How I got my first BITOG "stash" !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike
Not new to information here at all, in fact, I've been researching oil since 2006 when I discovered or started to find easter egss in these magical elixers and I've been hooked as a net researcher. Just like then when I found the oil of my choice or should I say aple of my eye, the mighty Motorcraft 5w-20, the true unicorn that could be found or 10 bucks and some change practically and man it ran like a elite grp iii SM of the time.

Right.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Not new to information here at all, in fact, I've been researching oil since 2006 when I discovered or started to find easter egss in these magical elixers and I've been hooked as a net researcher. Just like then when I found the oil of my choice or should I say aple of my eye, the mighty Motorcraft 5w-20, the true unicorn that could be found or 10 bucks and some change practically and man it ran like a elite grp iii SM of the time.

Right.

I do not need long drain TBN since i will be doing 5k-ish, MMS driven OCis but look at this cst @ 100 and tell me the base stocks aren't on par with the unicorn and holy grail Amsoil or even the M1 AFE or PP..

Typical Specifications
Idemitsu SN/GF-5 0W-20 F-S
ASTM
METHOD
SAE Viscosity grade 0W-20
Color (Appearance) D-1500 L 3.0 (Brown)
Density 15 oC g/cmウ D-4052 0.8476
Flash Point (COC) oC D-92 226
Viscosity, cSt @ 40 oC D-445 45.84
@ 100 oC D-445 8.627
Pour Point oC D-97 -47.5oC
Viscosity Index D-2270 169
TBN HCLO4 (mgKOH/g) D-2896 7.97
Foaming @ 93.5oC (ml) D-892 20-00
Noack Test @ 250 oC, 1Hr wt% D5800

Product Brand Name Viscosity Kinematic Viscosity at 40 degrees C (cSt) Kinematic Viscosity at 100 degrees C (cSt)
Amsoil Signature Series 0W-20 47.3 8.7
Mazda GF-5 with Moly
0W-20 35.0 8.3
Mobil1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-20
44.8 8.7
Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic
0W-20 42.8 8.4

I got 38 quarts of this on clearance for the price of 1 carton of elite oil and filter not including labor!! At this point, the 2 Honda Oil "freebies" are in jep.

Last edited:
Back when O'Reilly was selling cases of Chevron Supreme or Formula Shell Dino for about 29c / qt after rebates. Good ole days, good ole days.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Back when O'Reilly was selling cases of Chevron Supreme or Formula Shell Dino for about 29c / qt after rebates. Good ole days, good ole days.

But the 85 cents a qt I paid are the best of both worlds... good ole days too. To get that cst without using VIIs or polymers means the base stock is really good. not Grp IV or V, who cares..5k-ish OCIs. AmIright.

What makes you believe that this oil has no VIIs when it's obvious that it does?
You got a super buy on a good made in Indiana oil.
Whether it's all that and a bag of potato chips is another matter, but you paid peanuts, you're happy with it and that's all that matters.
Back in the day, the Japanese oils had mega doses of moly, but moly is the costliest add in any oil, so it's only to be expected that most have cut back to more moderate treat rates.

My best find was 110 quarts of Havoline Synthetic for 39 cents each. 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30 weights.

I gave my brother approx 50 quarts cause he is not crazy to search for clearance oil.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
My best find was 110 quarts of Havoline Synthetic for 39 cents each. 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30 weights.

I gave my brother approx 50 quarts cause he is not crazy to search for clearance oil.

Wow!
Great deal on a good oil.
You were in the right place at the right time.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
What makes you believe that this oil has no VIIs when it's obvious that it does?
You got a super buy on a good made in Indiana oil.
Whether it's all that and a bag of potato chips is another matter, but you paid peanuts, you're happy with it and that's all that matters.
Back in the day, the Japanese oils had mega doses of moly, but moly is the costliest add in any oil, so it's only to be expected that most have cut back to more moderate treat rates.

But you can't deny this oil is using high grade GRP III and it is formulated with a high cst @ 100, that much is irrefutable. I paid 85 cents but as you can see, from another TOG-er, 35 or 30 cents a quart is "the going rate price" for clearance oil and I don't see this as very common at all.

Hopefully you have some other vehicles to use it other than the company vehicle.
smile.gif

Company vehicle 2016 Chevy Equinox

Out: Havoline Syn
In: Havoline Syn

Last edited:
Characteristics
1. Fully-Synthetic Fuel Saving engine oil.
2. Provides more stringent sludge control and seal compatibility.
3. Wide temperature range of 0W-20.
3a- High fluidity at low temperature and excellent cold start
3b- Great durability at high temperature
4. Provides improved high temperature and deposit protection for piston.
5. Prolongs engine life by reducing wear.
6. Enhance fast engine responsiveness.
7. Meets the requirement of :
API: SN/GF-5

Last edited:
Characteristics

7. is the only thing of any note in what you've posted.
The rest is what's known in the ad trade as puffery.
.85/qt for any synthetic oil is a very good price and no, .3 or .35/qt is not the going price for clearance oil.
To find any syn for less than a buck a quart without MIR is a rare and excellent deal.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Characteristics

7. is the only thing of any note in what you've posted.
The rest is what's known in the ad trade as puffery.
.85/qt for any synthetic oil is a very good price and no, .3 or .35/qt is not the going price for clearance oil.
To find any syn for less than a buck a quart without MIR is a rare and excellent deal.

Thanks for contributing. This puffery had be hoodwinked and horns-waggled. Needless to ask, what kind of VII does it employ. Could the VII be natural based on the base oil?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back