conventional in this situation? No way..

Doesn't seem like it's taking the dusty driving conditions into consideration so I think what you are doing in fine regardless of oil used. Heck, I want to say some newer stuff (Hyundai for example) specify 3.75k for severe service.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The olm on the wife's Tahoe has always gone way longer that I think it should. She does many short trips,sits in parking lots idling etc. I change the oil and filter every 5k regardless. The olm has never gone off before 5k.

Someone with a similar or same model with majority highway miles said it goes to 10k miles so I'm guessing your wife's will go 8500-9000 miles. It seems that what many consider "hard" on a car - "short trips,sits in parking lots idling etc" - are in fact not. Well, at least the automotive engineers that develop the oil-life monitoring systems don't think it is.

If you want to change the oil and filter every 5k miles, do it and be happy and content. If someone doesn't trust the monitor in their car, good for them. Even when these systems run mileage up to 10k miles, an oil analysis is done and it comes back and says "do 11,000 miles next time", some will have a meltdown over the craziness of that !!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Does it have any buttons on the steering wheel?

The gas pump button shows the mpg and the engine oil life percentage.
no buttons. What's a gas pump button?
Must be a base model

It's the lower left button

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I go by the OLM on the GMC and the Cadillac. Because of the extremely dusty weather, I do a simple drain and refill at 50%. I change it out when it gets down to 1%, along with the air filter and oil.

Not a bad strategy for those who like to use a filter longer but go with a shorter OCI. Keeps a person organized.

Does it have any buttons on the steering wheel?

The gas pump button shows the mpg and the engine oil life percentage.
no buttons. What's a gas pump button?
Must be a base model

It's the lower left button

no buttons like that on her wheel.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Did they have the Dexos spec in 2004? ~7.5k seems very reasonable for a synthetic blend. Conventional in this situation? No way..

Doesn't seem like it's taking the dusty driving conditions into consideration so I think what you are doing in fine regardless of oil used. Heck, I want to say some newer stuff (Hyundai for example) specify 3.75k for severe service.
no dexos back in 04... It finally came on yesterday. 7100 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back