Long periods of idling. How bad is it for a modern engine?

If you have a newer 3.6, DO NOT use a thicker oil as some have suggested.
It is a VVT Engine.
I have a Challenger and recently thought I could use a thicker oil.
Engine light came on, car threw a code.
Went to Auto Store/Code Scanner- yep-code indicated engine oil or filter size.
I drained the oil, put 5W-20 back in .
After 30 miles of driving the light went back off, after sensor indicated the VVT was back in sync.

If you have a newer 3.6, DO NOT use a thicker oil as some have suggested.
It is a VVT Engine.
I have a Challenger and recently thought I could use a thicker oil.
Engine light came on, car threw a code.
Went to Auto Store/Code Scanner- yep-code indicated engine oil or filter size.
I drained the oil, put 5W-20 back in .
After 30 miles of driving the light went back off, after sensor indicated the VVT was back in sync.
Not sure what you used but 5W-30 is an approved oil for many of those 3.6L Pentastar engines. furthermore, 5W-30 in hot conditions is thinner than the 20 in cold conditions.

Not sure what you used but 5W-30 is an approved oil for many of those 3.6L Pentastar engines. furthermore, 5W-30 in hot conditions is thinner than the 20 in cold conditions.
Mobil 1 5W-30, in the older ones 5W-30 could be used, but apparently in a 2021 no.
I will say the 5W-30 was noticeably thicker when pouring out of the bottle.
There it is - only 18,000~ miles
Orange engine light came on.
And confirmed by OBD SCANNER

Attachments

• IMG_1998.jpeg
    IMG_1998.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 28
I believe some modern cars have oil pressure and temperature sensors, and will throw a code if the oil pressure is outside of a normal range at a given temperature, rpm, and setting of the variable oil pump.

With a thicker grade of oil or a restrictive oil filter, oil pressure will be higher than expected. I wouldn't expect a difference of one oil grade to cause an engine code on its own, but it might if combined with an overly restrictive aftermarket filter or a clogged filter.

Using an oversized oil filter should reduce the likelihood of getting a code when using a thicker grade of oil, but I'm not sure if this combination would have some unintended negative effect on the operation of the VVT or the variable flow oil pump.

I believe some modern cars have oil pressure and temperature sensors, and will throw a code if the oil pressure is outside of a normal range at a given temperature, rpm, and setting of the variable oil pump.

With a thicker grade of oil or a restrictive oil filter, oil pressure will be higher than expected. I wouldn't expect a difference of one oil grade to cause an engine code on its own, but it might if combined with an overly restrictive aftermarket filter or a clogged filter.

Using an oversized oil filter should reduce the likelihood of getting a code when using a thicker grade of oil, but I'm not sure if this combination would have some unintended negative effect on the operation of the VVT or the variable flow oil pump.
It was a AMSOIL FILTER, — , it ran fine for a couple of days, then 💥 BAM

Installing a window a/c in your favorite room makes more sense than sitting in your running van all day and risk sucking in CO fumes with the a/c..
I don think he has his home with him "on the road" if I understood his post correctly.

I would suggest getting a ~ 3 metre exhaust extender hose to (hopefully) get the fumes away from the vehicle

Another option,
There is getting to be a number of 12v portable A/C units out there now. The overland community has been using these for awhile and they seem to rave about them.

If you have the money and the roof/bay space:

Put solar on top of your RV and get some Battle Born LiFePo4 (lithium iron phosphate) batteries to store the energy. Then put a mini split for AC. With 6 or 8 LiFePo4 batteries, you can run a mini-split all night.

i did an oil pump on a 2013 pentastar, and refilled the engine with some good ol T6 15-40. threw an oil pressure code, and it had 90+ psi of oil pressure. that was the quietest and smoothest 200k mile pentastar i ever heard, once it had more than 20 psi of oil pressure (variable oil pump failed and couldn't make enough pressure)

Don’t worry about it. When I had my 2010 Escape I’d routinely idle it for an hour a day (my whole lunch break) and still did 7-10K OCIs and the occasional UOAs I did came back fantastic. Idling a modern vehicle is no big deal.

You really answered your own question.
Police cars can idle for hours on end and most are never turned off during a shift hence the heavy duty cooling systems not sure about your R.V but pretty sure the heating and cooling system are built to handle this type of use.
Myself i would be inclined to run a 5w30 in your type of use.
I actually came across a video where someone was confronting officers for leaving their cars idling unattended. At first I was puzzled as to why they would do that (they were in the gym working out, or in the station at work). Apparently when the car is shut off, it "might" cause the laptop to need to be rebooted, and they would have to log back in to the computer. I would not have guessed that. Even myself I'd likely think about mechanical sympathy. We're not talking about being at a scene or on duty....

Another option,
There is getting to be a number of 12v portable A/C units out there now. The overland community has been using these for awhile and they seem to rave about them.
Most of these 12v air conditioning units use 60-80 amps, are expensive, and most are not really portable. You are going to have to run the engine anyway otherwise the battery will run down within an hour or two, furthermore, your vehicle will need to have a heavy duty enough alternator that it will generate the 60-80 amps at idle.
The inexpensive portable "air conditioners" you are seeing are swamp coolers, some of them use ice cubes.

Last edited:
Good question B&W. You are wise to be wary of the heat. We all lose our ability to handle the heat as we age, and heat stroke is accumulative. The risk is real, especially if you are alone, as you will not notice what is happening to your body. Heat stroke negatively affects our alertness and comprehension.
I would not idle an engine for hours like that. So what if the cops do it - they are not concerned one little bit about engine longevity like us plebs need to be! If I was you I would get a separate little AC unit. U read about parallel systems? It is what they do in aircraft. separate systems for separate uses, and save the main system for it's primary purpose. The risk of exhaust fumes is real, especially if you wanna have a rest. Get a rooftop separate unit or some little generator powered system outside the vehicle.
Have you got some ice-making capacity? Check out this-
They are superb. hang them around your neck also if you want to, and get an ice vest also. Vital for when you have to get out in the heat and change a tyre or something. Its not worth being a tough guy and saying "She'll be right mate, only take a few minutes..."
This guy is Australia's best heatstroke expert. Have a read up-
Just a good old wet towel with a fan blowin' on ya face can be good enough most of the time, then use the AC when you really have to. Keep your feet in ice water too, can help a lot. Most important is to cool your core body temperature down after a hot day behind the wheel or working in the heat.
have you looked into a second roof on your RV, like the old Land Rovers had. That makes a huge difference too, to internal temps.
see this photo
There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Back