Giving your stuff away...

Not me but my buddy got divorced and he moved from a mcmansion into a 2 bed condo.

One item was a $1400 Weber. Gave it to a church buddy and told him no don’t want any money, just enjoy it. He also gave away his surround sound and tv.

Gave his Lincoln Navigator L to his bro.

He genuinely seems content to not care about material items anymore.
smart person.. probably happy too.

smart person.. probably happy too.
I know his divorce has a lot to do with how he is today. He even helped his ex-wife drive her car from something like Tampa, to West Palm Beach. I asked him earnestly, why would you do that? He said I'm ok with it, she didn't have anyone else who could help her.

I've known my buddy since childhood so I believe he's the person he appears to be today.

Yes...getting older and time to reevaluate material possessions accumulated over the years and disperse. Initially found it hard to forget the initial outlay but getting easier and more rewarding for the new owner to get value from something gathering dust in the basement or garage.

As Bob Hope, or was it Bing Crosby used to tease......something about an asbestos suitcase? :)

I donate/give away no longer needed items. The useless stuff I pitch. I prefer not to sell things; it's a hassle. Besides, I can't take cash with me either. The Nomex fire suit might come in handy....

Stuff at the end of my driveway magically disappears, its kind of nice. Nobody seems to like tires and rims though. 🤷‍♂️

Anyone else giving stuff away in your older age? Good things you don't use anymore.

Gave my Granddaughter my 2018 Subaru Forester. Nice graduation present and she had a POS Ford before, that was getting rusty.
Daughter and husband each got vintage older S&W revolvers. and ammo.
Daughter got my Sous vide cooker and dehydrator.

Younger Brother got my CZ 527 Varmint rifle with Nikon Monarch 3 scope.
Son got snow blower, leaf blower and string trimmer. Plus I had a plumber replace his toilet while he was doing mine.

Ex-coworker got my push mower. (single Mom and my best friend)

Need to weed out cooking gadgets that I no longer use.

Am I the only one planning before my death, and giving stuff to people that will appreciate and use them?
Are you my long lost cousin?

Well I’m not old but I’ll give stuff away occasionally especially if I have more than one of something. If someone is in need then I’ll give it if I have it no matter my age that’s just who I am. If I’m going to die then I’ll leave most of it to my family to decide what they do with it hopefully they would keep some of it as a memory especially my tools and cars lol. Anything but my organs and blood I will not give them away even when I’m gone. Already decided that and my family knows that and respects it which is great. They always let me make the decision about that even when I was under 18 which I was when I got my license and was asked at the DMV if I wanted to be one. I politely replied no.

been meaning to climb into the attic for a couple years and purge.
Accomplished that yesterday. took a bunch of stuff to Goodwill
found some heirloom stuff from Grandma and my ma ( handmade quilts and some dishes),
will give the heirloom stuff
to my nieces as my adult kids aren't interested in that sort of thing.

Some stuff just needs to be chucked.

When my PC died last week I actually gutted my office and started over. I got rid of a lot of things of no value. Just stuff I found. I didn't throw too many rocks outside. Kept some cooler ones. :love: :cool:

My office is now super organized. Has not even been close to that for 2.5 years.

When I worked in health care, the cmo had a Wharton MBA and a PENN MD. I could not even find her conference phone for which I was going to her office to fix. The desk had so many things on it and was completely cluttered.

My impression may not be what you think…I viewed the utter mess and disarray as a sign of brilliance!! 😂

It doesn’t mean being neat and organized is a sign of a moron either. It’s to each his own. I don’t like my car to be messy at all.

I used to hang on to things at work thinking everything has some use. You’d be amazed how many Cisco routers and switches I have as well as UPS etc. I recall coming across a 1970s phone which said “Property of PA Bell.” I thought ooooh, vintage! I grabbed it but couldn’t tell you where it is now.

Back